Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #151
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
But even if you could, it's still ludicrous. The point of the blueline is to keep teams from just cherry-picking players in the offensive zone. If a player is so minorly off-side on a zone entry that a trained official can't catch it then it's a good enough hockey play I would say, and the line has still done its job.

Could have used a replay in 1980...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #152
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Could have used a replay in 1980...

I'll be honest I don't know what that is referencing. The Islanders won the cup that year, was there something controversial in that?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #153
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll be honest I don't know what that is referencing. The Islanders won the cup that year, was there something controversial in that?

Game 6, late 1st period goal by the Islanders to tie the game 2-2. Problem is the puck was passed backwards and out of the zone (not even close).

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #154
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That's a pretty bad miss, but even if that was Winnipeg on the bad end of that play I think I'd be willing to live with one of those every 37 years if it meant not having all these reviews.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

My stance on the offsides review has been simple: you get one look at it. Not one angle replayed over and over for minutes. Literally one viewing of one replay, and frankly, I think it should be in regular speed as well.

This is all originated because of the ridiculous fuck up on the Duchene goal from four years ago. The above replay system would have caught it and reversed it, as it would any other egregious officiating error. Granted I don't watch a ton of regular season hockey across the entire league but I haven't seen a single review where it was painfully obvious that the linesman fell asleep on the job like that guy did four years ago.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Welp, bad Rinne got himself pulled. With bad Rinne (the one from Nov and most of Feb) back, this will likely be over in four.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #157
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
The NHL needs to get rid of the offside review. The point of those lines is not to be so exact that we need Zapruder level scrutiny of whether skates are on or off the ice.

I am good with the reviews. I mean I want the call to be correct, and its not like they challenge it on a rinky dinky play. It only gets challenged when there is a goal. A goal could mean and decide a game, so I'm down for the reviews.

The challenges seem rare and they don't delay the game for 30 mins so I'm not understanding why people have issues with it. I think I've seen 4 challenges total in watching the Pens the entire post season. All should have been challenges as they were close and goals were given up on both sides.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #158
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Welp, bad Rinne got himself pulled. With bad Rinne (the one from Nov and most of Feb) back, this will likely be over in four.

I would assume that they fix some things for when they get back to Nashville. If that occurs things should be different. I doubt this is over in 4 as much as I would like to see that happen.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #159
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I am good with the reviews. I mean I want the call to be correct, and its not like they challenge it on a rinky dinky play. It only gets challenged when there is a goal. A goal could mean and decide a game, so I'm down for the reviews.

The challenges seem rare and they don't delay the game for 30 mins so I'm not understanding why people have issues with it. I think I've seen 4 challenges total in watching the Pens the entire post season. All should have been challenges as they were close and goals were given up on both sides.

They are all rinky dinky plays, because the purpose of offsides is to prevent cherry-picking, not to disallow goals because a winger on the opposite side of the play had his back skate up as he crossed the line en route to 20 seconds of in-zone cycling before a goal was scored. 99% of the time the player being offsides/not-offside by the width of a skate blade has no reasonable bearing on the play or the result of it. And no one in the arena wants to sit while officials review this crap, it is super boring and kills the flow of the game.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #161
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They've done a good job cultivating that fan base over the years for sure. Will be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has, but...reminds me of an exuberant MLS market in a lot of ways.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #162
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

For it being a 2 goal (3 in garbage time) margin for a large portion of that game, that was fun as hell to watch.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #163
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Back to back Stanley Cup Champions.. that's one hell of a feat!

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #164
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Wish the Preds had won, but it's hard not to be impressed by a team that can win the cup featuring a defense corps as nondescript as the Penguins. Loved the passion from the Preds fans, though, those games in Nashville were awesome to watch.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-12-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #165
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ditto all of the above. Sad we didn't get a game seven.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #166
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Super interesting week ahead. Some big names available for Vegas to pick from, though who knows what trades and deals are in place. Never mind the Drouin trade last week. Plus the entry draft this weekend. So good.

With respect to the Jets, getting Enstrom to waive his no movement clause was a huge win. Being able to protect Lowry, Perrault, and Armia was massive. Losing Enstrom will hurt also though, our left side is pretty weak.

And how about those Islanders protecting 5(!) d-men!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #167
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And how about those Islanders protecting 5(!) d-men!

Supposedly they're giving up a 1st to keep Vegas off some of the forwards they chose to expose.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #168
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Supposedly they're giving up a 1st to keep Vegas off some of the forwards they chose to expose.

That is a very Islander thing to do.

Also Shane Doan is being cut loose by the Coyotes. That's kinda sad, if he is planning to play next season.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #169
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The San Jose Sharks will take the ice without Patrick Marleau for the first time since 1997 come October. He's going to be 38, but I am still devastated. Patty is the Sharks. Despite the crap that was piled on him by many fans and the media, dude busts his ass and is a borderline hall of famer (I think he needs a cup to get in, stupid as that may be).
Old 07-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #170
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The San Jose Sharks will take the ice without Patrick Marleau for the first time since 1997 come October. He's going to be 38, but I am still devastated. Patty is the Sharks. Despite the crap that was piled on him by many fans and the media, dude busts his ass and is a borderline hall of famer (I think he needs a cup to get in, stupid as that may be).

If the media was rough on him in San Jose, he's going to die in Toronto
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #171
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, it seems like a weird move for both sides; the only real motivation Marleau could have to move would seem be to chase a title at this point (they just built a huge mansion here in San Jose), so why in the hell would he choose Toronto? Toronto has a bunch of youth, so I guess you would want him as a veteran leadership presence, but three years to a dude that's 38 and makes his living on speed? He's still freakishly fast for his age and very productive, but you have to think he's going to be worthless by the end of that deal.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-02-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #172
muns
Pro Starter

Hockey seems like one of the few sports where age doesn't matter a ton if you are smart. Cullen, jager, your boy, and there are more but I'm blanking at the moment. You can still play in your 40's which is kind of amazing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk