Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's on your bucket list?

I just recently posted that I someday would like to sit before a well prepared steak so huge that couldn't finish it.

I'm also remembering a recent conversation with my Dad in which he pointed out that he's only two years younger than when my grandpa died of a heart-attack.

He recently bought a slick truck which is something he always wanted.

So what's on FOFC's bucket list? I find my own drastically lacking so I'm pretty much looking for ideas.

NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Playing Augusta National is about the only thing I would go to great lengths to make happen.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think I have anything.

I do want to be a craps dealer for a living though.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am one year from the age my dad was when he died. I think this year it has really hit me that I almost all my bucket list items are never going to happen. I would love to have a small truck with a fishing boat. I not likely to ever even have that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

1) International travel and see the world. I've been fortunate enough to travel internationally for work so have seen a bunch of places. When I retire I want to do more travel but at 3-6 months at a time so figure it'll be airbnb and hostels.

1b) Somewhat related to above. I've been thinking more and more teaching English in Asia when I retire. I have a retired uncle that is doing that in China and I've visited his "school" (e.g. not affiliated with any official programs). I can see the difference he is making in that small rural community.

2) Learn to scuba dive. Then catch lobsters & spear fish, pick up some clams and cook them all on the beach.

3) Do astrophotography. You know some pics where you see all the zillions of stars? Doesn't happen if you are in a big city or in suburbia.

4) Each sushi in Japan. I have always thought Japanese sushi must be much better than US sushi, and probably so at an Atlanta sushi place. But I've eaten pretty darn good sushi in California so my gut tells me I won't really notice the difference. I have eaten authentic Chinese food in Hong Kong, Beijing and rural China. TBH, the same dishes taste the same as in the US. However, those places have greater & different variety than the US.

5) Write my magnus opus novel(s). GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss quality. Yeah, this one probably won't happen, I'll have to settle for self-publishing a 2-star rated book on Amazon Prime.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-23-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

unnamed
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola= I played in the WSOP in 2008 in a smaller event. Would love to play in the Main event. Whats weird is in 5 years I will be eligible for the seniors event.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think all I've got left at this point is a game at Dodger Stadium.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think all I've got left at this point is a game at Dodger Stadium.

This reminds me... my wife is on board with seeing a game in every MLB park in one season. So, that's on my list.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Go to Spring training, any team, any stadium. Been a dream since I was a kid.

I think it will happen in 2021 depending on the state of the country.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:09 AM   #11
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I've always wanted to go to England (preferably Newcastle) and spend a week watching a Premier League game live, and one in a pub. Even my wife is on board to let me go with a buddy, as she admitted I would have way more fun with him.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I've always wanted to go to England (preferably Newcastle) and spend a week watching a Premier League game live, and one in a pub. Even my wife is on board to let me go with a buddy, as she admitted I would have way more fun with him.

Highly recommend this. I have family in England and we go over every other year. Went to a Crystal Palace game a couple years ago, so much fun. They used to live in London right by where Arsenal played and I have watched many a games in a pub, it is a crazy atmosphere.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Visit all 7 continents (so far I've hit Europe, Africa, Asia, and North America) - This is #1 by far

Publish at least one novel (so many drafts sitting in the unattended to pile)

Program and publish a computer game (my math and programming skills need more work)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Go to Spring training, any team, any stadium. Been a dream since I was a kid.

I think it will happen in 2021 depending on the state of the country.

This is totally doable. Maybe not right now. But maybe in like 2021 or 2022. I'm pretty sure Arizona is easier since there are like 15 teams all in different parts of Phoenix and the suburbs. When we went a few years ago, we hit 3 different stadiums/teams in 3 days. Find some of the teams that let you watch practice before the game, too - it's just really relaxing. Like that's Spring Training in a nutshell - if you think regular season 162 game baseball is too meaningful and too fast paced, try Spring Training!

We combined it with a trip where we hiked up and down the Grand Canyon and visited some other sites like Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. It was a really memorable trip and really fun.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This reminds me... my wife is on board with seeing a game in every MLB park in one season. So, that's on my list.

Working on this one myself- though lifetime achievement, not just one season. At 26 stadiums and have 8 to go (since I've been to 4 that don't exist anymore).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
3) Do astrophotography. You know some pics where you see all the zillions of stars? Doesn't happen if you are in a big city or in suburbia.

Same. Turns out it's a lot more work than it would seem. This video still makes me want to do it more, though.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This is totally doable. Maybe not right now. But maybe in like 2021 or 2022. I'm pretty sure Arizona is easier since there are like 15 teams all in different parts of Phoenix and the suburbs. When we went a few years ago, we hit 3 different stadiums/teams in 3 days. Find some of the teams that let you watch practice before the game, too - it's just really relaxing. Like that's Spring Training in a nutshell - if you think regular season 162 game baseball is too meaningful and too fast paced, try Spring Training!

We combined it with a trip where we hiked up and down the Grand Canyon and visited some other sites like Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. It was a really memorable trip and really fun.

SI

This sounds like a great trip. Might have to do it some day.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Visit all 7 continents (so far I've hit Europe, Africa, Asia, and North America) - This is #1 by far

I've kindof got some lifetime travel goals. I'd like to eventually do this one, too. I mean, it can be done with enough money and time. My parents did it, but I feel like they did it more legit as my mom worked on 5 different continents, visited Australia for vacation, and then they took a cruise to Antarctica a few years ago. But I feel like I need to be more well traveled before I should try it. Like I could fly through, I dunno, Egypt, and then take an Australia to Antarctica cruise and I'd have them all covered. But that would be cheesy. "Where did you go in Asia?" "I was in the Asian part of Turkey for about a week" "Oh" or that definitely wouldn't do Australia or Africa justice either.

My wife and I have wanted to go to Japan for a long time. That will probably happen after COVID, provided we're both still employed and in a position to do it. I'm also going to do a quick stop in Taiwan if we can make that work, since I watched a bunch of CPBL when they were one of the first places to really get COVID under control.

I've been to Russia, Turkey, and Italy in Europe so I feel I need to do Western Europe to do it justice: England, France, Spain, Germany, for instance. Would love a couple of weeks in Australia/New Zealand. Absolutely want to visit Egypt and would like to visit somewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa. I'm not sure about Asia: India and China... maybe? We spent a legit week and a half in Colombia so I think we have South America covered but I'm open to other suggestions.

But now we've gotten to my big dream that's a ways off, probably early retirement. I want to do a trip around the world. Do different modes of travel: maybe fly over the Pacific to Australia then up to southeast Asia. Then take the Trans-Siberian Railway across much of Asia, take a cruise through the Mediterranean, take copious stops along the way to see as much of the local areas as possible, etc. It's not really fleshed out in my head but it's not dissimilar from going Around the World in 80 days.

For a more modest goal - I'd like to do all 50 states and I only have a few to go: Washington, Utah, South Dakota, South Carolina, and Hawaii (the tough one). I always thought Bucc had an amazing goal to visit every county. Any idea if he made that one?

SI

Old 08-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This sounds like a great trip. Might have to do it some day.

If you want to do the Grand Canyon hike (like down and up), here's some tidbits:
  • I'm pretty sure I could still do it today in my 40s. I'm not sure how much longer - depends on how my body does. But I'm not like some buff athlete - I'm a tall, lanky dude with an extra 15-20 lbs on my stomach that doesn't show up too much because tall and lanky. I think it has a lot more to do with joints than strength and endurance. You have to be quasi in shape, but this isn't marathoner level of in shape. At the time, we were walking maybe 2-3ish miles most (4/7 per week?) days. The hike down and up are more but not orders of magnitude more - the problem is the elevation change. If you work in an office building, do some stairs for a month or two before - like a couple of times a week. Help build up those calves for the trip back.
  • Phantom Ranch is a must unless you're a big camping person and want to lug all your stuff down there. It's a set of cabins down at the bottom of the canyon. There are 4 person cabins and like 10-person group sleeping lodges. We were really lucky (and persistent) and got one of the 4-person cabins for 3 of us. WARNING: They sell out like 13 months (I think) in advance. If you're looking at going anytime in the next couple of years, go look at the process now and plan. We only got our because I had a 6 week long window (all of Spring Training) and I called them up almost every day asking about a cancellation for more than a month. Honestly, none of us slept that well because we were worried about the way back up. EDIT: Looks like they have a lottery system for Phantom Ranch now.
  • We got really, really lucky with the weather. We went the last week of February, which can feature snow and be treacherous enough to not try it. Instead, it was quite mild: 40s at the top and 60s at the bottom so it was absolutely perfect weather for hiking all day. I think this plays a huge role and not much you can do about it.
  • In that vein, pack appropriately. Lots of sites about what to do. Wear layers that you can take off throughout the day. Good shoes (I just wore good broken in Nike Airs - not hiking boots. The trails are well done, again, unless ice or something. Have a good backpack with comfy straps (mine was an old Jansport) - my wife's was "meh" and her shoulders were hurting by the time she got down. Bring water (heavy!) and good hiking food (jerky and we each had gallon bags of my special blend of trail mix) We got walking sticks. Don't get into a fight on eBay with a guy who shipped yours to the wrong address and then have to scramble and get them at the last minute. Hm... that seems oddly specific. But you get the idea - you don't need a bunch of hiking specific stuff. Mostly, you can use what you have that seems like it would make sense but supplement what you don't and make sure you've broken it in before you go. Don't try on new shoes on the way down - no one wants blisters at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
  • We stayed at Bright Angel the day before and after. We took South Kaibab down and the more gradual but longer (10 mi, iirc) Bright Angel up. Use the buses. Make sure you know which stops are open along the trails and plan appropriately.
There's probably more stuff I'm forgetting, but, man it's was a super rewarding to walk down and up the Grand Canyon. We did it with a friend of ours and we were talking all the way (particular towards the end "man, we should stop- that's a great rock") so we have a memory to last a lifetime. With a 5 year old, he's not going to be able to do it now but maybe in a few years.

SI

Old 08-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure about Asia: India and China... maybe?

You seem pretty well traveled, what's the not sure about Asia?

If you are a foodie ... I'm biased but asian cuisine is inherently better and superior to all others (yeah, I guess that makes me a food ADL-racist).

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
You seem pretty well traveled, what's the not sure about Asia?

If you are a foodie ... I'm biased but asian cuisine is inherently better and superior to all others (yeah, I guess that makes me a food ADL-racist).

No, I mean like I don't know which parts of Asia should I visit. Not the "should I visit Asia" but where

SI

Old 08-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No, I mean like I don't know which parts of Asia should I visit. Not the "should I visit Asia" but where

SI

Guam
Old 08-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #23
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
I'm not sure about Asia: India and China... maybe?

A lot depends on your interests, but also how you prefer to travel. India is pretty challenging without a guide/group due to transportation and communication. Japan is surprisingly more manageable. You can buy a 1-2 week JR Rail Pass (I think you need to order in the US) and easily go around parts of the country. Most signage includes English. If more off the beaten path is your thing, Uzbekistan is actually really fascinating and not bad transportation-wise (they have a modern high-speed train between the 3 key tourist cities).

Africa: Cape Town, South Africa is beautiful and great for 4-5 days. You can combine with some of the wine regions or national parks. I hear Morocco is nice and approachable (I have not been). Victoria Falls is amazing, even compared to Niagara...could combine with some Zambia safaris.

South America: You mentioned Colombia, which would've been my top suggestion. Buenos Aires is a comfortable, fairly safe, cultured and fun city. I'd love to get back there sometime. Also Ecuador has a lot to offer for a small country.

Europe: Scandinavia doesn't get nearly the love it should. Yes, it's a bit expensive but it's so beautiful, so safe, just about everyone speaks English, the food is good, and transit is easy. For off the beaten path, I really liked Albania. Also just moved to Berlin last month and really like it.

Central America: I lived in Panama City from last August to this March and it has plenty to do for 3-5 days. Most of the city is safe, the people friendly, and the currency is actually US Dollars, so don't have to currency change anything. (The coins are local mixed with US coins).

Last edited by BillyNYC : 08-24-2020 at 06:07 PM.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

It does depend on your interests.

For first timers that want to ease into Asia, Singapore is your best bet. English speaking, safe, lots of shopping and food is very similar to Malaysia and is a fusion of Chinese-Malay-Indian.

If you want history, China is the place to go IMO. Great Wall, Summer Palace (my favorite), Terracotta warriors etc. I'd say Japan next.

For partying, Thailand. For Scuba, I've read Thailand and Philippines. For a more sedate beachy, island feel go to Bali (Indonesia) or Palawan (Philippines). For old temples (Angkor Wat) and to see an impoverished country, still rebuilding from the horrors of war go to Cambodia.

For food and a fantastic variety of fruits and strange stuff to eat, Singapore-Malaysia followed by Hong Kong-Thailand IMO.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
Flasch186
Coordinator

I was having a conversation with someone last night and they expressed to me that their goal is that when they're 51 years old, they move to St. Thomas and own or work in a dive shop while at the same time working with their National Baseball team on the one diamond they have there.

I didn't answer about my goals and moved on to another topic but it resonated with me that I don't think I have any big life goals like that. I pretty much am satisfied with the rung I've made it to: wife, kids, financial, security... So I'm left here to wonder what big goal should I have set. My wife talks about a Med. cruise some day. Ok. I just don't have any other than watching the kids grow up and hoping that they reach their potential.

What are your big life goals?

(I was going to start a new thread but then saw this and thought it was very similar so I posted here)

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think at the moment there are only three major activities on it.
I mean holding grandchildren, walking daughter down aisle, etc...I think those count...but not totally within my control etc.

But the 3 I have left are
1) Complete the great loop
2) Establish a scholarship fund (this is ~20% completed)
3) Give away a house to a total stranger, with the focused intent of changing their family trajectory.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think at the moment there are only three major activities on it.
I mean holding grandchildren, walking daughter down aisle, etc...I think those count...but not totally within my control etc.

Exactly - my son is so young and I have no control over those things so I have a hard time putting those on "my" bucket list - that's unfair to him

SI

Old 08-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #28
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
3) Give away a house to a total stranger, with the focused intent of changing their family trajectory.

I'm genuinely curious on how you choose this person (and how can I become first in line!). How would you choose the deserving between the undeserving?

I want to leave money behind to my nieces and nephew but yet I don't want them to be spoiled or dependent on it at the same time.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm genuinely curious on how you choose this person (and how can I become first in line!). How would you choose the deserving between the undeserving?

I want to leave money behind to my nieces and nephew but yet I don't want them to be spoiled or dependent on it at the same time.

I dont have that answer today. That's why its just a bucket list item.
I know that i never lived in a house until I bought my first one. It was always something I was sort of proud of but never fully processed.
Then I took a Dale Carnegie course - it was like 12 weeks or so met 1 night a week - and we had to give a "prop speech"...and I was busy and forgot a prop. I really wanted to impress this group, some real high protein "movers and shakers" in the course. The prop was supposed to drive home your message.
I pulled my house key off my key ring and told my life story. Int he end I finished with "I bought a house"...I got the golden pen that night and after class when I sat in my truck I broke down and cried. I had never stopped to smell the roses and appreciate what I had "accomplished." It was the only time other than birth of children and death of my grandmother where I can say emotion overwhelmed me.
I made it a goal that night to give a house away. As kind of a F-You to the world. A token 'I grew up without a house and Ill make it so big I just give the damn things way'...anyway I back burnered that and honestly forgot it. That would have been in ~2003.

Ive always volunteered for habitat homes and have now wired 14 of them for 100% free...I went to a habitat house dinner for the Greenville chapter and heard a super shy soft spoken Freshman at Clemson give a speech, really it was more of a testimony...about his mom being gifted a habitat house and how it got him and his siblings out of the projects and changed his life.

That night I re-affirmed my personal pledge to give a house away.

Im not financially in a position to do so, yet...but I do have an account and I look for opportunities. It may be one of my renters. It may be a local community member. I may go through a local church. I dont know. There will be some interview process and I will feel like the person is in a head space to grow from it and launch. That's important to me. I dont want to give it away to make me feel good about myself. I want to do it to change someone else's family trajectory. To change kids lives.

BTW that shy freshman retold his story later in a better more polished way.

Deshaun Watson on the benefits of a safe home - YouTube

Last edited by CU Tiger : 08-25-2020 at 09:17 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

My primary life goal is to have a healthy, happy, and financially stable immediate family (e.g. including the kids). We have healthy so far, happy is relatively so, and not quite there yet with my definition of financially stable but we are on the glide path. I can see semi-early retirement 4 -5 years away after the kids are out of college and settled in somewhere.

The life goals post-retirement is to initially bum around, not do much, travel internationally but start figuring out how I can contribute back to society outside of the immediate family.

Kudos on wanting to get a house for a family and changing their trajectory. I won't be able to afford a house. I do think education is a key driver in a person's future success so been thinking in much smaller ways such as teaching English overseas (looked into TEFL certification) like my retired religion-affiliated uncle. He has also come up with creative ways to help the village he is in (e.g. growing fruit and raising pigs to sell) which I think is really cool and making a positive impact to more lives than I ever could. I am thinking internationally because honestly my $ will go a lot further there and do think the US has a lot of resources that many other countries do not.

So I figured out road to retirement, figured out immediately after retirement, but haven't figure out yet longer term after retirement.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-26-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #31
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Complete the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Not the race, because those folks are insane, but just start and tour the route to the finish.

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (GDMBR) - BIKEPACKING.com
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote