Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2024, 08:43 AM   #701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Might be watching CBS sports coverage more often once Leicester gets relegated again.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 09:23 AM   #702
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder how much the Wrexham effect played into this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 08:14 AM   #703
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is a headline in the Washington Post today that reads:

"At ESPN, everything revolves around Stephen A. Smith and Pat McAfee"

That is Exhibit A as to why, outside of live, actual sports, I never ever turn on ESPN.

I do not understand the appeal of either of those two guys.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #704
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
There is a headline in the Washington Post today that reads:

"At ESPN, everything revolves around Stephen A. Smith and Pat McAfee"

That is Exhibit A as to why, outside of live, actual sports, I never ever turn on ESPN.

I do not understand the appeal of either of those two guys.

I haven't listened to any sports talk radio outside occasionally the fantasy sports channel on Sirius, in probably 8-9 years.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:25 AM   #705
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I haven't listened to any sports talk radio outside occasionally the fantasy sports channel on Sirius, in probably 8-9 years.

I like the local afternoon sports talk radio guys here in Detroit, but other than that all of my sports listening intake is via podcasts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 08:55 AM   #706
Ksyrup

I rarely watch ESPN outside of live content.

Last week, during US Open qualifying, one of the ESPN channels was televising some of the matches. Since there was nothing good to put on as background while I worked, I put it on. I didn't realize it was only for a couple of hours, and I got busy with work and didn't pay much attention to what was on, but when I did look at the TV, I saw the Pat McAfee Show.

And up at the top and in a couple of other places on the screen, I was a bunch of references to PMS Live!

And I thought to myself, that's exactly the kind of guy Pat McAfee appeals to - the guy who sees "PMS" and thinks it's hilarious!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-29-2024, 02:23 PM   #707
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And I thought to myself, that's exactly the kind of guy Pat McAfee appeals to - the guy who sees "PMS" and thinks it's hilarious!

Not saying you are one of them but I feel like a lot of people claim to not watch ESPN but do even if it is a hate watch. I would say McAfee's audience is mostly people who hate watch the channel but enjoys McAfee shitting on the network and the people that run it every chance he gets.

That observation is based solely on every other clip I see on Awful Announcing is McAfee shitting on the network and the people that run it and not on any consumption of the McAfee show. YMMV
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 02:27 PM   #708
Ksyrup

I've never even watched enough of him to know he does that. My uninformed opinion of him is that he ought to be co-hosting a show with someone like Clay Travis.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:27 PM   #709
miami_fan
Coordinator

Speaking of people not watching ESPN...

Just a moment...
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 07:45 PM   #710
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fucking what the actual fuck......
Old 09-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #711
cuervo72
Head Coach

DirecTV needed to do that with Fox News.

Interestingly the WaPo had a “ESPN is basically McAfee and Smith” article today.

Honestly, if we weren’t going to finally drop DTV for cost reasons, I’d probably be able to work around it. Seems like half the time their biggest games are on ABC now anyway.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #712
Ksyrup

That is using leverage to a point at which it might backfire. Although if sports fans react like they usually do to contract negotiations when they give owners a free pass while blaming the players for work stoppages, then ESPN probably feels like they're the owners and DTV is the players.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:00 AM   #713
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If anyone hears an explosion from the jersey shore it’s my wife going thermonuclear when she learns she can’t watch the bachelorette finale tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:57 AM   #714
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Do a free trial of YouTube TV or something similar
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:06 AM   #715
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Do a free trial of YouTube TV or something similar

We should be able to get it on Hulu or something the next day but if this drags on I may. Thanks for the idea BTW, great call

Last edited by Lathum : 09-02-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2024, 10:33 AM   #716
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My plan for the first Monday Night Football game is a free trial to youtube tv, the 2nd is a free trial to Hulu. If it drags into the 3rd then that is when my plan renews with Directv Stream and I guess we will be going back to Comcast at that point.

Last year at the start of the football season had this same shit with Directv and the local CBS channel so we moved to Youtube TV full time for a couple of months. Youtube is basically the same but it's hard during baseball and basketball season when they have none of our RSNs.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't care about cost (I'm not going to have two TV providers though, that's insane). I just want to be able to watch what I want to watch.

Last edited by dubb93 : 09-02-2024 at 10:36 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:49 AM   #717
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I suspect Disney is using the Monday night opener, and the bachelorette finale, as leverage and something gets worked out before too long.