Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Question I need help copying a FOF2001 dynasty from one computer to another

I'd like to transfer a dynasty from one computer to another because my second computer is old and I can see it dying on me at some point. I have FOF2001 installed on both machines. Which files do I need to copy over from the old computer to the new one? As a side note, FOF2001 on my newer computer has had the cities file reworked for the failed Up From The Ashes dynasty, so I'm guessing that I need to overwrite some file because of that as well.

While we're at it, what's the quickest way to copy stuff from one computer to another. I would like to move some other programs to my newer computer before the old one dies and everything is lost.

Thanks!

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Up from the Ashes, baby!

You just need the universe directory. Burn all that stuff to a CD, then copy it all into your universe directory on the new computer. Then make sure it works.

I forget where the city info is stored..
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

My old computer can't burn CDs. Would floppies be good enough? Or is there some doohickey to connect the 2 computers and quickly transfer stuff?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

You might try zipping the universe folder and then using a program like HJSplit than can divide the 1 big zip file into numerous smaller files each small enough to fit on 1 floppy.
You can then move all the parts to your new computer and again use HJSplit to combine the files back together into 1 big zip. Then just unzip it again and there ya go.

Hope this helped.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
My old computer can't burn CDs. Would floppies be good enough? Or is there some doohickey to connect the 2 computers and quickly transfer stuff?

what kind of internet connection do you have?
floppys could be a mighty pain.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

If you have broadband, just get a crossover cable (or a router) and call your local computer nerd in to network the two together. Or borrow a USB Zip Drive (probably the best solution).
Old 12-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
If you have broadband, just get a crossover cable (or a router) and call your local computer nerd in to network the two together. Or borrow a USB Zip Drive (probably the best solution).

If he doesn't have a CD burner, I won't be shocked if he doesn't have any USB ports in that thing.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

I know the newer computer has USB ports. I'm not sure about the old one. I'll have to check tonight.

Oh, and I am on dialup.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-02-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

floppy may be your only option then. I suggest downloading WinRAR, where you can select all your files and compress them into as many 1.44 meg files as needed (the program can do this automatically, then reassemble everything on the next computer).

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 12-02-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola, and you'd better get this right!

I don't want to have to drive to Chicago and punch you for losing the Bill Gates challenge.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

That would be a lot of driving just to punch me. But probably well worth it.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

The files, when zipped, really aren't all that big. Seems like emailing them to yourself (via some dummy email address, yahoo or whatever) might be a lot easier than floppy disks.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-02-2003 at 03:19 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote