Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Franchise Player Salary Bug?

Ok, I used my franchise tag on my RP that won't resign due to past injustices (even tho he starts, must be because i've used the franchise tag on him before) anyways, the tag is supposed to give the player a 1 year salary of the avg of the top 5 players at his position...

however...

my RB is getting paid THE top top salary. The top 5 avg is $4 million a year less.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I had the same happen with a WR. I don't know if the franchise tag follows the real life dynamic: the player either gets the top 5 average, or a 20% (i think) raise over their last seasons salary...whichever is greater.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Well when you click on "Franchise Salaries" in a players profile, it says "Franchise players earns a one-year contract at a salary equal to the average of the top five playrs at their position"

so it SHOULD be the top 5 average
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chubby
Well when you click on "Franchise Salaries" in a players profile, it says "Franchise players earns a one-year contract at a salary equal to the average of the top five playrs at their position"

so it SHOULD be the top 5 average

good point. I'd say we can declare that as a bug then.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 PM   #5
The Shadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I had the same happen with a WR. I don't know if the franchise tag follows the real life dynamic: the player either gets the top 5 average, or a 20% (i think) raise over their last seasons salary...whichever is greater.

Game must follow the actual NFL rules on Franchise players. If the same player gets tagged two or more years in a row, it's either the top 5 average or 20% increase over previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

That happened with Walter Jones of Seattle this year. He was tagged 2 years in a row and got 20% raise, which was higher than the top 5 average.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

What are the benefits of designating a player a "Franchise Player"? I think early in my career on previous FOF versions I did that, and all it seemed to do was create Salary Cap hell. Besides the franchise tag and the huge player salary, what does an owner get out of this type of deal?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by gottimd
What are the benefits of designating a player a "Franchise Player"? I think early in my career on previous FOF versions I did that, and all it seemed to do was create Salary Cap hell. Besides the franchise tag and the huge player salary, what does an owner get out of this type of deal?
Guarantee keeping him around, rather than him signing elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Well, generally, the franchise salary is less than what a truly elite player would ask for in a deal. In FOF 2004, it is much harder than ever before to sign someone for less than they ask. If the franchise salary is indeed more than you can afford, you should still franchise an elite player and then trade him in the first weeks of free agency. You get free draft picks with no negative cap impact, as the franchise salary is just that - all salary, no bonus.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Well, generally, the franchise salary is less than what a truly elite player would ask for in a deal. In FOF 2004, it is much harder than ever before to sign someone for less than they ask. If the franchise salary is indeed more than you can afford, you should still franchise an elite player and then trade him in the first weeks of free agency. You get free draft picks with no negative cap impact, as the franchise salary is just that - all salary, no bonus.

I guess I hadn't realized it, but does FOF now consider a franchised player under contract as soon as the FA period starts?

They used to be considered unsigned until after training camp, but I do think it now lists them with their 1 year salary as soon as the FA period starts... making them tradeable.

can anyone confirm this for me while I sit at work?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:09 AM   #10
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:

Guarantees you to keep an all-important player for at least one more year, perhaps to make "one last run at the Championship" before your team crashes out cap-wise because by doing so, you can easily mess your cap situation and that will come back on your face the following year.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:23 PM   #11
PSUColonel1

"I guess I hadn't realized it, but does FOF now consider a franchised player under contract as soon as the FA period starts?

They used to be considered unsigned until after training camp, but I do think it now lists them with their 1 year salary as soon as the FA period starts... making them tradeable.

can anyone confirm this for me while I sit at work?"

I hope not. This would not be good for making the game for difficult- and don't tell me to restrain myself, this should not be happening if in fact it is.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Has anyone else noticed some very average players being tagged as franchise by the computer? It's almost comical with some of the choices it is making, but maybe there is an added incentive that I am missing with the franchise tag?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote