Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #1
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Thumbs down tommie harris wins the lombardi

unreal. i have never seen a worse player carry some freshman hype so far. the guy is a completely average player who, thanks to brent musburger, is now thought of as an all-world player

i know sooners rush to his defense, saying things like "he gets triple teamed every down" and "he frees up linebackers." well, one, thats not true. watch the ksu game. he gets manhandled by one guy. he had no stats. none. not anything. second, ou gets tackles because they rush 9 guys at first sight of a run. i could play tackle for them

any respect i had for these awards is now gone. texas alone has 4 or 5 guys better than him. ou does, too. most big teams do

must be nice to be a sooner right now

IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

All respect I had for Texas fans...well nevermind.

Last edited by vex : 12-11-2003 at 12:09 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
Huckleberry
College Starter

vex -

Get real. Harris is horribly overrated. He's the 3rd best DT on your team. You can not honestly watch the games and focus on Harris and tell me he's a great defensive tackle. Please don't regurgitate the patently false arguments about his production, because the guy is quite simply a non-productive football player. Dusty Dvoracek is twice the college DT that Harris is.

Do you have any coherent rationale for defending the award or are you going to stick to ad hominem attacks?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Mel Kiper from ESPN Insider

Defensive Line
Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma | early first round
You could make a case that Harris is the best defensive player in college football this year. He played through some minor injuries last season yet still demanded double- and triple-teaming. That extra attention has continued this year. He frees up linebackers and opens up sack opportunities for DEs.

This is Mel Kiper. I would say it is safe to say that this guy, along with all the GM's in the NFL that want him, have a much better idea of his talent than some bitter Texas fans that say the same thing over and over again.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Yes...but what does Mel Kiper's Hair think?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Yes...but what does Mel Kiper's Hair think?

Trust me, I will quote that as well, once he goes on the record of course.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #7
Huckleberry
College Starter

Right. Have you actually watched him play? Focused on him?

I already addressed regurgitation of patently false arguments in my previous post. I am not bitter about Tommie Harris, I hope he stays at OU another year. I feel sorry for his defensive teammates that are getting railroaded by the Harris hype. Dusty Dvoracek deserves numerous awards, but will get none.

Besides, what does "talent" have to do with postseason awards? I don't see WR Roy Williams as a finalist for the Biletnikoff or Heisman and there's a good reason for that. He shouldn't be because he didn't produce as a college football player. So are you telling me the fact that Roy Williams is a highly coveted NFL Draft prospect means he should be winning awards and should be on First Team All-American lists?

Finally, Harris does not demand constant double- and triple-teaming. That is simply bullshit. Watch the games. He got doubled maybe 3 times by KSU and was a total non-factor. I remember the Colorado/OU game last year when ABC tried to prove that Harris draws all that attention. Midway through the 4th quarter the stat showed: Double teams 6, Triple teams 0, Tackles 0.

Last year it was Lance Mitchell being completely overlooked. This year it's Dusty Dvoracek. I have no problem admitting that there are some extremely talented and productive Sooners. It's pretty obvious there have to be, because they're a great team. Tommie Harris is not one of them.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 12-11-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:57 AM   #8
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Well, I haven't watched him play once in my life. But when nearly every college football and pro football expert in the country says the guy is extremely talented and is a force, I find it hard to believe he is worse than 4 or 5 DT's on every big schools roster.

Maybe he shouldn't be winning awards, I honestly don't know, but to always hear this guy being bashed is absurd. He has to somewhat productive to get the press he has got for the last few years.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Just about all these awards now have become nothing but popularity vote.

I lost all respect for the Heisman when they gave it to Charles Woodson of Michigan a few years back, when Peyton Manniing truly deserved it.

I hate it when some off based liberals get involved in College sports and I hate to see a good kid not get something he deserved. Instead it had to go to a thug, someone who stays in trouble all the time.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 AM   #10
Huckleberry
College Starter

I didn't say every school has 4 or 5 DTs that are better. Nobody even suggested that. IMTG said Texas and OU do. I don't agree with this number, but he's definitely not in the top 2 at either school.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Re: tommie harris wins the lombardi

Quote:
Originally posted by IMetTrentGreen
texas alone has 4 or 5 guys better than him. ou does, too. most big teams do

I am sure Stoops, who is great at evaluating talent at every position is still starting Harris over the better players on the roster because he was a highly rated recruit. I am sure Stoops reads every article about how great Harris is and that clouds his judgment. I know for a fact that he doesn't base his decision on who he starts on practice, games, workouts or productivity. That would just be dumb.
[/sarcasm]
Old 12-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

He didn't get one sack on UCLA this year. UCLA who gave up 8 sacks to Stanford

Of course, Dave Ball ws the best Defensive Player this year, but that's another debate
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

Actually, Harris starts roughly 50% of the time and is now getting roughly 50% of the snaps in the games I've seen. It was funny one game hearing the opening drive Harris hype from the crew and then McGruder and Dvoracek started the game.

Again, it helps to watch them/him play.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 12-11-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

The Afoci,

Far be it from me to agree with IMTG. (shudder)

I don't think he's right on the 5 DT's better on both OU and Texas+ most big schools comment. That's absurd.

On the other hand, Harris truly dominated about 4 or 5 "series" the entire season. He had one 7 play stretch against Alabama that may have been the best performence by a DT I've seen all year. Was double teamed on 5 of the 7 plays blew up both guys everytime.

Yet, he is prone to long periods of nothing. CU single teamed him most of the night. It was one of their DE's that we couldn't control. K-State singled him up most of the night as well. He made a couple of big plays, but didn't have a consistent game.

OU rotates their DT's in and out so much that it doesn't really matter who starts and who doesn't. I've seen Harris on the sidelines at what you could call "key" moments in games this season.

I don't think he deserved the award this year. I watched both Ball and Harris in person and Ball was by far the more dominating player.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds I hate it when some off based liberals get involved in College sports
What the fuck does that mean?
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

Liberals are evil. EVIL! Don't let them near your local college athletic departments. Or your daughters...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #17
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I have said before that I have never seen Harris play, but when you see how highly this guy is rated by so many experts, I figured he must be good.

Being from Minnesota, watching Moss play and then hearing all the fans saying he is being lazy, not playing hard blah blah blah, when in fact he is still one of the most dominate recievers this season even while suffering from back spasms since about week 5. I figured that Harris was similiar in the fact that you hear so much negative about him from the people, but the experts praise him up and down.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #18
sooner333
College Starter

I think that Harris is a super-good player on a super-good defense. He isn't a flashy player, but also changes the way teams play at times. I think he'd be starting on any college team in the country. He'd also play more at OU if there weren't four stud defensive tackles. The decision to bench him isn't as much as him being bad as the talent around him is great so its better to keep the line fresh.

I haven't watched all of the defensive players in the country this year, but I'm sure there are some that have made more plays. I've seen Harris do good things as well, though. Considering that this is a lineman award, I think you could say that he's done well enough to get the award. I think he'll do all right on Sunday's as well, whenever he gets to that point.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #19
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

And you left off the finish which has even more ugly implications. Whole quote:

"I hate it when some off based liberals get involved in College sports and I hate to see a good kid not get something he deserved. Instead it had to go to a thug, someone who stays in trouble all the time."
Old 12-11-2003, 11:57 AM   #20
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I am sure by trouble, he means a guy who gets lots of offsides penalties.

Yep. Offsides penalties.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM   #21
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I am sure by trouble, he means a guy who gets lots of offsides penalties.

Yep. Offsides penalties.

LOL.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I have said before that I have never seen Harris play, but when you see how highly this guy is rated by so many experts, I figured he must be good.

Being from Minnesota, watching Moss play and then hearing all the fans saying he is being lazy, not playing hard blah blah blah, when in fact he is still one of the most dominate recievers this season even while suffering from back spasms since about week 5. I figured that Harris was similiar in the fact that you hear so much negative about him from the people, but the experts praise him up and down.

Three things:

1) When you see me and IMTG agree on anything, ANYTHING, the world is probably getting near the end and it bears checking out.

2) I've been a Moss critic and fan. The reason he takes crap isn't because of his WR numbers. It's because of his consistent effort. Blocking, route running when he isn't the main target, etc. The NY Giants championship game a couple of years ago was a disgrace.

3) The NFL scouts were all over Robertson this year. The next Warren Sapp. He was average at best. Maybe he'll imrpove with time, but he's certainly not worth what they paid now. Scouts are prone to do the same thing the rest of us are. . . put on blinders and miss some things.

I think Harris will be an OK NFL player. If he gets motivated, he might even be a great one. In college this year he was a good player who played on a great defense. He certainly helped make it great, but I believe other OU D-lineman outplayed him most of the year.

Last edited by TroyF : 12-11-2003 at 12:03 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #23
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

About Moss, as a MN fan, I could care less about him blocking or running routes when he isn't the main target. I have seen many times where he hasn't left the line and still had 2 or 3 guys on him. That by itself is worth it. Last week, after scoring two 40 yard plus TD's, Kelly Cambell, an average reciever at best was left wide open 40 yards down the field because 2 safeties, a CB and pretty much anyone who could keep up with him were on Moss.

Two years ago was just that, he has grown up a bunch and is now actually a team leader, something I never thought he could become without the team imploding.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
1) When you see me and IMTG agree on anything, ANYTHING, the world is probably getting near the end and it bears checking out.

My guy says we're ok.

This time.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #25
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Harris certainly has the build for the NFL

scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:44 PM   #26
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

If they are going to give it to a defensive tackle from anywhere around here, from what I have watched, nobody was more dominant than Brandon Kennedy from North Texas. If he was 4 inches taller he would be a top-5 pick easily.

If you want to see a complete stud at DT, tune into the Memphis-North Texas game the 16th.

When he played Oklahoma, Texas and TCU the last couple of years, he was double and sometimes triple teamed basically every play.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #27
Subby
lolzcat

We need a caption-contest for that picture.

"HornsManiac makes a silent pact that he will NEVER bet on the OU-Texas game again..."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

I was gonna go with, "What's the Notre Dame fan doing in OU attire?"*

*Note: Wisconsin can be used interchangably with Notre Dame in this caption.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-11-2003 at 12:55 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 PM   #29
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

McKerney, this is a pic of Carl Gerbschmidt in OU gear.

If you listen to KFAN at all...
Old 12-11-2003, 01:03 PM   #30
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah....off-sides penalties thats what I meant for sure.

LOL!!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #31
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, Booger Kennedy is really, really good. I'll probably watch the New Orleans Bowl with my friends, its one of their last finals day (I'm done after today and going home Sat.), so we'll probably celebrate by seeing who is crowned North Tex...no....no....New Orleans Bowl Champions.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #32
Huckleberry
College Starter

HFP is correct.

Brandon Kennedy is one bad dude.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #33
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
If you listen to KFAN at all...

I do occasionally, though I rarely listen to the radio at all.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #34
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Tommie Harris did not deserve this award.

It's a shame that two guys like Dan Cody and Dusty Dvoracek are having dominant seasons and are totally overshadowed by this hype.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #35
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds
I hate it when some off based liberals get involved in College sports and I hate to see a good kid not get something he deserved. Instead it had to go to a thug, someone who stays in trouble all the time.

What the hell are you talking about???
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #36
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

The even bigger joke is that Nate Keading didn't win the Groza award for being the best kicker in the nation. Now THATS bullshit.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:43 PM   #37
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I come here to read a thread about college football (though I honestly had never heard of Tommie Harris before this, as I'm a fairly passive college football fan outside of Tulane), then someone has to do the whole "liberal/conservative" schtick. I'm not claiming to be an authority on this, but whenever I see someone work that into any discussion, I get the impression that the person is simply trying to start a fight. Why the hell do people need to start fights? Really, why? What's the compulsion? What's the agenda?

What is the point?
Old 12-12-2003, 02:27 AM   #38
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I've seen most of oklahoma's games this year.. (stupid ass big 12 region..)

anyway, i was watching a game mid way through the season.. and my friend said "they sure are hyping up tommie harris alot for him not doing anything other then jumping offsides"

I said "kinda like a young chester mcglockton eh?"

Basically its true.. chester would show up for maybe 2 series a game.. then jump offside and try to lose games for you the rest.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote