Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
JimJam19
n00b

Unwilling to trade fan favorite...

I tend to get this message a lot when I try to make some trades. But I think this is a bit too much. I understand its important and all, but I offered a star Safety, rated 85, and 3 first round draft picks for TJ Duckett. I had no intention of making the trade, I just wanted to see if they would put the same message up there. Fan Favorite or not, I can gurantee any team would jump on something like that. I feel this should be changed around a little bit, if the offer is too good, then the trade should be made, or at least give a different reason.

JimJam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I agree that it would be nice to see some changes in the dialogue. In the meantime I tell myself "when I offer a silly trade I should expect to get a silly response." Which is exactly what you got with your trade proposal.

Or, another way to interpret this outcome is that the league's "commissioner" reviewed the trade and refused to allow it.

Or some such.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #3
JimJam19
n00b

I see where you are coming from. I only offered so much to try and prove my point. I started off with just the S and one first rounder, which was rejected. So then i kept going further and further to see if they would actually keep turning it down.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Offer a fan fav of your own with a higher number.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 AM   #5
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I can understand your point (and share your annoyance whenever I'm looking for an offensive tackle, heh) but it's one of those things where a game's creator has to consider that "realism" versus "gameplay" argument. Same thing happens when the computer will refuse to trade for someone you signed this season. Same thing would likely happen if you offer a ridiculous salary to a free agent in season. It's annoying and unrealistic but it helps the game not become ridiculous in the player's favour.

Like BigJohn said, if you really wanted a player like that, offer your own Fan Favourite to actually have a chance to complete the trade.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
I can understand your point (and share your annoyance whenever I'm looking for an offensive tackle, heh) but it's one of those things where a game's creator has to consider that "realism" versus "gameplay" argument. Same thing happens when the computer will refuse to trade for someone you signed this season. Same thing would likely happen if you offer a ridiculous salary to a free agent in season. It's annoying and unrealistic but it helps the game not become ridiculous in the player's favour.

Like BigJohn said, if you really wanted a player like that, offer your own Fan Favourite to actually have a chance to complete the trade.

I would agree here. It's keeps you from getting star players, for the most part, although a bit unrealistic - but it does what it's supposed to do (there isn't much trading in football anyhow )

I hope ootp6 has as good of a trading system that FOF does. That's the one thing that needs some major improvement, imo. and a big factor in baseball.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-10-2003 at 07:25 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Is it that unrealistic? Aren't there players in the NFL that would basically be untradeable, regardless of how good the offer was?

Even if a team sent 10 1st rounders, would the colts be willing to trade Peyton Manning?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #8
T-Storm
n00b

Considering that in FoF2004 players like Peyton Manning regularly become free-agents, I think that's not the best argument cthomer5000.
T-Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #9
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Storm
Considering that in FoF2004 players like Peyton Manning regularly become free-agents, I think that's not the best argument cthomer5000.

Because they don’t have money to pay for his new contract doesn’t mean that they will give him away if they already got him locked up in a contract.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

This is in no way related to the idea of trading for a guy who IS under contract.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:54 AM   #11
T-Storm
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
This is in no way related to the idea of trading for a guy who IS under contract.

It's not, I just wanted to say that the realism point imo isn't really valid.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #12
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is it that unrealistic? Aren't there players in the NFL that would basically be untradeable, regardless of how good the offer was?

Even if a team sent 10 1st rounders, would the colts be willing to trade Peyton Manning?

No , but they traded Marshall Faulk for a 2nd & a 5th
Old 12-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
It's not, I just wanted to say that the realism point imo isn't really valid.

What realism point? I'm talking specifically about the trading mechanism. The topic here is "trading fan favorites."

My question was: aren't there players in the NFL that would probably be considered "untouchable," regardless of the offer? I believe there are, so the decisions made by the computer teams probably aren't that unreasonable.

You can argue the realism of letting these players enter free agency, but that would be a different topic entirely.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #14
T-Storm
n00b

Quote:
What realism point? I'm talking specifically about the trading mechanism. The topic here is "trading fan favorites."

Well, you asked whether it is unrealistic that the AI doesn't trade star-players at all. Thus I wondered whether it wasn't even more unrealistic to regularly let star-players become free-agents. Following that I thought that I'd rather like it the other way round and that it would be more realistic if it was. So my conclusion was that it isn't realistical to let star players become free agents, but decline any kind of trading offers for them (even if they were in the last year of their contract and only backup players...). While I believe to understand the reason for this beeing the way it is, I'm not that happy about it.
Having said all that, I haven't slept well, am tired since I woke up 13 hours ago and will now excuse myself back to lurkerdom.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:27 AM   #15
JimJam19
n00b

I agree with pretty much everything hat everyone has said. I hardly make trades either, and I wasnt trying to go get as many star players as possible. Just so happened that I needed a decent RB, there was a safety I could get in the draft so mine was expendable, and I felt I could give up a 1st rounder. Also, at this point in the franchise, Duckett wasn't really star, but a decent RB. Just so happened he was a Fan Favorite. Which is why it seemed unrealistic to me that they wouldn't trade him.

I dont really have any complaints about the game, I find it to be a great one. Just certain things, which can be tweaked or possibly played around with if he had the time.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Well, you asked whether it is unrealistic that the AI doesn't trade star-players at all. Thus I wondered whether it wasn't even more unrealistic to regularly let star-players become free-agents. Following that I thought that I'd rather like it the other way round and that it would be more realistic if it was. So my conclusion was that it isn't realistical to let star players become free agents, but decline any kind of trading offers for them (even if they were in the last year of their contract and only backup players...). While I believe to understand the reason for this beeing the way it is, I'm not that happy about it.
Having said all that, I haven't slept well, am tired since I woke up 13 hours ago and will now excuse myself back to lurkerdom.

I really do see your point, and I don't mean to be confrontational.

My guess is that the computer uses my "untouchable" logic when contemplating a trade, but doesn't necessarily think "will we be able to re-sign this guy?"

My guess is the computer is letting too many star-caliber players get to the last year of their deal. When in the last year, they should be furiously re-negotiationg before free agency.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JimJam19
I agree with pretty much everything hat everyone has said. I hardly make trades either, and I wasnt trying to go get as many star players as possible. Just so happened that I needed a decent RB, there was a safety I could get in the draft so mine was expendable, and I felt I could give up a 1st rounder. Also, at this point in the franchise, Duckett wasn't really star, but a decent RB. Just so happened he was a Fan Favorite. Which is why it seemed unrealistic to me that they wouldn't trade him.

I dont really have any complaints about the game, I find it to be a great one. Just certain things, which can be tweaked or possibly played around with if he had the time.

I think their are too many star players in general. I would say that in real life, maybe 15 players in the league are "idolized."

There are probably 2-3 fan favorites per team though. I can see how idolized players wouldn't be traded... but perhaps you should be able to persuade them to let go of a "fan favorite"
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think their are too many star players in general. I would say that in real life, maybe 15 players in the league are "idolized."

There are probably 2-3 fan favorites per team though. I can see how idolized players wouldn't be traded... but perhaps you should be able to persuade them to let go of a "fan favorite"
I agree with you, cthomer. I think there are too many players who are automatically Fan Favourite (like, right when you sign them). Doesn't take but a few good seasons before they become idolized.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote