Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2003, 07:21 PM   #1
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

miserable failure

this is probably old by now, but google
"miserable failure" and go to the first link.

yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
BishopMVP
Coordinator

A miserable failure is used the wrong way. If I get a 22 on a test, I didn't fail miserably, I failed quite well.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Last edited by korme : 12-07-2003 at 07:37 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Thank you shorty.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

so much for an impartial search engine

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow. That's funny.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Primal
High School JV

Funny.

Its all about the page rank. Google ranks pages based of other websites that have links to those pages.

"In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. "

Meaning a lot of pages with the keywords "miserable failure" link to that page. Must be a lot of Bush fans out there.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Article About This Here

---------

Miserable Failure? Google Trick Says It's Bush
December 6, 2003

A search for the phrase "miserable failure" on the popular search engine Google brings up the biography of George W. Bush on the official White House Web site, in one of the more prominent search-engine manipulations with political overtones.

The phrase appears nowhere in the bio. But computer users rigged the search engine results by posting the phrase on Web pages and linking it to the Bush bio, in a technique called Google bombing.

"I thought it was absolutely one of the funniest ideas I've ever heard," said Don Waller, owner of Don Waller Interactive, a Web design company in Islip Terrace and a blogger who joined the prank in late October. "I just decided to jump in with it."

"This is just one of those spontaneous things that a blogger will post something and other bloggers will say, 'This is a great idea.'"

Search engines work much like an index in the back of a book, allowing people to look up words and directing them to the page in which the words appear. The search engines scour Web pages to create the index. In this case, computer users wrote links labeled "miserable failure." When users click on the link, it brings them to the official Bush bio.

When Google software creates its index, it notices the association between the phrase "miserable failure" and the Bush bio. So a search for the phrase brings up the bio.

White House spokesman Ken Lisaius had no comment. Google did not return phone calls.

Google bombings are created by people who run Web sites and Web logs, or blogs, which allow people to easily post information about particular topics. One person posts an idea for a bombing online, then it spreads like, you might say, Webfire.

The latest Google bombing appears to have spread within a matter of weeks.

It apparently doesn't take much for Google to make the association. At least 826 pages link to the Bush bio but just 32 of those pages include the phrase "miserable failure," according to a Google search.

In previous pranks, tricksters have rigged Google to bring up spoof pages. For instance, after France refused to join the coalition forces fighting Iraq, a Google search for "French military victories" brought up a spoof page that said no documents were found and asked, "Did you mean 'french military defeats.'"

Last edited by korme : 12-07-2003 at 08:14 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

LOL
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:18 PM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I confess to not understanding the whole "googlebomb" phenomenon. I know that several right wing bloggers have decided to launch a googlebomb attack of their own pointing people to Bill Clinton... which I also don't understand.

If it really makes you feel good to log onto a computer, type in the html that will link "miserable failure" with a public figure, then sit back and wait for hilarity to ensue... more power to you. After all, Jesus did say "and the geeks shall inherit the earth".

He did say that... right?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:24 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Cam:

Speaking of geeks, I'm surprised you haven't used FOFC for votes, with you being up for some kind of rodent award or something.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-07-2003 at 10:24 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:45 AM   #12
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Damn, I didn't even think about that. I'll have to start a new thread shilling for votes... or would that be hypocritical of me?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:48 AM   #13
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
For instance, after France refused to join the coalition forces fighting Iraq, a Google search for "French military victories" brought up a spoof page that said no documents were found and asked, "Did you mean 'french military defeats.'" [/font]