Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

How can I be smarter than D-I coaches?

From an article at ESPN on Vanderbilt's Matt Freije:

Quote:
That's saying something for a player who went unrecruited out of Shawnee Mission West High School by the nearby Kansas Jayhawks, his favorite team growing up. For Freije, the final choices were Northwestern, Utah, Iowa State and Vanderbilt, where he became a member of Stallings' first recruiting class.

I saw this kid play in high school a couple of times and even did a story on him when I was working as a stringer for a local paper. When I saw him play, I thought he was probably the third best high school player to play that I ever saw in person behind Alonzo Mourning and Anthony Peeler. I wasn't surprised that he went to Vanderbilt, because from talking to the kid and his coaches I knew he was a bright kid with a lot of brains. The first time I saw him play was when he was a sophomore and he was awesome even then.

But I just can't figure out how he slipped through the cracks, especially with KU right down the road. Now granted, I saw Wichita State's Jamar Howard play a few weeks later and thought he might be even better than Freije. And he might still break out. He had a solid sophomore season and he's the No. 2 scorer on a team ranked No. 2 on ESPN's Top 10 Mid-Majors.

Do I have a future as a D-I recruiting coordinator?

Last edited by kcchief19 : 12-03-2003 at 10:46 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
jerem77
Mascot

You can start by editing the title of your post.

jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jerem77
You can start by editing the title of your post.

Touche.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Chief, the deal with that is Mangino (or Jowls) doesn't like local talent apparently.. he thinks Kansas should recruit outta Texas..

And He's also afraid to try and go head to head with K-state for instate recruits.. so more often then not he is passive with instaters...

Also Chief.. listening to 810 the last couple weeks.. its all (K-state is given no respect.. wah wah wah) its gotten so bad that i've reached a point of rooting for oklahoma to destroy them, and i dislike oklahoma just as much. Hell, i've even got tickets lined up to go
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:05 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Also Chief.. listening to 810 the last couple weeks.. its all (K-state is given no respect.. wah wah wah) its gotten so bad that i've reached a point of rooting for oklahoma to destroy them, and i dislike oklahoma just as much. Hell, i've even got tickets lined up to go

I don't really listen much to the other shows due to my schedule this semester but I'm guessing you're referring to Kietzman. I've gotten sick of his K-State act and just haven't listened the past couple of days. It getting to sound a lot like
Another host: "OU is the consensus number 1 team and one of the most dominating teams of the last 10 years. It will be a tough game for K-State"
Kietzman: "Waaaaaaaaaaaah!"

When he's on fire with a good topic, he's capable of as good of radio as in the country- national or local. The show doesn't typically get bogged down on useless crap (anyone feel free to please explain to me why sports talk shows blow entire segments on what was on survivor last night or a stupid national fad or bragging about some bowel movement or something) that usually kills a lot of local shows and even national shows (Tony Kornheiser, I'm talking about you).

Oh, and while I'm mentioning 810, good riddance Whitlock. Glad you're not on 810 any more. Too bad the morning guy is just some generic schmo who isn't worth much.

I got nothing for or against OU but a ton of respect. They don't seem to have the kind of problems that follow a lot of major schools (the Florida Three, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc). Plus, this year, if they run the table, I'm thinking they're maybe the best college football team I've seen in my life. The way with which they win their games is absolutely amazing. Who the hell goes into Austin and drops that asskicking on UT? I know Texas doesn't show up for the big games, but not like that! Plus, that non conference schedule was pretty good: no big games but no real rummies either- North Texas and Fresno State did good in small conferences, UCLA is bowl bound, and Alabama just happened to be on an off year. I'm kindof rooting for them to finish off the last two games in style because I think they might be worthy of those "best team in X years" discussions.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:50 AM   #6
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Si,

Its getting much worse.. Believe me, i'll be extremely thrilled to see K-State get pasted.. Then end up in the Poulan Weed Eater bowl or something against Backwoods Louisana Tech

To be honest i'll be glad when College Football Season is over so i can finally hear some real sports talk.. or perhaps its time to get a damn Xm Radio or something

To be honest, i can't stand Whitlock either.. He thinks too highly of himself and thinks anything he says is like the word of god. I'd be happy if he got shipped out of town. I'd rather have no editoral's in sports then have to read his.

And while i'm pissed off.. Lets discuss Umkc Basketball/K-State Basketball on the station.. Why? who listens to it? I'm cool with them doing High School Football on the radio.. but jeez.. Homerism much?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote