Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Any of you in/around Colorado Springs?

One of the places on our list of potential moving places. Curious.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dude, be careful. That's where the Mad Pooper... poops.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
bob
College Starter

Don't live there, but have visited several times recently. I don't know much about what it is like living there, but I have heard it is a more conservative place than the rest of Colorado given the presence of the Air Force Academy and the headquarters of Focus on the Family (I think). Not sure if that is a pro or con for you, but just passing it along.

Lots of cool outdoors things to do and Bristol Brewing Company was pretty good.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Dude, be careful. That's where the Mad Pooper... poops.

Don't be hating on the free pooping revolution!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

I have family that live there. i almost moved there.
So Beautiful. Good schools. Great outdoor activities.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Went to school there, liked it quite a bit. Very weird mix of people though. Overall conservative with all the military there but some definite hippy pockets as well.

Pikes Peak as a view never gets old.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Haha the Springs.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Springs where I have lived for almost 30 years now. Best seasonal weather for a city, still affordable despite growing significantly and no bothersome insects. We considered many places to retire to (soon) and decided there is no better place than here.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 10-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Springs where I have lived for almost 30 years now. Best seasonal weather for a city, still affordable despite growing significantly and no bothersome insects. We considered many places to retire to (soon) and decided there is no better place than here.

Remind me to ping you for a beer if we wind up getting serious take a scouting trip out there. We've taken a liking to Cordera.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Vacationed there twice in the past 15 years. Loved it, but that's not quite the same as living it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
One of the places on our list of potential moving places. Curious.

I have lived 35 minutes North of the Springs after relocating here from Boston. C. Springs is nice especially for retires as long as you can afford to live in the nicer areas. Also it is far right politically with Focus on the Family being HQ'd here among others. If you swing conservative, Christian and like the outdoors it is may be a good fit.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-05-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been thinking about Colorado also but not Colorado Springs. I want some land and have been checking out

Colorado Land for sale, Colorado Acreage for Sale, Colorado Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

A family friend just sold their house and 50 acres near Salida for $675k

Great area by the way. I would love to retire in that area.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I have lived 35 minutes North of the Springs after relocating here from Boston. C. Springs is nice especially for retires as long as you can afford to live in the nicer areas. Also it is far right politically with Focus on the Family being HQ'd here among others. If you swing conservative, Christian and like the outdoors it is may be a good fit.

Maybe you ought to stop thinking it's still 1992 and even at that, your broad brush remark shows both ignorance and a strong prejudice, like saying Boston is far left and racist.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maybe you ought to stop thinking it's still 1992 and even at that, your broad brush remark shows both ignorance and a strong prejudice, like saying Boston is far left and racist.

Which part of Christian, conservative or "likes the outdoors" is equivalent to racist?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I've actually heard the same. Are you disputing Conservative, Christian or Outdoors?

Study ranks conservative US cities: Colorado Springs No. 4, Aurora No. 10 | CPR
Quote:
Colorado Springs is the fourth-most conservative major city in the country, a new study says, while Aurora checks in at 10th-most conservative.
Denver registers as the 20th-most liberal.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Which part of Christian, conservative or "likes the outdoors" is equivalent to racist?

That none of the broad brush characterizations about Colo Springs or Boston are true, even if some people want to perpetuate them about either cities or any place for that matter. We are no more conservative than most Western cities or counties (e.g., our county and the one north of us where Galiril presumably lives) went for Trump only about 55-56%. We do have a number hq for Christian ministries but our church-going percentage is the same low percentage as most cities. We do attract a lot of military retirees because it seems like most Army and Air Force personnel have been stationed here at least once and liked it enough to want to come here for its affordability, healthy living and outdoor opportunities, just like a lot of other people have been doing. We've doubled in size to 700,00 in only 25 years.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Edward64, I object to 'far right' as being demagoguery. Like I said, we do have a number of ministries here (Navigators, Young Life, IBS, Focus, etc,) but this not a ''Christian" city any more than US being a "Christian" nation. We have all of the same issues most mid-size Western cities have with perhaps a higher homeless population. As far as the outdoors, that's true of most Colorado cities and towns.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Bucc: Yeah, that was kind of an overly strong take.

I mean does anyone get upset if someone says if you swing liberal, atheist and like the water, San Francisco may be a good fit?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #20
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Colorado Springs does lean very conservative with all the military. Salt Lake is probably the only large west city that is equivalent. Trump's numbers are not a good indicator.

But like I said earlier, there are definite liberal/hippy pockets.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Regardless of political, religious or recreational persuasion, one can love living here or anywhere else for that matter with the only real difference (besides climate) being whether one prefers to live in an isolated area, small town, medium city or large metropolis.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #22
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Regardless of political, religious or recreational persuasion, one can love living here or anywhere else for that matter with the only real difference (besides climate) being whether one prefers to live in an isolated area, small town, medium city or large metropolis.

Very true. I was in Colorado Springs for 4 years and loved it. In Highlands Ranch now and I love. Colorado is just awesome.

Wait, no, Colorado sucks, winters here are awful, all the people suck. Don't come here.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Edward64, I object to 'far right' as being demagoguery. Like I said, we do have a number of ministries here (Navigators, Young Life, IBS, Focus, etc,) but this not a ''Christian" city any more than US being a "Christian" nation. We have all of the same issues most mid-size Western cities have with perhaps a higher homeless population. As far as the outdoors, that's true of most Colorado cities and towns.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #24
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I just moved from there last week. I got transferred, and I am bummed about leaving. I fell in love with the city.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
That none of the broad brush characterizations about Colo Springs or Boston are true, even if some people want to perpetuate them about either cities or any place for that matter. We are no more conservative than most Western cities or counties (e.g., our county and the one north of us where Galiril presumably lives) went for Trump only about 55-56%. We do have a number hq for Christian ministries but our church-going percentage is the same low percentage as most cities. We do attract a lot of military retirees because it seems like most Army and Air Force personnel have been stationed here at least once and liked it enough to want to come here for its affordability, healthy living and outdoor opportunities, just like a lot of other people have been doing. We've doubled in size to 700,00 in only 25 years.

Yes I live in Castle Rock and I stand by my depiction of the Springs. YMMV. I went to the AFA so I think I know the Springs real well even today. I will also say yes the Boston area "suburbs" is a racist place and the city itself is a borderline. I was born and raised till 18. #2 for Christian conservatives to live in.
http://www.estately.com/blog/2013/11...tives-to-live/

Last edited by Galaril : 10-08-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #26
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Fun This American Life story on COLORADO Springs during the recession. They went super conservative-if you want your steel light turn on its $125, etc.
However, given that now it is one of the nations gratest boom towns...

459: What Kind of Country
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #27
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes I live in Castle Rock and I stand by my depiction of the Springs. YMMV. I went to the AFA so I think I know the Springs real well even today. I will also say yes the Boston area "suburbs" is a racist place and the city itself is a borderline. I was born and raised till 18.
Well, I'll strongly disagree with that one as another broad brush characterization. The South Shore leans more in that direction, and the northeast in general is more segregated by town than other places I live* (though with wealth as the main dividing line, not race, although there's obviously overlap particularly when you include immigrants), but if you think places like Cambridge, Somerville, the MetroWest suburbs, or Boston proper are racist I don't know what to tell you. The Boston of 2017 bears little resemblance to the stereotypes people attached to it in the 1970's to early 90's and continue to propagate, even as the city itself has probably been majority-minority for 20 years. (Though it's hard to tell with the census bureau's inability to classify Hispanics.)

* - For example, I live in Charlotte now... I think this place is also similarly segregated by wealth, but "Charlotte" is so much bigger than "Boston" geographically you end up with vast differences from neighborhood to neighborhood, and thus the overall city demographics can hide some things. While in Massachusetts town lines were drawn so much smaller and real estate prices are so heavily tied in to school performance that the socio-economic grouping happens without some master plan at play.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-09-2017 at 10:55 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Well, I'll strongly disagree with that one as another broad brush characterization. The South Shore leans more in that direction, and the northeast in general is more segregated by town than other places I live* (though with wealth as the main dividing line, not race, although there's obviously overlap particularly when you include immigrants), but if you think places like Cambridge, Somerville, the MetroWest suburbs, or Boston proper are racist I don't know what to tell you. The Boston of 2017 bears little resemblance to the stereotypes people attached to it in the 1970's to early 90's and continue to propagate, even as the city itself has probably been majority-minority for 20 years. (Though it's hard to tell with the census bureau's inability to classify Hispanics.)

* - For example, I live in Charlotte now... I think this place is also similarly segregated by wealth, but "Charlotte" is so much bigger than "Boston" geographically you end up with vast differences from neighborhood to neighborhood, and thus the overall city demographics can hide some things. While in Massachusetts town lines were drawn so much smaller and real estate prices are so heavily tied in to school performance that the socio-economic grouping happens without some master plan at play.

Grew up in more blue collar areas such as Worcester and Springfield as well as Boston proper and the best I will give you that those areas are quite bigoted to minority but it is an odd part of the country quite insular in my opinion. Racist might have been a bit much but whatever word it is hardly a welcoming area to non whites again from my experiences generally speaking.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Grew up in more blue collar areas such as Worcester and Springfield as well as Boston proper and the best I will give you that those areas are quite bigoted to minority but it is an odd part of the country quite insular in my opinion. Racist might have been a bit much but whatever word it is hardly a welcoming area to non whites again from my experiences generally speaking.
Well see, there's the geographical distinction... even though I lived in Western Mass for 7 years, I would never consider anything outside 495 to be a Boston suburb. (There's that insularity! ) I definitely agree that it's always been the blue collar areas that have bigger issues (also because they're primarily where mixing occurs), but I think it was as much everybody hates everybody, and all outsiders. If you take the Southie types (and fwiw the 75% of South Boston near the water has gentrified at this point, pushing that crowd to places like Milton, Randolph, Weymouth) the Irish do hate 'the blacks' and 'the chinese', but they also hate the Italians and the WASP's.

The suburbs generally end up with an often ignorant and condescending but well intentioned view on race, leading to things like the METCO program, and towns where people would never dream of having racial covenants, but end up being borderline segregated by race strictly due to inherited wealth and entry barriers.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #30
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Thought this was appropriate.

http://gazette.com/editorial-colorad...rticle/1612889
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

God help us, we're signing a contract for a house there.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
God help us, we're signing a contract for a house there.

Awesome. Congrats. I am jealous.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

And when you get settled. And when Summer comes, I suggest driving 2 hours West to the Salida, Buena Vista area. It is incredible. So much to do. From white water rafting, to swimming in hot springs, to hiking the Colorado trail, to seeing a great waterfall, to trout fishing, to horse back riding, to shopping,

My favorite place to visit in Colorado.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #34
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The house won't be ready till May or June anyway.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #35
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

You're leaving me CW?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wow.

Listed our house here on Friday. Seven showings between Sat/Sun. Three offers came in today, one for 5k ABOVE asking. Unreal.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #37
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And....we're arrived in our new house, and have internet access!

Furniture? Nope.

Fridge? Nope.

Beds? Air mattresses.

But, we have internet.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats.

Let us know how you like it there.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #39
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And....we're arrived in our new house, and have internet access!

Furniture? Nope.

Fridge? Nope.

Beds? Air mattresses.

But, we have internet.

Pot?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Pot?

Tried it a few times years and years ago, never cared for it, never did much for me.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #41
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-03-2018 at 09:14 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote