Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #101
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This is a good illustration of the SEC vs other conferences, IMO. Indiana (who was 4-0) plays a tough game against OSU and the inclination is to want to discount OSU. If a team plays well against a highly-ranked SEC team, the inclination is to raise that team up.

I'm not discounting Indiana at all, I think they're a decent team. When I wrote that it was 3rd quarter and very close. My point was more that Ohio State was looking rather listless for a 3rd straight week at home. I know Ohio State is a good team, I just don't think they deserve to be ranked so high, based on how they've performed.

Edit: It's also possible that their perceived talent level has unfairly skewed how I think they should perform vs how they have.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 10-03-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #102
Suicane75
Coordinator

But hey, I'm down like $500 on the season, so what the eff do I know.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I think that what you, and a lot of people see as not being very impressive, is more that there are A LOT of good teams nowadays.

That's really where we disagree, I'll agree with you about that.

What I see are not a lot of good teams, what I see is a landscape filled with very meh teams. That's a complaint that I've had for a number of years now, teams worthy of being "ranked" are few & far between.

I think that adds to the disgruntled nature of what seems like an growing number of fan bases, those who realize that what passes for "good" these days really isn't very.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #104
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA looks so terrible at home
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #105
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My point was more that Ohio State was looking rather listless for a 3rd straight week at home.

Ohio State played at Indiana today. It was not a home game.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #106
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Ohio State played at Indiana today. It was not a home game.

I stand corrected.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #107
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's really where we disagree, I'll agree with you about that.

What I see are not a lot of good teams, what I see is a landscape filled with very meh teams. That's a complaint that I've had for a number of years now, teams worthy of being "ranked" are few & far between.

I think that adds to the disgruntled nature of what seems like an growing number of fan bases, those who realize that what passes for "good" these days really isn't very.

Hey, you could be right. I think though, that either way, the slaughtering some teams get for a loss, is a tad dramatic. People will be shouting to the hills tomorrow about how Ole Miss sucks, and I think that's ridiculous.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #108
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This is a good illustration of the SEC vs other conferences, IMO. Indiana (who was 4-0) plays a tough game against OSU and the inclination is to want to discount OSU. If a team plays well against a highly-ranked SEC team, the inclination is to raise that team up.

It took Missouri like 8 weeks to get ranked again at 10-2 last season after losing to Indiana. It isn't discounting the Big 10 it's discounting Indiana.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, you could be right. I think though, that either way, the slaughtering some teams get for a loss, is a tad dramatic. People will be shouting to the hills tomorrow about how Ole Miss sucks, and I think that's ridiculous.

I never bought the "OMG Ole Miss is unstoppable" kind of hype nor poll surge. To lose to a Florida team that I just saw struggle badly against UT's ineptitude last week, it's not that Ole Miss sucks ... it's just that they really aren't THAT good either.

It's a playoff elimination loss IMO.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I may need to revise my prediction: Butch Jones might not make it past the end of the season (in order to be fired next year) after all.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #111
Izulde
Head Coach

Huge, huge win by UNLV over UNR in Reno to not only win the Fremont Cannon, but get to 2-3. I didn't expect more than 2 wins out of Sanchez's first season, so he's already ahead of the curve. Was a tight 4th quarter, but we pull out the 23-17 victory with our backup QB for most of the game, as Decker once again got hurt.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #112
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I may need to revise my prediction: Butch Jones might not make it past the end of the season (in order to be fired next year) after all.

Its been painful past 3 weeks but am glad AR won.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This has been a very enjoyable weekend of football with almost every game turning out how I hoped (with the exception of Indiana.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Exciting ending to this ND-Clemson game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Congrats Butter/CU
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #116
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I never bought the "OMG Ole Miss is unstoppable" kind of hype nor poll surge. To lose to a Florida team that I just saw struggle badly against UT's ineptitude last week, it's not that Ole Miss sucks ... it's just that they really aren't THAT good either.

It's a playoff elimination loss IMO.

Just goes to show that nobody is ever safe in the SEC with all those SEC teams on the schedule.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #117
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Man, Fournette is ridiculous. Him and Elliott are both 1st round, top 10 pick types.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #118
bhlloy
Coordinator

Those two plus Derek Henry really are the new breed of RB. It's scary how big and athletic those guys are. Chubb is pretty amazing as well but he's a bit more of a traditional RB in terms of style.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:43 AM   #119
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Just got back to my room here....what a game.
Wow, what a finish. Don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Congrats certainly in order today to our Clemson contingent, as well as our Iowa contingent. And UNLV too I reckon.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #121
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Interesting that the teams with the two top scoring defenses in the country play each other next week. Combined, they allow less points per game than Baylor averages scoring about every 13 minutes.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #122
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Georgia is the Clemson of the SEC

Not even sure what this is supposed to mean.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #123
Butter
Coordinator

Beats bad teams, gets blown out by good teams.

Although I'm sure after last night everyone is prepared to show how Notre Dame sucked all along instead of giving Clemson credit for being up 21-3 through three quarters and holding off a great Irish rally.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #124
Butter
Coordinator

And holy crap was I wet after last night's game. Just poured the entire second half. Can't believe the field held up so well.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #125
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We weren't soaked ...I broke out the camo duck hunting rain suits and had a hurricane party.

Looks like the rain is taking a bad turn in the midlands of SC this am.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I guess this is the standard DeLoss was talking about.

Quote:
“We're going to have good years again,” Dodds promised. “Our bad years are not that bad. Take a school like Missouri. Our bad years are better than their good years. But we've created a standard.”
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #127
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Beats bad teams, gets blown out by good teams.

Although I'm sure after last night everyone is prepared to show how Notre Dame sucked all along instead of giving Clemson credit for being up 21-3 through three quarters and holding off a great Irish rally.
I figure the people who don't want to give Clemson credit will just say ND lost the game, Clemson didn't win it. +150 yards gained, 3 TO's in our half and one at the 2. Idk how much "Luck of the Irish" was ever real, but it hasn't been the past 2 years. I swear we've recovered like 25% of fumbles. Oh well. Fwiw I still don't understand why we were running side to side and zone blocking so much in the 1st half. With that O-Line, in those conditions (and against a team missing its starting DT), just line up in an I and go downhill. That's also the 2nd time in 3 nights (Steelers in OT) on a huge must-get play a team ran a power sweep with the QB instead of at least a read-option, or a bootleg with a run/pass option, or just handing off to the RB.

Fwiw I've also always been a big proponent of going for 2 early, but that's a time where going for 2 when we got within 12 early 4th Q ended up coming back to bite us. Assuming both XP's would have been made though, which is no guarantee (holder probably would've bobbled the snap.)
Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #128
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

That 2 pt was actually a QB RPO play. The QB had the choice to throw the ball he chose to run. Kelly admitted to as much in the post game.

I dunno about the TO's man.
KO return was a helmet on a football.
INT was a beautiful zone blitz, he never saw the LB there until it was too late.
Fumble at the 2 was admittedly a ND gaffe.

Oh well. However it happened I'll take it.

Also, I've always heard crap stories about ND fans. Had the chance to interact with probably 20 Saturday night and all were first class. We even had one in our section who was taking immortal hell from Clemson fans after talking shat for 30 minutes pre-game. He was laughing it off and said "I guess I deserve that". I was impressed.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #129
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Be wary. Say what you want about Mizzou this season but UConn gave us a 9-6 nail-biter. They have a decent defense and will definitely get up for a game against a good team.

I was at the UConn / BYU game. I was hoping for a good game, went in tied at half and we couldn't put them away until the 4th qtr and the only way we did it was because of two stupid plays.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I swear we've recovered like 25% of fumbles.

Through 5 games this season there have been a total of 16 fumbles (10 by ND, 6 by opponents), 6 recovered by ND (4 of their own, 2 opponents)

Notre Dame Football :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics

Last season there were 37 fumbles recorded (24 by ND, 13 by opponents) with 19 recovered by ND (12 of their own, 7 opponents)

The difference in your perception & the numbers could very well lie with points off turnovers.

Last year ND was outscored on points off turnovers 233-114 despite only being (-4) in turnover margin.

This year they've been outscored 42-18 despite being only (-2) in turnover margin
Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #131
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I dunno about the TO's man.
KO return was a helmet on a football.
INT was a beautiful zone blitz, he never saw the LB there until it was too late.
Fumble at the 2 was admittedly a ND gaffe.

Oh well. However it happened I'll take it.
I'm not taking anything away from Clemson. It's a part of the game, and they made those plays happen. Just saying the people who don't want to give Clemson credit will latch onto that instead of just the predictable "ND was overrated" argument.

I suspect "Clemson can't win the big games" will be their undeserved rep until they at least make the playoff. It's just like the "Tony Romo isn't clutch" crowd - when he makes a big comeback it wasn't a big game, when he doesn't it magically becomes one.
Quote:
Through 5 games this season there have been a total of 16 fumbles (10 by ND, 6 by opponents), 6 recovered by ND (4 of their own, 2 opponents)

Last season there were 37 fumbles recorded (24 by ND, 13 by opponents) with 19 recovered by ND (12 of their own, 7 opponents)

The difference in your perception & the numbers could very well lie with points off turnovers.

Last year ND was outscored on points off turnovers 233-114 despite only being (-4) in turnover margin.

This year they've been outscored 42-18 despite being only (-2) in turnover margin
Oh, my perception's definitely skewed by Saturday's game and last year's ASU game where the season started going off the rails. It doesn't matter if we recover 100% or 0 fumbles vs. a UMass or Rice.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #132
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
We weren't soaked ...I broke out the camo duck hunting rain suits and had a hurricane party.

Looks like the rain is taking a bad turn in the midlands of SC this am.

Yeah, you have duck hunting rain suits, I had to buy waterproof boots just for this. I am a city slicker, nothing illustrated that more for me than my lack of preparedness for this compared to some of our seatmates.

Sorry to see the low country got it so bad.