Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
dunkem
Mascot

Free Agency & All-Pros FOF2004

I apologize if others have mentioned this before, but I was wondering if the free agency AI was going to be tweaked. During my last single player career, I had 3 1st team all-pros go through all stages of free agency without a single offer. They were asking for a high price, but not even a single semi-decent offer was made by the computer teams. At the end of the free agency period all three signed 1 year contracts for the minimum.

Perhaps even a tweak at the end of the late free agency period which would make these quality players at least sign for a decent one year contract might be an improvement. While I've been enjoying the game and my single-player career so far, seeing all-pros sign for nothing just makes me hesitate to continue the career.

Another concern regards restricted free agents. When does the computer AI resign these guys? Since we can make offers on these restricted free agents at any time, it feels like I'm stealing them away from the computer teams. The computer teams don't seem to make offers on other teams' restricted free agents. Likewise, I've yet to receive contract offers for any of my restricted free agents. It almost feels like the computer treats restricted free agents as "off limits" until after free agency. If this is true, then perhaps there should be a limitation for the human player regarding bidding on other teams' restricted free agents also (at least during the first stage).

Not sure if Jim can put a little tweak in for these two free agency issues. Other than free agency, the single player is great. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I guess that's the best way to remedy a vulnerable computer AI.

dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the first point, I don't believe we know whether those All-Pros received an "offer" or not. Yes, we see what offer(s) they rejected but my impression is that we only see the ones that were close enough to be considered. In other words, although I haven't specifically looked for it, I don't think the offers a human player makes that aren't even considered show up in the transactions list. So, theoretically at least, these guys aregetting offers, just not any that they like well enough to consider.

On the 2nd part, I'm not sure how the RFA's are treated by the AI but I have a funny feeling you may be right. By the same token, I don't bid on RFA's in round one anyway, because I thought you were risking a draft choice if you signed one.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

Re: Free Agency & All-Pros FOF2004

Quote:
Originally posted by dunkem
Another concern regards restricted free agents. When does the computer AI resign these guys? Since we can make offers on these restricted free agents at any time, it feels like I'm stealing them away from the computer teams. The computer teams don't seem to make offers on other teams' restricted free agents. Likewise, I've yet to receive contract offers for any of my restricted free agents. It almost feels like the computer treats restricted free agents as "off limits" until after free agency. If this is true, then perhaps there should be a limitation for the human player regarding bidding on other teams' restricted free agents also (at least during the first stage).

The AI is treating restricted player as off limits. You will always be able to sign your restricted free agents without any competition before the end of free agency. I believe Jim has said he will consider adding in the ability to make offers to restricted free agents if there are future versions of the game, but considering it will require things like draft pick compensation etc it will be more than just a tweak in a patch for FOF2004.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
dunkem
Mascot

You may be right about the All-pros getting offers but not "shown" because they're too "low" to be considered by the agent. Perhaps in the late free agency round, Jim might consider lowering the demands of these players so that a decent contract can be offered by the computer teams. If an all-pro quarterback, tight end, and running back were all asking for too much money and nobody came close in 20 rounds, I'd hope that the agent would be smart enough to lower the demands after the amateur draft enough to get at least a top 20 average salary for his client. Like I mentioned earlier, even giving these guys franchise player type salaries for one year might make it easier to swallow.

I guess I'll have to implement a house rule against bidding on restricted free agents then. I do hope that at some point the computer does decide to sign its own restricted free agents though. If not, every three year player will switch teams. If the restricted free agency AI is not implemented sufficiently, I'd much prefer if they were all considered unrestricted and free for all the computer teams to bid on.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote