Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
JimJam19
n00b

How do you build your team?

How do you guys go about it?

Do you try to concentrate on a few key positions on both sides of the ball and lock guys up long term to keep a good core together, or do you kinda just go with it and fill positions as need be?

I also ask becasue I am rather curious how it works in football. I love football, love playing it, and watching it. I feel I have a decent amount of knowledge of the game, but I never really studied it and such like I have with baseball, my true love. How do they do it with the salary cap and all? Is there a strategy that teams go by and works well?

JimJam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I build a solid core on defense and then fill key positions on offense.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

I try to develop my own stars through the draft and fill in a starter here or there and add depth through free agency. I rarely pay over $3 million a year for another team's free agent. I try to use my cap space to lock up my own players to long term contracts. Its also good to lock up your key players before they enter the final year of their contract if you can, in the end you save a lot of money doing it because, in most cases they will ask for more money the closer they get to their contract year and the more experience they get in the league. When negotiating contracts I also try to keep the base salary for each year as close as I can to each other, within my current cap situation. This helps prevent spikes in your cap number.

There are a thousand ways to go about FOF, but thats the basic way I usually go about things.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #4
JimJam19
n00b

I've tried going about it both ways so far. I have gone through spurts where i put together an amazing defense and locked them all up long term, because I have always been told defense wins games. But I now beg to differ. To go along with this D, I also had a good to very good offense to put some points on the board.

I then tried going the opposite way after having season upon season of failure. I put an offense which couldnt be stopped, and a good defense to back them up. But this also didnt work.

I am now starting to realize the key to FOF is your special teams, its gotta be!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #5
miked
College Starter

I took the Jets...I just cry.

What happened to Pennington? My scout is VG in QB and so is my offensive coordinator. Pennington rots. I guess I will have to draft the next Ryan Leaf.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by miked
What happened to Pennington?

That and McGahee missing were the 1st 2 things I noticed abut this version.

Luckily, lighthousekeeper has the player editor for these things.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

How I build my teams depends on the talent available to me. I've won with teams that played good defense and had a don't-screw-it-up offense. I've won with teams that lit up the scoreboard and had bend-but-don't-break defenses. And I've had teams that won big by having good offenses and defenses at the same time. But that balance is pretty rare and I usually go to one side or the other within two seasons.

I tend to build on my strengths and eliminate my weaknesses - not necessarily in that order.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
Easy Mac

First I draft a franchise QB.
Then I pick up a cheap rb in the 50-60's for potential.
Get 4 cheap wr's around 50-60 in potential.
Draft cornerbacks first, then LB, then DT.

I tend to get the offense set first and more through free agency. Then I draft from the back to front on defense.

Works for me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
JimJam19
n00b

I couldnt help but click on your link there Easy Mac. I must say I am very impressed, your taste in movies and shows is truly amazing. I am extremley jealous.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

On defense, I acquire personnel to fit my defensive system and philosophy. On offense (believe it or not), I go after the "best valued" talent, and build an offensive system around my players.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Same as Skydog. On defense I have very specific things I look for. Lock down man to man CB's. Hard hitting OLB's. Great play diagnosing and run stuffing MLB, etc.

On offense, I'll adjust my game plan to fit my players. I have a great OL and a solid RB, I'll play 1990 NY Giant football and pound teams. I have a great QB and stud WR, I'll play the air it out game. I have both. . . the other teams are in real trouble.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 PM   #12
Easy Mac

hmmm, strange result from my strategy:

This past season, my team went from the #1 offense in passing/running/scoring to #13 in the run, 17 in the pass, and 21 in scoring.

However, my defense went from #31 v. the run, #14 v. the pass, and #28 v. scoring to #1 v. the run, #4 v. the pass, and #1 v. scoring.

I went 11-5 and lost in round 2 of the playoffs... who would have known.

And my 2005 MVP of the League QB threw 6 tds and 12 INT's in 12 games in 2006. My RB who gained 2300 yards in the air and ground in 2005 gained 1000 yards in 16 games in 2006. A weird, weird season. And now I let my RB go in free agency (wanted 6 million a year, but his potential is 53.), and the RB I drafted at #24 (68 potential in the draft) busted (now 35). First time I've had a high volatility bust that high in the draft... But I may finally have a WR with the guy I got in round 2 (+5 potential after training camp).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

I build through the draft, and tend to fill a couple of big holes a year through free agency once I have a team that's close to greatness.

I have always started with QB & offensive line. They take the longest time to develop, in my book. Then defensive line, followed by secondary, skill players (receivers and backs), and linebackers.

I figure if you can get that stud QB, and develop him, and put a good line in front of him, the backs and WRs don't matter quite as much, and can often be acquired through free agency.

On defense, I figure that if you can stuff the run, and put pressure on the QB from your front four (I can't stand the 3-4, always run a 4-3), it'll mask weaknesses in the secondary, at least for a while.

Then again, I'm still trying to get a handle on FOF2004, so who knows whether I'll have to reshape my thinking or not.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:16 AM   #14
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

dola.

This thread reminds me of what's great about the game, and good strategy games in general...there's often more than one solution to a problem.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote