Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #101
Ramzavail
College Starter

dola: the knee jerk reaction would be to isolate that person and demonize him. But it just illustrates the point that you can't tell so stop trying to legislate with your votes.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #102
miked
College Starter

Let's not all forget that Piazza was a cheater too. And outside his quantitative ability to "frame" pitches, he was a pretty mediocre catcher.

I guess if he admitted to doing andro, we can assume he didn't roid up either. Not saying he does not deserve it, he was probably one of the best hitting catchers in history. Just that the silliness involving Bonds and Clemens should be put in to perspective considering there is as much "evidence" Piazza was a juicer as there was against the Rocket.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #103
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
My dream is someone like Cal Ripken Jr. or Griffey comes out and says he used PEDs.

Minds would be blown.

Or how about Jeter?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2486859
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #104
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

What bothers me most about the way voting is conducted is that players are voted on based on whether or not they meet the arbitrary "Are they in the top 10 eligible?" standard.

It should be simple - and I'm not the first to say this by any means.

By each players name there should be one question - "Does this player belong in the Baseball Hall of Fame?" - and everyone is judged on that merit alone.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #105
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola - I know not every writer voted for the max 10 players - but I suspect it would make a difference.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #106
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fangraphs actually discussed Edmonds, FWIW:

Appreciating Jim Edmonds | FanGraphs Baseball
Quote:
But that doesn’t mean that Jim Edmonds didn’t do it all. He was a world champion, a four-time All-Star and an eight-time Gold Glover. He had the well-rounded, complete game of a Hall of Famer. He had the bat of a Hall of Famer, and he had the glove of a Hall of Famer. He had the peak years of a Hall of Famer, and he had the signature moments of a Hall of Famer. He’ll always have all of that. He just didn’t have the support of a Hall of Famer.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #107
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Edmonds was certainly worthy of 5% and is one of the big "unsung heroes" of the Cardinals resurgence. Those late 90s teams were all over the hill and mediocre. Everyone remembers McGwire, but fossils like Ron Gant, Gary Gaetti, Eric Davis and a 75-year old Willie McGee (who was part of the 1982 title team) all had significant roles. I think Kent Merker and the Benes brothers were most of the pitching then too. It was rough baseball. They were 75-86 in 1999. Then, in 2000, they added two key guys: Jim Edmonds and Darryl Kile (RIP). That season, they won the central with 95 wins. They still rolled out 33+ year old guys in Ray Lankford, Mac, Eric Davis, Shawon Dunston and even a cameo by 36-year old Will "the Thrill" Clark during one of Mac's injury stints. But Edmonds was a monster, he hit .295/.411/.583 with 42 HR and over 100 walks. He had a 6.3 WAR and went on to have WAR values of 5.8, 6.7, 6.0 and 7.2 his first 5 seasons in St. Louis. Overall, he averaged a WAR of 5.5 in a stretch from 1995 (3rd season) through 2005. If you take Dawson's best similar stretch (78-88), he averaged 4.6. The only reason people talk about Dawson is he was allowed to wallow in the mud from 1989 through 1995, when he averaged a WAR of 1.1. But, he managed another 140 HR and got some bigger totals.

For their career, here are the two guys' 162 game average:
Dawson: .279/.323/.482, 27 HR, 98 RBI, 85 R, 19 SB and 3.07 Ave WAR (21 years)
Edmonds: .284/.376/.527, 32 HR, 97 RBI, 101 R, 5 SB and 3.55 Ave WAR (17 years)

I think it's pretty clear - whether you look at career averages or best 10-year prime, Edmonds had better numbers. Plus, the Cards went from 70-80 wins to 95 in the first year with Edmonds (with marginal talent around him). The Cubs won 70 games in 1986 before Dawson and only had one year above 80 wins with him. Heck, the Expos were in the 70s and 80s with him as well. They had one of the best years the season he left (91 wins in 1987). Dawson's Cubs had 76 that year (his MVP season).

Last edited by Arles : 01-07-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #108
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Final point on Edmonds - Here are the 162-game averages for Jim (2.5% of the vote) and Edgar Martinez (43%):

Edmonds (17 years): .284/.376/.527, 32 HR, 97 RBI, 101 R, 291 total bases, 5 SB and 3.55 Ave WAR
Martinez (18 years): .312/.418/.515, 24 HR, 99 RBI, 96 R, 293 total bases, 4 SB and 3.79 Ave WAR

I don't see a 40% difference in those numbers - especially since one was a DH and the other won the gold glove in CF 8 times.

Last edited by Arles : 01-07-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #109
tarcone
Coordinator

Thank you for the posts on Edmonds. I do appreciate the numbers. But, man, that pisses me off even more that he didn't get at least 5%.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Well if anyone really loves Jim Edmonds, he's on The Real Housewives of OC so you can catch him there.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
My dream is someone like Cal Ripken Jr. or Griffey comes out and says he used PEDs.

Minds would be blown.

And in that scenario I'd be just as fine with them being forever absent from the Hall.

And, yes, if it was Maddux I'd say & feel the same.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #112
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Thank you for the posts on Edmonds. I do appreciate the numbers. But, man, that pisses me off even more that he didn't get at least 5%.

I probably would not put him in but I find it absurd he's off in one try. Felt the same with Whitaker.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I probably would not put him in but I find it absurd he's off in one try.

Kinda this, I mean a LOT worse have reached 5% in the past.

But since I don't know that I'd put him in at any point I'm not overly upset about it either.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #114
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The fallacy in comparing Edmonds to Dawson is in assuming Dawson deserved to be a HOFer. He's didn't and thus, that doesn't make Edmonds anywhere close to being one. Whether he should have gotten more than 5%, I can agree with that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #115
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The fallacy in comparing Edmonds to Dawson is in assuming Dawson deserved to be a HOFer. He's didn't and thus, that doesn't make Edmonds anywhere close to being one. Whether he should have gotten more than 5%, I can agree with that.

Yeah but you're already an unabashed small haller.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #116
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Well if anyone really loves Jim Edmonds, he's on The Real Housewives of OC so you can catch him there.
The guy has always come off as a major douchebag. I have a feeling that's a contributing factor to his lack of votes. Then again, the baseball Hall of Fame has always come off more like a country club than a recognition of baseball greatness.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And in that scenario I'd be just as fine with them being forever absent from the Hall.

And, yes, if it was Maddux I'd say & feel the same.

You may have been asked this before, so apologies if so but I'm curious what your thoughts are on all the older players who were outwardly popping "greenies" for decades and what impact that should have on their HOF inclusion.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote