Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #10951
QuikSand
lolzcat

…and if the H5N1 avian flu does, somehow, transmit to humans more easily… then the covid body count could, indirectly, explode. Because if our political division around covid causes half of Americans to skip getting a vaccine, taking precautions, and following treatment guidance… we could have an enormous wave of otherwise avoidable casualties. (Losing over a million Americans has already been awful… but that’s with a disease that has a <1% fatality rate).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:06 AM   #10952
Edward64
Head Coach

I dunno.

50% fatality rate (if holds true from the small sample size) will get people on board. There'll still be some crazies but a vaccine won't get here fast enough for 95% of the population.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:06 PM   #10953
Edward64
Head Coach

This sounds like a no brainer to me.

Quote:
Advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration voted 16-1 on Thursday in support of full approval of Paxlovid, stating that the benefits outweigh any risks of the drug for treatment of mild to moderate Covid-19 in adults who are at high risk for severe disease, including hospitalization and death.
You'd think they have plenty of data by now.

Quote:
Over 8 million people in the US have received Paxlovid, a combination of the drugs nirmatrelvir and ritonavir, since it became available under emergency use authorization in December 2021.

“I’d say besides oxygen, Paxlovid has probably been the single most important tool in this epidemic, and it continues to be,”
Old 03-20-2023, 05:52 PM   #10954
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I dunno.

50% fatality rate (if holds true from the small sample size) will get people on board. There'll still be some crazies but a vaccine won't get here fast enough for 95% of the population.

Good proactive move.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...es-2023-03-20/
Quote:
Executives at three vaccine manufacturers – GSK Plc (GSK.L) Moderna Inc (MRNA.O) and CSL Seqirus, owned by CSL Ltd (CSL.AX) - told Reuters they are already developing or about to test sample human vaccines that better match the circulating subtype, as a precautionary measure against a future pandemic.
And the same old dilemma as with the Covid vaccines

Quote:
Less reassuring, however, is that most of the potential human doses are earmarked for wealthy countries in long-standing preparedness contracts, global health experts and the companies said.

Many countries' pandemic plans say flu shots should go first to the most vulnerable while supply is limited. But during COVID-19, many vaccine-rich countries inoculated large proportions of their populations before considering sharing doses.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-20-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:33 AM   #10955
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice move Joe. It's evident there is significant disagreement on how it started so don't expect any smoking gun info. But the FBI seems to have a higher confidence and it'll be interesting to read their rationale.

Biden will release Covid-19 origin intelligence - POLITICO
Quote:
President Joe Biden signed into law Monday a bill to declassify intelligence on the origins of Covid-19, offering the public a chance to review information that government agencies say is inconclusive.

The legislation, called the Covid-19 Origin Act of 2023, which passed the Senate and House with unanimous support earlier this month, orders the Director of National Intelligence to declassify within 90 days of enactment all information relating to potential links between China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology and Covid-19.
Quote:
Some scientists and government agencies have theorized that researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology inadvertently spread Covid-19 to people in the city where the virus first emerged, while others have insisted that an animal more likely transmitted it to people.

The U.S. intelligence community is split about the origin of the pandemic.

The Department of Energy and the FBI have recently said they lean toward the lab leak hypothesis. DOE said it had low confidence in its assessment, while the FBI said its confidence level was moderate. Other agencies support the natural origin theory.
I was wondering if the CIA had an assessment (not mentioned in article link). You'd think the CIA with spies /assets in China would have a better idea. In a different article ...

Quote:
Four agencies and a national intelligence panel said they believe the pandemic likely started with natural transmission from animal to human.

The remaining two agencies, which include the CIA, are still undecided.

... now if they would really release all the info about Aliens and how they are spying and/or living amongst us.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-21-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #10956
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news if it pans out. Should make the annual bivalent dose (same time with flu shots?) a lot easier.

A new approach to a Covid-19 nasal vaccine shows early promise | CNN
Quote:
Scientists in Germany say they’ve been able to make a nasal vaccine that can shut down a Covid-19 infection in the nose and throat, where the virus gets its first foothold in the body.

In experiments in hamsters, two doses of the vaccine – which is made with a live but weakened form of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 – blocked the virus from copying itself in the animals’ upper airways, achieving “sterilizing immunity” and preventing illness, a long-sought goal of the pandemic.

Although this vaccine has several more hurdles to clear before it gets to a doctor’s office or drug store, other nasal vaccines are in use or are nearing the finish line in clinical trials.

China and India both rolled out vaccines given through the nasal tissues last fall, though it’s not clear how well they may be working. Studies on the effectiveness of these vaccines have yet to be published, leaving much of the world to wonder whether this approach to protection really works in people.
Made me look to check # cases, deaths. There's an uptick in deaths but overall decreasing trend for infections & hospitalizations, and for deaths overall.

CDC COVID Data Tracker

And a WHO dashboard for global Covid. A little weird for the massive infection/cases spike in this past Dec/Jan.

https://covid19.who.int/

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-06-2023 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:19 AM   #10957
Edward64
Head Coach

Guess it's official.

I do want an congressional investigation/hearing, not to primarily focus on the origins but more lessons learn. There'll be some inevitable finger pointing and blame placed, but lessons learn is pretty important.

Biden signs bill ending Covid-19 national emergency | CNN Politics.
Quote:
President Joe Biden signed legislation Monday to end the national emergency for Covid-19, the White House said, in a move that will not affect the end of the separate public health emergency scheduled for May 11.

For closure on this chapter of the book

> 12 is at 77.4% (Primary series, 2 shots)
> 12 is at 90.4% (Primary series, at least 1 dose)
> 12 is at 19% (Bivalent)

77.4% is a pretty good number. But it took forever (2 years) and prob less impactful than it seems.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #10958
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's a bit of a disappointing number, though I guess, in the political climate maybe better than can be expected. It was perhaps less impactful from a containment standpoint but it probably took a large chunk off of the hospitalization and death numbers

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #10959
Edward64
Head Coach

Both my in-laws have been dealing with medical issues in the past year. I got a $76 Spirit airline flight from Atlanta to Dallas for FIL birthday (can't beat the price but catch is only allowed a reasonable sized carryon backpack).

Wife drove me to the airport but said she wasn't feeling great. At Sat 6am, took me 22 min to get through security. A lot of people in line but it moved briskly.

Got to the gate and wife calls me. She took the Covid test and came back positive. So we cancelled my plans as the in-laws are in a fragile state.

She had been dealing with runny nose and throat clearing. We thought allergies as we've been doing yard work, but she was worried enough to take the test.

I called Spirit and told them I was at the gate but cancelling my flight. They said get a doctors statement and I can get my $76 refund. I'm thinking fair chance we'll never go to the doctor. She's gotten all the vaccination shots available so we'll monitor her. I'll really get worried if there is respiratory issues vs sniffling and throat clearing.

I get Spirit needing a doctors note otherwise there would be abuse. For a split second, I was tempted to be a smart ass and say "nevermind, I'll get on the plane then" and see what she would say. But I just told her I wanted her to let gate agents know I cancelled so they won't be looking for me and possibly inconvenience the flight.

So after 2+ years, me travelling internationally in the past year, her working as a teacher in 2021 and 2022, and neither of us testing positive ... wife now has Covid.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-15-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:38 PM   #10960
Thomkal
Head Coach

oof Edward, how horrible to get it after all this time. Hope you are all okay, and get your money back somehow from Spirit
Old 04-15-2023, 02:57 PM   #10961
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
oof Edward, how horrible to get it after all this time. Hope you are all okay, and get your money back somehow from Spirit

Thanks. I'm feeling fine ... for now at least.

The dilemma I have is we are on the backend of our groceries (milk, bread, cokes etc.). Question is should I drop by Kroger late at night, wearing a mask, do self checkout, and stock up. Funny how these questions come up when you test positive.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #10962
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wait - did you test positive, or just your wife?

If you don't have symptoms or haven't tested positive, you're not restricted other than you should wear a mask for 10 days from exposure. It's your wife who is supposed to isolate for 5 days from first symptoms. After that, it doesn't even matter if she's still testing positive, she just has to wear a mask for another 5 days but can go out in public.

So to answer your question, you can do whatever, just wear a mask.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #10963
Edward64
Head Coach

Just my wife. I don't have symptoms but I haven't taken the test (just happened this morning) but will later today.

Didn't know about the current protocols. Okay, so I take the test and it's negative, I can still go to Kroger but with mask on.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:16 PM   #10964
Ksyrup

You don't really need to test before you go to the store, if you don't have any symptoms. Just mask up. You're supposed to test day 6 (after 5 full days from first exposure). If negative, you've got another 5 days with mask. If positive, isolate.

Even if you decide to test today, you still need to test in 5 days - unless you come up positive today, then your 10 days begins and you and your wife are pretty much on the same schedule (5 days in isolation, 5 days in mask).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:17 PM   #10965
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, thanks.

Assuming no symptoms, I guess I'll go shopping tonight.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:44 PM   #10966
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think it's worth saying that you and your wife deserve a lot of credit for thinking of others here. It's one thing to learn and to talk about all of this and have opinions. It's another to behave as if the results mean you should take responsibility and walk the walk as well.

Guard is definitely down now. I went to a doctor's office yesterday that I had visited three months ago. In January, signs were up, a box of paper masks at the front desk. I saw two people reminded to wear masks. Yesterday, no boxes, no one wearing masks, except the actual doctor himself. Which had me wondering if nothing has changed except perception. I will take another look into what boosters are available and when they should be taken.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:04 AM   #10967
Edward64
Head Coach

Went to Kroger and did my thing last night. Not that busy and non eventful. Took the Covid test this morning and came back negative.

Got wife some Mucinex, she slept pretty well and is feeling somewhat better. She has nose congestion and not chest congestion. Assume this is like the flu where it peaked yesterday and is now all downhill to recovery now.

(On another note, ordered pickup from our local Indian restaurant. Their pulled chicken pepper, medium spicy is pretty darn great)

re: doctors. I go to the dentist multiple times a year, and my doctor last year only to get non-Covid vaccinations (Tetanus, Shingles, Hepatitis). Both doctors & staff were still pretty good with requiring masks and disinfectant gel everywhere. My dentist also has me gargle with something which makes sense. They have done away with temperature gun reading though. Overall, happy with the level of Covid monitoring & prevention both are doing.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:01 AM   #10968
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I think it's worth saying that you and your wife deserve a lot of credit for thinking of others here. It's one thing to learn and to talk about all of this and have opinions. It's another to behave as if the results mean you should take responsibility and walk the walk as well.

Guard is definitely down now. I went to a doctor's office yesterday that I had visited three months ago. In January, signs were up, a box of paper masks at the front desk. I saw two people reminded to wear masks. Yesterday, no boxes, no one wearing masks, except the actual doctor himself. Which had me wondering if nothing has changed except perception. I will take another look into what boosters are available and when they should be taken.
I was also at the doctor Friday, and the same. No masks are required, but all of the staff were masked. Got a shingles shot and spent all day yesterday achy with a fever. Fun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:12 AM   #10969
Ksyrup

Same for my first shingles shot (although I combined it with dTap and Covid booster). Good news is that I didn't have a single issue with the 2nd shingles shot 3 months later. Hopefully the same for you.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:34 AM   #10970
GrantDawg

That's good to hear.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #10971
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think the three medical places I go to (Dentist, kidney doctor, regular doctor) have all moved to whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to masks, and I think most of them have gone maskless too when I visit)
Old 04-17-2023, 07:18 AM   #10972
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife is feeling much better. Pretty quick ... onset on Fri, peaked on Sat, felt better on Sun, almost back to normal Mon.

It was like a flu/allergies, no excessive symptoms. All she took was Mucinex to help with decongestion. We had Indian food on Sat, she could taste and smell it so no issues then.

Had all her vaccinations. She's a runner so much more fit than me. Glad it was a mild case. She retired from teaching but is doing part-time work with special needs kids. CDC does say she can return on day 6 (Thu) assuming no more symptoms.

Coincidently, our 90lb lab was wheezing a lot yesterday. Had a couple spit ups of sticky phlegm. Didn't eat her food. Very lethargic all day. Also feeling much better today. No idea if she caught it from wife but CDC says its possible

What You Should Know about COVID-19 and Pets | Healthy Pets, Healthy People | CDC.
Quote:
The virus that causes COVID-19 can spread from people to animals during close contact. Pets worldwide, including cats and dogs, have been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:11 AM   #10973
Edward64
Head Coach

Good that they are offering this up.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-b...ccine-cdc-fda/
Quote:
Many seniors can now get another COVID-19 vaccine booster, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention greenlighted a broad swath of changes on Wednesday that were first authorized by the Food and Drug Administration the day before.
:
But older adults, ages 65 and older, can now get another bivalent shot as long as it has been at least four months after their last dose. People with compromised immune systems can get more doses as early as two months after their last bivalent shot.
Yup, sounds like the annual flu shot. It would be nice if it was a combo single shot.

Quote:
The FDA and CDC's moves come ahead of key decisions expected next month over what variants the bivalent vaccines should be updated to target next season. That would give companies just enough time to scale up production of revisions before the fall and winter.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-20-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:27 AM   #10974
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am glad that the trend is downward. Hopefully this is the direction that sticks.

Hopkins has stopped gathering data. Nearly everyone has stopped masking in all but the most sensitive areas. I get it.

That said... we still had over 1,300 Americans die of COVID last week. I know we have decided it's over and everything, but that's still an awful lot of actual people to just collectively round to zero.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #10975
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I am glad that the trend is downward. Hopefully this is the direction that sticks.

Hopkins has stopped gathering data. Nearly everyone has stopped masking in all but the most sensitive areas. I get it.

That said... we still had over 1,300 Americans die of COVID last week. I know we have decided it's over and everything, but that's still an awful lot of actual people to just collectively round to zero.

Well, you can round it to zero when they all really died in a car accident or from the vaccine. /s
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #10976
Ksyrup

At the risk of sounding like an anti-vaxxer/MUH FREEDOM dude from 3 years ago, the US was averaging about 1K deaths a week from the flu less than 5 years ago (it varied from year to year but 50K+ deaths was not out of the ordinary and the average was around 35K a year) and no one so much as batted an eye at that.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:18 AM   #10977
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
At the risk of sounding like an anti-vaxxer/MUH FREEDOM dude from 3 years ago, the US was averaging about 1K deaths a week from the flu less than 5 years ago (it varied from year to year but 50K+ deaths was not out of the ordinary and the average was around 35K a year) and no one so much as batted an eye at that.

I think that's a reasonable question, particularly couched that way. What I'd counter with is that we're in one of the lowest lulls we've seen in the pandemic and you're comparing it to the peak of flu season so it's comparing highs with lows.

The preliminary data from flu gives a range of 19K-56K deaths this past season (yes, I know it's a laughably large range but it's what we've got so far). Meanwhile, COVID logged over 70K so it's still worse than even the top flu projection, but using the mid-point, it's "only" twice as much as opposed to close to an order of magnitude different. For comparison, we had 270K COVID deaths last year over that same time period.
2022-2023 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary In-Season Burden Estimates | CDC
CDC COVID Data Tracker

Currently, things have been mercifully quiet on the variant front so we haven't had any surges lately. And the surge this past winter was lighter than previous winters, but, again, still around double flu's usual damage. Hopefully we're in the tail end of the COVID pandemic and if it "just" becomes like the flu, then it's not ideal but so much better than we've been.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:03 AM   #10978
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Genuine question: Did we ever come up with a reasonable way to assign covid to deaths? For instance, if someone dies with late stage cancer, congestive heart failure or another deadly disease - but tests positive for covid - do they still count as a "Covid death"? IIRC, a lot of the flu deaths in the past have been people in extremely fragile condition getting the flu and it tipped the scales against them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't count, but if the "somewhat healthy person gets covid and dies" cases are pretty much over - then I can see reducing the threat level.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #10979
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't think we ever did, and I don't think we ever will because that well's been so poisoned that no one's going to agree on anything.

Which will make the next pandemic even more fun.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:37 PM   #10980
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I don't think we ever did, and I don't think we ever will because that well's been so poisoned that no one's going to agree on anything.

Which will make the next pandemic even more fun.

IIRC it's the same as anything else. It comes down to what the medical examiner determines and considering the number of medical examiners in the country I don't there's ever going to be clear consistency and, outside of the obvious political issues, I'm not sure there's reason to change anything.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #10981
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Genuine question: Did we ever come up with a reasonable way to assign covid to deaths? For instance, if someone dies with late stage cancer, congestive heart failure or another deadly disease - but tests positive for covid - do they still count as a "Covid death"? IIRC, a lot of the flu deaths in the past have been people in extremely fragile condition getting the flu and it tipped the scales against them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't count, but if the "somewhat healthy person gets covid and dies" cases are pretty much over - then I can see reducing the threat level.

Yes. Covid must be listed in the primary cause of death chain on the death certificate. This was decided within a couple of months of the pandemic starting and a retroactive correction was made to the counts at that time.

You will sometimes see people saying "there's video of [xyz] saying if someone dies in a car crash and tests positive for covid, it counts as a covid death," but that was before the CDC standardized this.

You can see the guidelines here:

COVID-19 Coding and Reporting Guidance - National Vital Statistics System
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:29 PM   #10982
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Yes. Covid must be listed in the primary cause of death chain on the death certificate. This was decided within a couple of months of the pandemic starting and a retroactive correction was made to the counts at that time.

You will sometimes see people saying "there's video of [xyz] saying if someone dies in a car crash and tests positive for covid, it counts as a covid death," but that was before the CDC standardized this.

You can see the guidelines here:

COVID-19 Coding and Reporting Guidance - National Vital Statistics System

Every Covid doubter/denier I've talked to knows someone that knows someone that's brother/uncle/friend/grandma died in a car accident and the death certificate said Covid. Are you telling me they're all liars?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:36 PM   #10983
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Every Covid doubter/denier I've talked to knows someone that knows someone that's brother/uncle/friend/grandma died in a car accident and the death certificate said Covid. Are you telling me they're all liars?

In my experience, it's that and somehow exactly 6 people they know that died from the jabby.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #10984
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

If we can't trust Nicki Minaj's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate's testicles, who can we trust?

SI

Old 04-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #10985
Edward64
Head Coach

From the DailyMail so take it FWIW. Interesting story. Anyone live (or knows anyone) in Washington Court House and works in Columbus?

The process to analyze sewage for Covid must be pretty weird. How does one person's poop, presumably mixed in tons of other poop, show up in a lab analysis?

Scientists launch manhunt for 'longest ever' Covid patient in Ohio | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Missouri team has been analyzing Covid samples from sewage across the US in search of 'cryptic' Covid strains — new variants of the virus that have emerged with unknown origins.
:
'We reverse analyze [wastewater] to see if anything in there that doesn't match any lineages,' Dr Johnson told DailyMail.com.

'Very early on there was this [sample] that was different than anything we had seen,' he continued.

Late last year, his team began to scan wastewater data from Ohio.

He found the virus in Columbus, the state's largest city of nearly 1million, and in Washington Court House, a small city of just 15,000 just southwest.

This same lineage has not been detected anywhere else to his knowledge. This specific pattern likely means the person lives in Washington Court House and commutes to Columbus.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #10986
Ksyrup

Maybe they can do the genealogy DNA thing and track the person down like they do serial killers.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #10987
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It would be amazing if this ends up being a married guy who has his side piece exposed due to his COVID poop.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:40 AM   #10988
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks, Ohio.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:04 AM   #10989
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't ask me why but I'm fascinated by poop sampling for covid. The article is from Jan 2023.

CDC figuring out 'logistical and legal' aspects of testing airplane wastewater for coronavirus variants, source says | CNN

Apparently, there are some potential legal hurdles. I guess there are some HIPAA or similar concerns but surely individual privacy concerns won't override national health concerns.

Quote:
The agency is still “figuring out how to operationalize this program,” a person close to CDC discussions said, adding that there are “logistical and legal” hurdles that need to be sorted out before the program “would be operational.”
In and out in 2 minutes, and analysis in 5-7 days (seems long to me). Assume if a variant become worrisome, they can speed up the analysis.

Quote:
“You can pull it off the airplane in under two minutes, quickly put it into a lab network, which we manage all of that,” McKnight said.
Quote:
“Usually, sequencing takes about five to seven days,” said Casandra Philipson, a researcher and program lead for Ginkgo Bioworks. Then, scientists may analyze their results and submit their findings to the CDC.
Didn't think about this but makes sense the data would be used to plan for the annual covid shot. Wonder if this can work for flu also e.g. I always hear the flu shots are 40-60% effective.

Quote:
Both McKnight and Philipson said that airplane wastewater surveillance not only can help with detecting emerging coronavirus and influenza variants – serving as a “radar system” – it can alert vaccine makers to which variants our Covid-19 shots might need to target each year.
In addition to planes, happening at UK airports so probably going to happen here too (which makes sense).

Quote:
A separate study conducted in the United Kingdom, published last week in the journal Plos Global Health, found that the majority of 150 wastewater samples collected from terminals and additional samples from 32 aircraft at three major international airports in the UK in March 2022 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. The data included three terminals total – one at each airport.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-29-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #10990
GrantDawg

You just wanted to say "poop."
Old 04-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #10991
Edward64
Head Coach

Yes, but actually poopy.

Been a long time since I've said that since kids went diaper free.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:59 AM   #10992
Edward64
Head Coach

Could go under Random but this is probably created largely because of Covid.

I can see this becoming popular in another/next pandemic (needs a v2 where it looks better and is lighter) but doubt it'll take off where things are. I like the concept & effort though.

Dyson Zone Review | PCMag
Quote:
If you swear by air purifiers for indoor use, now you can wear one on your head when you're out and about. Starting at $949.99, the futuristic Dyson Zone noise-cancelling headphones feature two tiny air purifiers that pull outside air through a filter and distribute it through a removable visor that sits in front of your nose and mouth.

The Zone significantly cuts down on odors, while reducing (but not completely eliminating) your exposure to inhalable particles and dangerous gases. The Zone works as advertised and deserves accolades for innovation, but its usefulness as an air purifier is limited since it's not a sealed mask. As for the audio, the Zone delivers rich lows and crisp highs in a balanced sound signature, but it's hard to say the sonics alone could justify the price. This niche product may still appeal to those seeking cleaner air to breathe outside of their home.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-30-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:44 PM   #10993
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just took a test, this is legitimately the first time I think I may have it. I get terrible seasonal allergies and I thought it was just that. Woke up today tired and sore. We are supposed to have my nieces graduation party here Saturday so I powerwashed the deck. Made it about an hour then came in and slept for 3 hours. Woke up feeling like my head was going to split in half so I took a test. I went to her indoor graduation Friday so I easily could have picked up something there.

I really hope it is negative. Between the party and my sons band competition Friday that he has worked all season for the timing couldn't be worse.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #10994
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Could go under Random but this is probably created largely because of Covid.

I can see this becoming popular in another/next pandemic (needs a v2 where it looks better and is lighter) but doubt it'll take off where things are. I like the concept & effort though.

Dyson Zone Review | PCMag

Very popular YouTuber MKBHD did a video review of the headphones yesterday. He said it's the dumbest product he's ever reviewed and noted the sound was comparable to $200-300 headphones.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-16-2023 at 02:10 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #10995
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Negative. Whew.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #10996
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Negative. Whew.

Whew Indeed, happy for you
Old 05-17-2023, 07:13 PM   #10997
Edward64
Head Coach

PSA.

My wife had Covid about a month ago. She's a runner and hasn't been feeling 100% while running, which we attributed to Covid remnants.

She went to the doctor and confirmed my wife's airways sounded blocked some. Wife got some steroids and Z-pack. She is feeling much better after a day of treatment. Wife said she didn't think it was that bad but the steroids & antibiotics were really noticeable.

So if you've had Covid and think you've recovered, haven't seen your doctor, and feel "off" ... make an appointment.

Bonus. The steroids and Z-pack were free, no co-payment at CVS. I'm not sure why, I remember always having a small $5-$10 co-payment. Something must have changed and not complaining.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #10998
Edward64
Head Coach

Not Covid related but poop related so thought it kinda fit here.

Apparently, there was a lot of dysentery going on back then.

Ancient toilets unearthed in Jerusalem reveal a debilitating and sometimes fatal disease | CNN
Quote:
They found one seat south of Jerusalem in the neighborhood of Armon ha-Natziv at a mansion excavated in 2019. It likely dates from the days of King Manasseh, who ruled for 50 years in the mid-seventh century BC. Made of limestone, the toilet has a large central hole for defecating and an adjacent hole likely for male urination.

The other toilet seat studied, similar in design, was excavated in the Old City of Jerusalem at a seven-room building known as the House of Ahiel, which would have been home to an upper-class family at the time.

The eggs of four types of intestinal parasites — tapeworm, pinworm, roundworm and whipworm — previously had been identified in the cesspit sediment. But the microorganisms that cause dysentery are fragile and extremely hard to detect, according to the new study.
Quote:
Cities such as Jerusalem likely would have been hot spots for disease outbreaks, and illnesses would have spread easily by traders and during military expeditions, according to the study.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:33 AM   #10999
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There's a reason that the development of reasonable sanitation practices was a gating element to civilizational growth.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #11000
Ksyrup

So I finally got Covid last week - in the middle of a trip, no less - and the symptoms still aren't fully gone. I think I went through every possible symptom you could have. Started with mild allergy-like symptoms - tickle in the back of the throat, sinus headache - which is why I didn't think much of it. That progressed to a bad sore throat and chills/hot flashes (no menopause jokes please!) for a couple of days (when I finally realized I had something more than just allergies). By Saturday, sore throat was gone and I started feeling better, but a lot of congestion and persistent cough. By early this week, my smell/taste was muted. Those symptoms have continued, more or less, until today.

I finally said fuck it and went for a run this morning. I'm just going to power through it and if I'm still not seeing any progress by Tuesday, I'll message my doctor to see if he'll prescribe something stronger. I've already gone through an 80-count bag of cough drops and 4 bottles of Mucinex and Dayquil/Nyquil. Today is day 10 so I'm finally leaving the house for the first time since we got back from our trip on Sunday.