Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The "Who Is Going To Be The FOFC Guinea Pig Who Buys Football Mogul This Year" Thread

Just got this...

Sports Mogul September Newsletter

Good morning, football fans!

We are happy to announce that Football Mogul 16 will go on sale next week at the Sports Mogul web site. Connor has been working since the pre-season to create accurate rosters and ratings for all 32 teams, including:

· The correct NFL schedule for the upcoming season.· Accurate pre-season rosters, updated for opening weekend.

· Hand-edited ratings for over 3000 players, including all 2015 NFL Draft picks.

· Updated salary and signing bonus data for over 2,800 players.

· Updated year-by-year stats for every player.

We also have many new features. For example:

· The ability to save and resume games during Play-By-Play mode!
(I add an exclamation point because this limitation has annoyed me for years.)

· Option to skip to the end of the quarter
(similar to the "skip inning" button in Baseball Mogul Diamond).

· Added some “cheat keys” in Play-By-Play mode.
(We used these for testing, but are leaving them in the final version.)

· Added "Point Spread" and "Over/Under" information to the Calendar page, showing the betting line for all upcoming games. The betting lines can move up and down before each game, but they are "locked in" at game start, making it possible to view each team’s record “against the spread”.

· Added "Power Rank" to the Finances Page, evaluating each team based on their overall talent and their recent performance and momentum.

· Added more than 60 players that are projected to go near the top of next year's draft (2016).

· Changed the player generation model from one that uses historical players and “rookie templates” to a system that generates 22 vital stats and 26 unique ratings for each player. This creates some players with skill sets and/or vital stats previously unmatched in NFL history (real life examples of this would include Robert Griffin III, Rob Gronkowski and Troy Polamalu).

· Added an “NFL Average” line to Finances Page, making it easier to compare your team to the league, and to better understand the league's overall financial situation (such as the amount that each team is under the salary cap).

· Moved the extra point back to the 15-yard line. (You can also turn this off, as with other NFL rule changes such as the new overtime rules).

· Added a “Release” button to the Scouting Report, making it easier to trim your roster and stay under the Salary Cap.

.. and fixed problems with last year's game:

· Re-wrote the financial engine, fixing problems with some teams becoming uncompetitive because they were unable to stay profitable.

· Re-wrote the computer AI regarding offering and accepting trades. In last year's version it was fairly easy to get a computer team to draft away draft picks in exchange for mediocre players or relatively small amounts of cash. You could also take advantage of the computer by trading a few average players for one very good player.

· Improved computer AI for signing free agents and/or signing contract extensions. This includes improved code for signing and keeping key players while staying under the salary cap.

· Re-wrote the draft AI. Teams had a habit of making some really dumb picks in last year's version (especially in the early rounds). New code accurately assesses a team's immediate and short-term needs so that these picks are better utilized.

· Corrected a bug with calculation and display of "Total Payroll" and "Salary Cap Room" (we also had some badly-named financial terms, creating the perception that these weren't calculated correctly -- and that the human-controlled team was sometimes being "cheated").

· Improved the computer play-calling AI and clock management. In last year's game, the computer would often kick a "last-second field goal" with 25-30 seconds left on the clock if it didn't have any time outs. It will now get the ball out of bounds of throw an incomplete pass and then kick the field goal with 3-7 seconds left.

· Improved on-field roster management. For example, last year's game would often put an out-of-position player in a formation (such as after a first-string player was injured). The computer coach is now better at filling out each formation in the playbook without creating bizarre on-field situations.

· Fixed the calculation of National Broadcast Revenue to match the current NFL revenue levels, and to better adjust to historical seasons with less than 16 games. (In previous versions, many teams would lose money in 14-game seasons because of lower revenue levels).

· Fixed a bug with the Change Position Dialog so that you can now accurately see the effect that a position change will have on your player’s ratings.

· Fixed the "All Players" option in the Sortable Stats Dialog.

We will be launching Football Mogul 16 next week, after going through some final testing (and fixing some problems created by Windows 10). Please keep in touch through Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on any announcements.

Thanks for your time. Enjoy your weekend!

Clay, Connor and Dee
Sports Mogul Inc.

Sports Mogul Inc. P.O. Box 71 Ashford, CT 06278

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How the AI?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

There are some things on that list that sound like pretty reasonable and positive additions to the game.

For 2000.

(right after the original version came out and these glaring weaknesses were clear as day)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
How the AI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
There are some things on that list that sound like pretty reasonable and positive additions to the game.

For 2000.

(right after the original version came out and these glaring weaknesses were clear as day)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

.. and fixed problems with last year's game:

· Re-wrote the financial engine, fixing problems with some teams becoming uncompetitive because they were unable to stay profitable.

· Re-wrote the computer AI regarding offering and accepting trades. In last year's version it was fairly easy to get a computer team to draft away draft picks in exchange for mediocre players or relatively small amounts of cash. You could also take advantage of the computer by trading a few average players for one very good player.

· Improved computer AI for signing free agents and/or signing contract extensions. This includes improved code for signing and keeping key players while staying under the salary cap.

· Re-wrote the draft AI. Teams had a habit of making some really dumb picks in last year's version (especially in the early rounds). New code accurately assesses a team's immediate and short-term needs so that these picks are better utilized.
I mean, if they finally get these things right, sure, count me in.

But at this point, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in them getting these things right.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
aknott
n00b

I like how some of the selling points are fixing bugs from last year's version. Isn't that what patches are for?
aknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

NOT IT!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I don't see the Beer tent feature.. i'm out
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm most excited about the correct NFL schedule for the upcoming season.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-11-2015 at 02:16 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think if I stumbled on a copy of this at the dollar store (like I once did with one version of FM) I'd fire it up. Short of that, probably not.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

As much as I trumpet how fun of A game Baseball Mogul can be, Football Mogul is as worthless as sneakers on a snake.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm still a fan of Baseball Mogul. Sometimes I don't need my text-sims to be a mile wide and ten miles deep. It's quick and easy and accurate enough.

Never tried Football Mogul, but will keep shying away from it until I see something positive.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think if I stumbled on a copy of this at the dollar store (like I once did with one version of FM) I'd fire it up. Short of that, probably not.

I feel like I did the same thing (found FM at a dollar store) a lifetime ago when I was still in school at Mizzou.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I'm most excited about the correct NFL schedule for the upcoming season.

The fact that this was literally the very first bullet point as a 'feature' made me chuckle.

Here's hoping they've come up with something better - I'd love to see some diversity in the genre.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
AgustusM
College Prospect

I bought it and I have bought it in the past. But I also bought pro football simulator which never really evolved much. Mostly I will buy just about anything that might give me a better NFL simulation.

I thought the past games were OK, but never good enough to maintain my long term interest.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Do it Ben!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So the designer wrote a blog about why you shouldn't buy the game:

The Game Designer: Five Reasons You SHOULDN'T Buy Football Mogul 16

The biggest WTF statement I see is the issue about historical seasons. I've played too many board games that don't skimp on accuracy in the older seasons. A look on pro football reference shows you kicking stats for all 1970 teams. Seems like admitting to a lack of research.

I really liked their card game, Masters of the Gridiron, but they've completely dropped the ball on it. Still only the 2013 season decks that are way over priced (I kickstarted mine for 1/3 of that). The game screams for historical seasons, and they've been in the pipeline for a year.

If that's how they do things, can't say I'll ever give the PC game a try.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Mota
College Benchwarmer

That would not be the article I would write if I was trying to expand my market and sell more games.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

The biggest WTF statement I see is the issue about historical seasons. I've played too many board games that don't skimp on accuracy in the older seasons. A look on pro football reference shows you kicking stats for all 1970 teams. Seems like admitting to a lack of research.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was really really bizarre.

And if you look at it closely, it's actually almost even MORE bizarre.

Among the missing kickers from that screen shot:
Bruce Gossett - SF (tied for most XPA in the league in 1970)
Jim Bakken - STL (3rd most XPA in the league in 1970)

and that's where I'll stop.

Honestly, once I realized how badly f'ed up that screen shot showed this aspect of the game to be, I knew there really wasn't any point in going any farther into it. Whatever process is being used for these seems likely to be the problem ... and he ought to be downright embarrassed to have posted that particular thing as his example, one of the sloppiest moments I can recall seeing from a designer attempting to use social media.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

Apparently this years version of Baseball Mogul was supposed to be a big step forward and it appears as if the only thing big about it is the letdown most users are experiencing. A thread titled This Is The Worst BM Ever, seems to be rather apropos
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, BM was not good this year. I went back to OOTP and haven't looked back. I'm not sure what Clay does anymore as far as programming.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember someone (Digamma?) Had a hilarious FM post back in the day. Something like Vick tossing 65 INTs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I actually did find an old old copy of Football Mogul once in a garbage software bin and played the hell out of it. I'm thinking of was around 2000 or so.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

I know I ran a dynasty thread playing FM at some point. I recall going empty cupboard and starting out my team with the "He Hate Me" guy from the old XFL as my only recognizable player. I did some searching here, couldn't find it. Maybe it was before we switched to this board? Possible.

Ahhh... good times.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #24
AgustusM
College Prospect

I have been playing the new Football Mogul 16 and it is better then most previous versions.

mostly it is a casual game, very little depth. But nice as a quick hit game to play when you have a free 15 min.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Last one I played was a few years ago.. and I could never get my Rams to the Super Bowl.. so it was challenging.

How is the sim stuff holding up Agustus?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I have been playing the new Football Mogul 16

FOUND!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I feel like blowing $30.. but will I?

Madden is great.. but I play every game, so it will take me too long to do drafts and what not.. I'm bored with FOF.. so... I might get FM16.. or not.. depends on how much I drink tonight!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #28
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think it'd be more satisfying to take $30 and flush it down the toilet.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I think it'd be more satisfying to take $30 and flush it down the toilet.

You're probably right! I did find it "decent" a few years ago FWIW.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

In all seriousness, this free online game (there was a thread on it a while back) is really close to the FM experience in feel, control, depth and pace.

Zen GM - Free online single-player sports management simulation video games (Baseball, Basketball, and Football)
Old 09-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #31
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
In all seriousness, this free online game (there was a thread on it a while back) is really close to the FM experience in feel, control, depth and pace.

Zen GM - Free online single-player sports management simulation video games (Baseball, Basketball, and Football)

cool - they even open sourced it (or at least portions of it) dumbmatter/basketball-gm · GitHub including their nifty facegen javascript: (faces.js - A JavaScript library for generating vector-based cartoon faces)