Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #1401
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, poor Bucky. lmao
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #1402
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Should have gone for 2 given the situation. They were lucky to score the first time.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #1403
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

tarcone, you up?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #1404
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sealing it with 'Jump Around'. Suck it, Madison
Old 11-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #1405
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This 2-point conversion contest is a lot dumber than the "get a TD /and/ have to go for 2" thing from before

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #1406
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It might be the stupidest rule in major sports. And that's saying something.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:40 PM   #1407
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was mostly ok with the "drive 25 yard and go for 1 or 2 and then have to go for 2". This is just lunacy

SI

Old 11-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #1408
Edward64
Head Coach

Tough loss for Auburn. A great game and they took AL to their limit.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #1409
Edward64
Head Coach

And now to the real game that is important to the Hogs.

LSU up 10-0.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #1410
miami_fan
Coordinator

When I left the gym, Bama had the ball at the two. I turned on the TV to see the 3rd overtime. WTH happened?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:55 PM   #1411
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Agreed on that overtime rule. I watched the Penn State/Illinois saga a few weeks back. It doesn't feel like football. Might as well have the quarterbacks take turns trying to break plates lined up on the crossbar.

I think the NFL has done a good job coming up with a fair overtime rule. Not sure why they can't use that, even if they want to remove the clock and avoid ties.

Surprised that Minnesota came up big. Effective enough with the pass, when that had been such a weakness most of the year. So it's Michigan/Iowa, hopefully not the version that looked unbeatable early. Their run defense is solid, and Michigan hasn't been as good when forced to pass.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #1412
Edward64
Head Coach

Feel a little disappointed. Death Valley noise is no where near or constant as the AU-AL game. You would think they would be more hyped as this win means a bowl game for LSU.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #1413
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I imagine LSU considers just getting to a bowl to be a disappointment and not worth getting excited about.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #1414
Ksyrup

Kinda like the winner of FSU/UF.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #1415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It might be the stupidest rule in major sports. And that's saying something.

And this might be a point on which virtually everyone can agree.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #1416
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think the best/simplest football overtime:

Sudden death. The first team to posses the ball cannot kick a field goal. That's it.

Play with a clock if you are OK with a tie. Play with no clock if you need a winner.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #1417
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This 2-point conversion contest is a lot dumber than the "get a TD /and/ have to go for 2" thing from before

SI

It's dumb as ****. I find it hard not to view games past the 2nd OT as being ties. At least college hockey views a win in 3x3 OT as worth 55% of a win.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #1418
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Cowboy up
Old 11-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #1419
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was totally rooting for Oklahoma State, but damn did Oklahoma get screwed by the refs on that last drive. Clear cut PI in the end zone.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #1420
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I was totally rooting for Oklahoma State, but damn did Oklahoma get screwed by the refs on that last drive. Clear cut PI in the end zone.

True, but I absolutely hate that call on underthrown balls. QBs shouldn't be rewarded that much for poorly thrown balls. It's especially egregious in the NFL where offenses get 40 yard PI calls on underthrown balls.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:01 PM   #1421
bronconick
College Starter

If Georgia can win Saturday, we can have a CFP without Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #1422
Ksyrup

Not just the PI, but the hit out of bounds on the long run. He was well OOB when he got shoved.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:35 PM   #1423
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
True, but I absolutely hate that call on underthrown balls. QBs shouldn't be rewarded that much for poorly thrown balls. It's especially egregious in the NFL where offenses get 40 yard PI calls on underthrown balls.

I actually hate when they don't throw a flag because the pass wasn't catchable. A penalty is a penalty. I mean, should they not call holding if it didn't impact the play? I guess that would balance it, but brings more judgment in, which I don't think is a good idea.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:47 PM   #1424
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I actually hate when they don't throw a flag because the pass wasn't catchable. A penalty is a penalty. I mean, should they not call holding if it didn't impact the play? I guess that would balance it, but brings more judgment in, which I don't think is a good idea.

I see the underthrown ball as similar to the unnatural shooting motions Hardin and others used to get to the free throw line. Rewarding teams for poor play in ways that can swing the game doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of the rules.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #1425
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's different. An underthrown ball is usually not underthrown intentionally, and both receivers and DBs need to react to what's going on. The NBA stuff is a player not even trying to make a 'basketball play', the sole purpose is to draw a foul.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:00 AM   #1426
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, as long as the ball is reasonably catchable should the receiver make an effort to come back for it, it's not the same thing.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #1427
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks LSU.

Projections are Outback bowl between Hogs and WI. Citrus is also tossed out there but I'll take any Jan 1 bowls.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #1428
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
If Georgia can win Saturday, we can have a CFP without Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma.
That is something. Strange season.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #1429
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, this is where we're at, right?

These are the top 4 teams:
Georgia is in, win or lose
If Michigan beats Iowa, they're in
If Cincinnati beats Houston, they're in
If Alabama beats Georgia, they're in

Below that, for each non-Georgia team that loses next week, one of these teams gets in:
If Oklahoma State beats Baylor, they're in
Notre Dame
Alabama, with a loss to Georgia
Ohio State?

I think that's all the teams that can possibly make the playoffs, right? Even with max chaos: Georgia wins (because they've got a spot either way so just give it to them). Iowa, Houston, and Baylor all win. That would put Georgia, Notre Dame, 2-loss Alabama, and 2-loss Ohio State in, right?

There's no slipping past those teams. Baylor could potentially claim a spot as Big XII title winner but they'll get beauty pageanted out by Alabama and Ohio State.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-28-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #1430
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, other than I think it's more complicated than 'lose, and you fall this far'. I still think a close loss to Georgia wouldn't automatically mean Alabama falls below Notre Dame, for example.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #1431
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. I cant believe Minny beat Wiscy. That was awesome.

Still cannot get over Iowa wearing B1G West division champions t-shirts Friday. Seems like they knew something.

We match up better with Michigan and have tight games.

Talked to my nephew, he is going to see if he can get us tickets. I really want to go to Indy. We shall see.

Go Hawks!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #1432
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I wonder how far Alabama would fall with a loss, though the noteworthy escape from Auburn yesterday doesn't help. One signal will be whether Michigan moves all the way up to #2. I think Alabama stays there, also to help keep them in if they give Georgia a good run, but still lose. In the case of both making it, the committee will want them 1/2 or 1/3, to avoid a "this time it counts" marketing of a semifinal rematch.

I'm not sure about Notre Dame staying ahead of Baylor, though I think it's likely. When one team has a significant win and is one spot behind another, it's hard to keep it there. If Oklahoma State moves ahead of Notre Dame today, that could be a signal that the Big Twelve winner is in that spot. Or if Baylor doesn't move one behind Notre Dame, could be a sign that Oklahoma State would go ahead, but Baylor wouldn't.

I wouldn't completely rule out Oregon with a lot of help. They can avenge the one non-overtime loss they had, which was a bad one that dropped them eight spots. They're probably sitting in 10th after today's rankings.

It's too bad we have almost no inter-conference play to work with here. It's easy to separate Georgia from the pack based on results, especially with that win over Clemson. Maybe Alabama as well. Since it seems we're inevitably headed toward a super-mega-alliance of the power five (or four), maybe it's time to move to a closed schedule.

Right now, everything's laser-focused on the number of losses, and that's definitely hurting the quality of non-conference games. It will be an uncomfortable transition that's just starting out because of NIL, but eventually, there should be a professional league here with an associated union. We've been pretending that these kids aren't asked to do a professional's job, with coaches now passing the $10 million/year mark, for far too long.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #1433
GrantDawg

I agree with Jim that it Alabama might still stay in with a close loss to Georgia sort of regardless what other teams do. The committee has a pretty strong Alabama bias. Heck, you would think that Alabama beat a juggernaut how sports reporters are covering the Iron Bowl, not barely squeaking by a very mediocre team playing their back-up quarterback that only had one good leg.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #1434
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
Still cannot get over Iowa wearing B1G West division champions t-shirts Friday. Seems like they knew something.

Or it was like that time (2002?) that Miami wore national championship gear before going out and losing
Old 11-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #1435
RainMaker
General Manager

I agree that Alabama may get in with a close loss.

Not real sure what they see in them but the name. Only one good win this year. Loss to A&M looks worse now. And some real close calls to some mediocre teams. Deserving if they win but a 2-loss team with only one good win this year seems a stretch.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #1436
Swaggs
Coordinator

Didn't Iowa earn a share of the Big Ten West with their win, regardless of whether or not Wisconsin won? I don't think it was so much of a case of clairvoyance over them achieving what I'm sure is a team goal and it probably looks good for recruiting. I doubt a school like Iowa is actually going to hang a banner for winning their 7-team division, but it is a nice achievement for the school to recognize, whether shared or not.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #1437
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. That's the rational answer. Even if the tiebreaker goes against you, it's still a shared title.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #1438
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Didn't Iowa earn a share of the Big Ten West with their win, regardless of whether or not Wisconsin won? I don't think it was so much of a case of clairvoyance over them achieving what I'm sure is a team goal and it probably looks good for recruiting. I doubt a school like Iowa is actually going to hang a banner for winning their 7-team division, but it is a nice achievement for the school to recognize, whether shared or not.

I know the B1G handed them a trophy, so it seems the B1G recognized them as champions, even though they lost to Wiscy. But I like conspiracy theories sometimes.

Regardless, thank you goofers, you made my week.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #1439
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
especially with that win over Clemson.

You did NOT seriously just credit that as significant.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #1440
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite stat about Iowa is that they are 10-2 while averaging allowing 16.7 yards more per game than they gain (yes I know a couple of outlier games have skewed that). I think the game comes down to whether they can bait McNamara into multiple bad throws that turn into Iowa points. A strip-sack or two from Hutchinson & Ojabo wouldn't hurt. Both teams usually have the edge on special teams, I think that'll come out roughly as a wash. I can see multiple long-range FG attempts being necessary in both directions. Very losable game but one Michigan should win if they don't come out flat.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #1441
GrantDawg

Billy Napier officially Gator coach.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #1442
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Moving to 14 teams definitely created a situation where the number of quality conference games on the schedule could be a lot lower. But the week-in, week-out hammering in the SEC means that every game had a measure of quality.

This partially offsets the eight-game conference schedule, which means seven less total losses for the SEC than the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac 12. Mississippi is a top-ten team with two losses that did some damage in-conference aside from a weak effort against Alabama, but played Louisville (6-6), Tulane (2-10), Liberty (7-5) and Austin Peay (6-5, FCS) out of conference.

I don't like conference championship games (I might like them better next week, but that would be temporary regardless). They've enabled these 14-team monstrosities - and now the SEC is essentially breaking apart with the 16-team format, which will likely mean four-team pods just to ensure that Alabama, for example, plays Georgia at least one each generation (a slight exaggeration) as long as they go to nine conference games.

When the WAC tried 16, they went to pods, and that collapsed under similar complaints. The eight strongest schools went on to form the Mountain West.

The Bowl model only worked pre-internet. Now, everything's national. With basketball, you can have conference tournaments and March Madness and it feels enhanced. But the nature of football can't support a 64-team (or 68) tournament and expanding conferences means rivalry games don't get played every year and new rivalries rarely develop.

I'd like to see a new college football structure develop, though it's hard to preserve that added rivalry/conference meaning and ensure that each good team has a somewhat equal chance of participating in a playoff.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #1443
GrantDawg

LSU is still the big question mark. If Lincoln Riley is out (which that waa crazy to begin with), you have to think that Kiffin is the most likely choice. Woukd they take a chance at a top coordinator? If not Kiffin, they don't seem to have many options for experienced head coaches.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-28-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #1444
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Billy Napier officially Gator coach.

Minor fun fact: I saw Napier play in the 2001 I-AA title game (Furman vs Montana) while wondering whether me and/or then-not-quite-three-year-old Will might actually freeze to death on an incredibly unpleasant weather day in Chattanooga.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #1445
Swaggs
Coordinator

At the end of the day, I know the almighty dollar trumps everything else, but the 16-team SEC feels like the beginning prompt of an ESPN 30 for 30. I think it is possible that college football ends up looking dramatically different from what we all grew up with in the next 10-15 years, but it is hard for me to see post-Saban Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas all staying happy with pods and only 2 or 3 of each of them making the playoffs every year (or even 4-5). I would imagine that Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee also consider themselves in that class, as well.

Texas, in particular, already has all the advantages in the world and cannot seem to stay out of their own way. How are they going to deal with 3 or 4 years of being 3rd or 4th in a pod of 4 with Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas (I assume?).
Old 11-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #1446
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/s...n/boxscore/550

I think the people of Chattanooga still talk about it to this day... "what if there was a wind that evening?"
Old 11-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #1447
GrantDawg

Lincoln Riley just informed his staff he is going to USC. Twist!

Old 11-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #1448
GrantDawg

I mean, the guy just did the whole "I'm committed to Oklahoma bit last night then "zoinks."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-28-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #1449
spleen1015
Coordinator

Live in SoCal or OK?

I don't think it is about the ability to win football games.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #1450
Swaggs
Coordinator

Riley leaving sort of plays into what I'm talking about with the 16-team SEC. Would anyone rather coach Oklahoma in the 16-team SEC versus USC in the Pac 12? In 2 or 3 years, he will have USC in position to be in the playoffs if they can beat Oregon. In the SEC, Oklahoma will have as many good teams in its four team pod as it will in the entire conference.