Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2021, 05:55 AM   #2551
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a lot of details in the bipartisan 10 senator infrastructure bill. No new taxes, about $1.2T (although Wapo is saying $1T). Nice middle ground number. Looking forward to what's in the bill, guessing some of the more pseudo infrastructure stuff has been dropped.

I appreciate the effort and this will give Biden a relatively out for bipartisanship.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-11-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #2552
BYU 14
Coordinator

It is disappointing that they couldn't agree on at least a small bump in corporate tax, not sure Biden is going to be too keen on that.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #2553
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Vaccines cause magnetism?

When the aliens activate the tractor beams, all of us vaccinated "magnetized" people will float into the sky and never be seen again, leaving the unvaccinated people to catch COVID and pass away uncontested, bringing the earth back to it's original form and solving global warming.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #2554
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It is disappointing that they couldn't agree on at least a small bump in corporate tax, not sure Biden is going to be too keen on that.

That's the Democrats for you.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #2555
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
When the aliens activate the tractor beams, all of us vaccinated "magnetized" people will float into the sky and never be seen again, leaving the unvaccinated people to catch COVID and pass away uncontested, bringing the earth back to it's original form and solving global warming.

The woman in the blue T-shirt is hilarious in the background
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #2556
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

If the rapture had been presented like this in Sunday school I might still go to church.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #2557
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
The woman in the blue T-shirt is hilarious in the background

And she's apparently a supporter of the proposed bill judging by the writing on her shirt.

Also, Dr. Tenpenny could not be more perfectly named if one tried. And of course she's monetizing hedr patriotic resistance to tyranee:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ehananoki...83062439407617
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-11-2021 at 12:59 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 PM   #2558
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My wife's doctor is also a bit crazy like that, maybe not quite as much. That COVID is taking a much higher toll on mental health than physical, since none of her patients have actually gotten COVID. (spoiler alert: people don't make an appointment 3 weeks out to see their family doctor if they can't breathe and have COVID). And she's going to stop wearing a mask because she's done with it. I can't believe that doctors think like that.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #2559
Thomkal
Head Coach

Netanyahu officially gone as Israel's leader. Who knows how long that will last as crazy as Israeli politics seems. I'm also concerned that the guy replacing him for 2 years decides he's going to stay longer and put the guy who is supposed to replace him in jail.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #2560
JPhillips
General Manager

There's only one endorsement that matters, Trump.

NEW NC Senate GOP primary poll (Ted Budd internal)

Pat McCrory - 45%
Ted Budd - 19%
Mark Walker - 12%

That changes to

McCrory - 27%
Bud - 46%
Walker - 8%

after being told Budd was endorsed by Trump.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #2561
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

McCrory is the former governor, so you figure a lot of that 45% was soft and based on nothing more than name recognition.

But that's still a pretty stark change.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #2562
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

With the whole G7 conference and the Russia Summit. One thing I hope Biden really goes after is ransomware and the people behind it. We really need extradition treaties or something to help bring these guys to justice. Any country knowingly sheltering them should be boycotted.

My company has had several of our customers hacked and even one of our suppliers. Our operations have not been affected but it feels like a matter of when and not if.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #2563
JPhillips
General Manager

Dems pass HR1 in the House, GOP and Manchin say no.

Manchin releases a plan that cuts some of HR1 and adds nationwide voter ID.

Stacey Abrams says, sounds good.

GOP says no because it's a Stacey Abrams plan.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #2564
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't wait for these dumbasses to blame the AOC or whoever for losing the Senate and House in a couple years.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #2565
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Dems pass HR1 in the House, GOP and Manchin say no.

Manchin releases a plan that cuts some of HR1 and adds nationwide voter ID.

Stacey Abrams says, sounds good.

GOP says no because it's a Stacey Abrams plan.

Joe Manchin is going to bring back bipartisan politics. You just have to be patient.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #2566
RainMaker
General Manager

Those "don't legislate from the bench" folks sure never bring up Alito.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #2567
molson
General Manager

Three day weekend!!!

(This didn't occur to me until we got the email late this afternoon).

Last edited by molson : 06-17-2021 at 07:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #2568
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
With the whole G7 conference and the Russia Summit. One thing I hope Biden really goes after is ransomware and the people behind it. We really need extradition treaties or something to help bring these guys to justice. Any country knowingly sheltering them should be boycotted.

My company has had several of our customers hacked and even one of our suppliers. Our operations have not been affected but it feels like a matter of when and not if.

As a CISO at a large global industrial manufacturer I would love that to happen. But am not holding my breath.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #2569
JPhillips
General Manager

I didn't realize Netanyahu is still living in the PM's residence and has refused to leave.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #2570
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #2571
Atocep
Coordinator

In Ohio they can now take away your SNAP benefits if you have more than $2,250 in checking and savings or if you drive a vehicle worth more than $4,650.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #2572
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In Ohio they can now take away your SNAP benefits if you have more than $2,250 in checking and savings or if you drive a vehicle worth more than $4,650.

The cost in people & resources necessary to constantly track that kind of minutiae can not possibly be worth the 'savings', right? Practically goes without saying that those efforts would obviously be spent on regulations & oversight for corporations and/or the super wealthy, rather than the super poor.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-18-2021 at 09:59 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #2573
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I guess I spoke too soon. The lack of supplies has caught up with us and our production is at a trickle. Biden really needs to go after these guys.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #2574
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I've been listening to Vice President Harris and other key Democrats' talking points the past few days. It appears that "migration" is the new PC term for "illegal immigration."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:41 AM   #2575
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I've been listening to Vice President Harris and other key Democrats' talking points the past few days. It appears that "migration" is the new PC term for "illegal immigration."

I like the idea of Harris focusing on the "root cause" vs just reacting to border situations. It was pretty stupid how she just didn't go to the border which gave the Trumpster's months of ammo. Just go and say you are getting a personal report from whoever is responsible for the border situation and be done with it.

With that said, not much has happened other than a trip down south. It honestly doesn't seem to be much of a priority to her. I get Biden focusing on the infrastructure, job, family bills and pandemic, but Harris should be more active here IMO.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #2576
Edward64
Head Coach

I like there was bi-partisanship in the infrastructure bill. If it passes, it sets the tone going forward of compromise. There was some obvious non-infrastructure stuff. Then Biden had snafu (or was it intentional?) with the tandem remark. Beats me how this will turn out but I (and the stock market) want that $1.2T bi-partisanship infrastructure bill.

Quote:
Joe Biden said the quiet part out loud and paid a price for it.

Reveling in his bipartisan win on infrastructure Thursday, the president declared that he would not sign the deal he’d just endorsed unless a separate bill including his other domestic priorities arrived on his desk, too. Whether deliberate or not, the comment set off a cascade of events in and out of the Oval Office that had aides putting out fires the next day and raised questions about the future of their prized $1 trillion bipartisan deal.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #2577
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It was pretty stupid how she just didn't go to the border which gave the Trumpster's months of ammo

Because nothing this administration does will be good enough. If they jump through 1 hoop they're going to have 3 more in front of them and they'll claim they didn't actually jump through the first hoop well enough.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #2578
cuervo72
Head Coach

And if something either dies down or doesn't take hold, invent another "crisis."
Old 06-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #2579
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
And if something either dies down or doesn't take hold, invent another "crisis."
"TAXPAYERS PAY BILLIONS FOR HARRIS' JUNKET TO THE BORDER."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #2580
RainMaker
General Manager

Of course, the compromise ditches the tax increases for the wealthy and the loopholes for corporations. God forbid they pay taxes.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #2581
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"TAXPAYERS PAY BILLIONS FOR HARRIS' JUNKET TO THE BORDER."

It seems kind of dumb to appease a group of people who are bring up an issue in bad faith who would never vote for you. Another example of Democrats thinking whatever is happening on Fox News matters to voters.

The last two election saw the GOP make the border their central issue and they got roasted each time.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #2582
JPhillips
General Manager

Today is day 17 of Netenyahu's continuing occupation of the PM residence.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #2583
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Today is day 17 of Netenyahu's continuing occupation of the PM residence.

I'm really glad this happened after our election, or Trump might have got ideas...I've not been following this story too much-why haven't they dealt with him yet?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #2584
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm really glad this happened after our election, or Trump might have got ideas...I've not been following this story too much-why haven't they dealt with him yet?

They don't have a defined protocol for turning the building over. Good thing we wrote crap down in the Constitution like when to GTFO.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #2585
JPhillips
General Manager

So a billionaire from TN is funding SD National Guard deployment to the TX border.

I think they call these people warlords.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #2586
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
So a billionaire from TN is funding SD National Guard deployment to the TX border.

What the hell? You have a link?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #2587
PilotMan
Head Coach

Every time I explain that Mexico is the end result when states have all the 'rights' and 'authority' and when money is allowed to have influence over governmental figures and people just stare at me like they don't get it.

Government doesn't have amazing success of efficiency when it's bottom up. Why should states have all the say? I really feel like counties are getting the shaft! COUNTIES ARE AUTHORITARIAN AND OUT OF TOUCH!! Cities should be the basis for governance! Down with cities! It's the HOA's that have the real power!!!

It just fucking never ends.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #2588
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What the hell? You have a link?

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...749a92608d2287
Old 06-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #2589
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

This is Noem effectively announcing she's running for President in 2024 if Trump isn't.

EDIT: I'm also very curious on the legality of this. I don't see how this could possibly be legal, but I'm not sure this is something that was ever even considered.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-29-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #2590
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can't imagine it's legal either

Like Steam?

Old 06-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #2591
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Every time I explain that Mexico is the end result when states have all the 'rights' and 'authority' and when money is allowed to have influence over governmental figures and people just stare at me like they don't get it.

I would call this one part one-sided and one part naive. The naive part is that money will *always* have influence over governmental figures in a free society. It's part of what goes with that freedom. Either people have a voice or they don't, and money is part and parcel of that voice.

On the other part, I think Mexico being the end result of states right etc. is quite an exaggeration. I'm with you that states shouldn't have all the say etc., but there's virtually nobody who actually thinks they should *all* of it. That's a strawman. By the same token, I think almost everyone here would agree they should have *some*. I don't hear many calls for abolishing all governorships and state legislatures.

The track record of top-down government isn't so hot either, to put it mildly. I think it all comes back to the idea that in every condition government is a necessary evil. Both extremes are flawed, and it's very difficult to strike an appropriate balance.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #2592
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

I'd like to rent the National Guard to harass my asshole neighbor. What's the going rate for that?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:50 PM   #2593
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I would call this one part one-sided and one part naive. The naive part is that money will *always* have influence over governmental figures in a free society. It's part of what goes with that freedom. Either people have a voice or they don't, and money is part and parcel of that voice.

On the other part, I think Mexico being the end result of states right etc. is quite an exaggeration. I'm with you that states shouldn't have all the say etc., but there's virtually nobody who actually thinks they should *all* of it. That's a strawman. By the same token, I think almost everyone here would agree they should have *some*. I don't hear many calls for abolishing all governorships and state legislatures.

The track record of top-down government isn't so hot either, to put it mildly. I think it all comes back to the idea that in every condition government is a necessary evil. Both extremes are flawed, and it's very difficult to strike an appropriate balance.

It's a conversation over what happens without a strong central government, not a non existent one. The balance isn't all or nothing, it's enough that it tips to the state. That's all it takes. Gtfo with "top down governments are bad" shit too. It's the only way large governments have success. If the central government doesn't carry authority over the states, then there is no real value in a central government. States just do whateverthefuck they want every state is different and yes, individual cartels, and warlords end up controlling certain areas with the blessing of the state and yes, that would happen here. And again, yes, there are still plenty of groups that don't want the central government to be able to contravene a state.

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #2594
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I'd like to rent the National Guard to harass my asshole neighbor. What's the going rate for that?

95% off if you happen to live next to Rand Paul.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #2595
bob
College Starter

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes.

So starting in July, they will be putting out payments of the child tax credit on a monthly basis. Basically, calculated on 2019 or 2021 numbers, they will determine your credit, pay half of it from July - Dec in monthly payments, then the other half at tax time.

Will this continue in 2022, meaning you will get 1/12th of the expected credit each month and then none at tax time or will things go back to normal? I can't find that answer anywhere.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #2596
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm pretty sure it just goes through the end of 2021, but the 2021 credit has risen from 2k to 3k.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #2597
bob
College Starter

Gotcha thanks
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #2598
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The balance isn't all or nothing, it's enough that it tips to the state. That's all it takes. Gtfo with "top down governments are bad" shit too. It's the only way large governments have success.

I most certainly will not gtfo out with that, inasmuch as too much centralized power has caused great damage throughout history. Certainly the 20th century has *massive* evidence of that. They do need a certain amount of power to succeed in their mandate, but just as the complete extreme on the state side would be worse than Mexico, the extreme on the other side is pretty much Stalin. Power corrupts, and all that. I don't know what you mean by 'enough that that it tips to the state'. There are different levels of division of authority on different issues. States having power in certain arenas doesn't mean they are inherently stronger than the fed ...

Quote:
If the central government doesn't carry authority over the states, then there is no real value in a central government. States just do whateverthefuck they want every state is different and yes, individual cartels, and warlords end up controlling certain areas with the blessing of the state and yes, that would happen here. And again, yes, there are still plenty of groups that don't want the central government to be able to contravene a state.

Agreed for the most part, but on the last sentence as i mentioned, there simply is not a significant movement that *never* wants the fed to be able to override states. There is no significant support behind abolishing the US Army, or federal enforcement agencies en masse (i.e. people who want ICE gone generally don't also want the ATF, FBI, etc. gone as well), or giving all the land in national parks back to the state, etc. The question as ever is where you draw the line. What I'm reading is you basically painting anyone who wants significantly more state power than we currently have to be effectively the same as an absolutist, which just isn't the nature of where people are at on this.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-30-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #2599
PilotMan
Head Coach

Arguing against my point by saying that the other side can be just a isn't a valid argument.

Also, you should really spend more time in the south. It will certainly change your perspective on the 'nature of where people are at on this.'

Like Steam?

Old 07-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #2600
JPhillips
General Manager

Pretty crazy that the GOP justices on SCOTUS have now all but invalidated the entire Voting Rights Act.