Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Bobble
College Prospect

Fantasy football official score change -- need advice.

I need some advice, guys. I was just informed that Denard Robinson's stats for last week (week 15) were changed from 28 rushing yards to 41. I happened to beat the guy that started Robinson by 1.2 points so this change would have put him in the final instead of me. However, my site (myfantasyleague.com) has not recognized that change and still has Robinson at 28 rushing yards (we have automatic stat changes set to be on but I think the Elias Sports Bureau made the change after my site's cutoff time much like Yahoo, I think). I'm the commish.

If it didn't involve me, I think it would be a pretty easy choice to say that we use the site's scoring and it they don't recognize the change, that's a tough break. Or, per most other things, we don't go back and change last week once this week's games start.

Thoughts? Some compromise?

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think you are right - there logically has to be some cut off where the stats for the previous weeks game are considered final, especially for playoff matchups. It's tough with you being the commish though. That's not going to go over well.

I'd be interested in hearing how an extra 13 rushing yards just went missing and whether the mainstream sites also had the same problem. If not, probably a reason to move your league next season. That's a big alteration.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Bobble
College Prospect

As I do the research, it's all in how you score a fumble play. Robinson fumbled and another Jag recovered the ball back 13 yards. It was at least initially taken from Robinson's rush yards which appears to be in line with the NFl guideline, page 32: http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/document...tisticians.pdf

I'm not sure why there was a change.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how an extra 13 rushing yards just went missing and whether the mainstream sites also had the same problem. If not, probably a reason to move your league next season. That's a big alteration.

From what I'm hearing several sites (like Yahoo leagues) didn't change his rush yards. Can anyone confirm?
Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yahoo has a notice up right now:

"Please be sure that we are aware the NFL is crediting Denard Robinson with a total of 41 rushing yards for his Week 15 matchup. We have reached out to our official data provider for clarification on why no stat corrections were applied to Robinson's point total. Since the first game of Week 16 has begun, all matchups are considered final, and no further changes or stat corrections will be made. The commissioner of your league can edit team points for your league’s matchups."
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
As I do the research, it's all in how you score a fumble play. Robinson fumbled and another Jag recovered the ball back 13 yards. It was at least initially taken from Robinson's rush yards which appears to be in line with the NFl guideline, page 32: http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/document...tisticians.pdf

I'm not sure why there was a change.

Because a player on the other team was ruled to have touched the ball after the fumble and before it traveled to where it was recovered.

Yahoo's statement is what's required since they have a data provider and having a deadline is realistic.

Sometimes it sucks to be commish, and this is one of those times. I'd think highly of a commissioner who made the change.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once Wednesday has passed I believe all stats from the previous week are supposed to be final. I don't see how you can walk it back now. Especially since there was a game on Thursday and the correction didn't happen until Friday.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Sometimes it sucks to be commish, and this is one of those times. I'd think highly of a commissioner who made the change.

You mean a commish that made the manual change from 28 to 41? Our league DOES apply stat changes like this automatically IF they're done by noon on Thursday. Apparently, this change wasn't. After Thursday, scores are considered final for the league -- that's why the site still reflects 28 rush yards.

Do you think we should open the can of worms of manual stat changes days or weeks after the fact? I can't see that being a good idea.

Last edited by Bobble : 12-27-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: specificity
Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, if you have that rule in place I can't see how you can walk it back and your scoring is final.

Question, was there any talk of this change happening earlier in the week? Was it discussed as a possibility with any kind of exposure?

Last edited by stevew : 12-27-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Question, was there any talk of this change happening earlier in the week? Was it discussed as a possibility with any kind of exposure?

First I heard of this change was an email from the injured party at 7:40PM today. He uses the term "miscalculated" so I'm not sure he's aware of all the backstory on this change. I haven't responded to him or the league yet.

Obviously, the website we use is aware of stat changes and, as the commish, you can opt to have them applied automatically (we do). Most stat changes are changes in who gets credit for a tackle and we don't have individual defensive players so I'm not sure if the guys are generally aware that there are stat changes.

Yahoo, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, my site, and a few others all seem to credit Robinson with 28 rushing yards. Anyone in an ESPN league? Do they have 28 or 41 for their fantasy player scoring? I know they have 41 for his stats if you look him up but what did they score for him in fantasy football?

Any other sites? Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by Bobble : 12-27-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe ESPN force changed it. I briefly googled it.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fantasy owners get Steve Harvey'd by Denard Robinson stat correction | NFL | Sporting News
Old 12-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #13
bhlloy
Coordinator

So how do you even "correct" this in a playoff week? Would the result be the same this week or different with the different matchup? And even if that is the case, you prepare your team and make waiver pickup decisions in a playoff week based on who you are facing.

I just don't see how this is now fixable, given that the week after is 90% complete. If this had been caught on Friday and nobody had a Thursday night player, maybe I would consider being the bigger person and manually fixing it. I can't see any way you can fix it now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So how do you even "correct" this in a playoff week? Would the result be the same this week or different with the different matchup? And even if that is the case, you prepare your team and make waiver pickup decisions in a playoff week based on who you are facing.

I just don't see how this is now fixable, given that the week after is 90% complete. If this had been caught on Friday and nobody had a Thursday night player, maybe I would consider being the bigger person and manually fixing it. I can't see any way you can fix it now.

I hear you. If it didn't involve my team, I doubt I would have even started a thread. I'd just politely say, "This is the site we use. Their stats are official as of Thursday at noon. Not to mention, I can't really make a change like this after the next week's games have started."

However, it DOES involve my team so I want to be as fair as I can and get some nonpartisan opinions and/or see if there are options I haven't thought of.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #15
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
You mean a commish that made the manual change from 28 to 41? Our league DOES apply stat changes like this automatically IF they're done by noon on Thursday. Apparently, this change wasn't. After Thursday, scores are considered final for the league -- that's why the site still reflects 28 rush yards.

Do you think we should open the can of worms of manual stat changes days or weeks after the fact? I can't see that being a good idea.

If you weren't the commissioner, it seems like a can of worms you shouldn't think of opening.

At this point, you have a good idea of how week 16 will turn out. Would he have done better than you this week? If so, then you have to consider whether this would affect a third person - your current opponent.

I think the modification was made before 4 PM EST on Thursday - probably just after most fantasy deadlines. Someone would have had to be watching very closely to make an objection before TNF. And then, all the parties involved would need special notifications. There's no way that's fair to everyone.

So you have absolutely no reason to make a change other than as a pure gesture of sportsmanship. Is money involved?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #16
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
If you weren't the commissioner, it seems like a can of worms you shouldn't think of opening.

Right. If the final didn't involve my team, not manually revising the scoring could be seen merely as "lazy" and not as "self-serving".

Quote:
At this point, you have a good idea of how week 16 will turn out. Would he have done better than you this week? If so, then you have to consider whether this would affect a third person - your current opponent.

For week 16, I have scored 106.10 with no one left. My opponent in the final scored 99.45 with no one left. The Robinson-owning team has 75.20 with AJ Green left, so a possible win but not likely. That's assuming no stat changes this week and that none of those teams would have picked up/started other players depending on matchups after last week.

Quote:
I think the modification was made before 4 PM EST on Thursday - probably just after most fantasy deadlines. Someone would have had to be watching very closely to make an objection before TNF. And then, all the parties involved would need special notifications. There's no way that's fair to everyone.

From stevew's link, it was done on Friday, the 25th. A "Christmas present" if you will.

I'm not sure I fully follow. Are you saying that trying to notify everyone before TNF that their opponent this week has changed is unfair (keep the scoring as is) or that expecting a player to log a scoring "error" before TNF is unfair (what was he supposed to do)?

Quote:
So you have absolutely no reason to make a change other than as a pure gesture of sportsmanship. Is money involved?

Money is involved. It's a difference of about $100 between losing in the semi-final and losing in the final.

If one is suggesting a manual score change, then I'd have to ask how late is too late to change? If I saw today a stat change from 3 weeks ago that would have put an entirely different team in the playoffs but it wasn't implemented by our league because it was after the deadline, would you see us re-seeding the entire playoff bracket? You have to use the existing lineups, right? What do you tell guys who like to match up players versus their opponent's (i.e. I start the WR that your QB will be throwing to)?

Even if you try to do some middle ground (3-way final or split the money), you're still setting a dangerous precedent, no?

I'm just trying to make sure I'm truly being unbiased here.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I would keep everything as is, but make an offer (privately) to pool your and the Robinson owner's prize money any divide it in two between the two of you, as a show of good faith.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

https://forums.footballguys.com/foru...u-handling-it/

Some more impartial internet opinion for you to keep handy, from a site that you presumably have no connection to.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

Sort of reminds me of the Utah-USC game a few years ago when the pac 10 changed a call from the last play of the game well after the game ended. The changed play resulted in a touchdown that had no impact on the game result but did impact the betting line. Bettors who had cashed in already got to keep their winnings and those on the other side who kept their tickets cashed out then too.

As a result of the game Vegas instituted a rule that scores are final at midnight the day the game ends. Seems a hard cut off is necessary in some form or fashion.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote