Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #151
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Cherry pick some things for your argument. The average twenty something is dumber than a bag of rocks.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #152
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
So, this data is a couple of years old, but of those, California is the only one that isn't a net receiver of federal tax dollars.

Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers? - The Atlantic

I hate these statistical debate. What does it even mean to be a taker and giver in these debates? DO you count military bases? What about financial aid grants and research grants? NASA spending? Government subsidies for agriculture, green energy? How do you factor in the ability for income tax payers to deduct state income taxes from their federal taxes (higher-paying tax rates vs. states with no income taxes)? You get the idea. I don't mean this to be a snarky set of questions, but just that it's a rather ambiguous statement or concept due to the large number of complexities and factors involved.

California is going to have some serious problems with it's pension obligations. Plus, with the current tech boom starting to fizzle out (and IPOs being at a standstill), the tax revenue of California is falling short in the most recent projections.

BTW, why are New Mexico and Maine considered red states in that article's study? I've always thought they were left-of-center states.

"The reddest states on that map at the top—Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, Maine"

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-07-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #153
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
BTW, why are New Mexico and Maine considered red states in that article's study? I've always thought they were center-of-left states.

"The reddest states on that map at the top—Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, Maine"

Maine is fucking weird. The people Mainers elect are all over the goddamn map, politically.

New Mexico hasn't been reliably Republican since Bush the Elder, though, no. Having it on a "red state" list makes no sense to me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #154
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Maine is fucking weird. The people Mainers elect are all over the goddamn map, politically.

New Mexico hasn't been reliably Republican since Bush the Elder, though, no. Having it on a "red state" list makes no sense to me.

Blah, meant to say left-to-center instead of center-to-left.

I agree; Maine's political environment and leanings are confusing at times. I guess, in a way, it's nice that they don't subscribe to the typical party lines?

New Mexico has the nation's highest percentage of Hispanics among its state overall population at with nearly half of the population of being Hispanic. Those stats don't really lean towards being voting as a red state and federal and state election results would support this.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-07-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #155
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Ever tried to teach your mother how to operate a VCR, a DVD player, or anything more complex than email and Facebook?

Or install an air conditioner for a grandmother.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-07-2016 at 08:12 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #156
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW, why are New Mexico and Maine considered red states in that article's study? I've always thought they were left-of-center states.

Quote:

Quote:
I agree; Maine's political environment and leanings are confusing at times.

The area around Portland (which is at least half the population, if not more) is pretty liberal. The rest of the state is Appalachia.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote