Old 07-25-2024, 08:26 PM   #2252
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That was sarcasm BTW
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 08:42 PM   #2253
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yikes. JD is 16 points underwater in favorability in the midwest.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:01 PM   #2254
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The amusing part to me:

- People make false accusations about Harris: disgusting, how dare they (this is the correct response)
- People make false accusations about Vance: lol that's hilarious.

Honestly, the Vance couch stuff is hilarious.

You are right that it is wrong to make false accusations about someone, especially of a sexual nature.

But I personally don't pretend that I'm a good person.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:06 PM   #2255
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This guy is good.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:43 PM   #2256
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Mostly agree. It's just a list of things conservatives have talked about for decades. And the Heritage Foundation has lost most of its influence in Washington so it's funny to see them being trotted out as a boogeyman.

With that said, it's incredibly fucking stupid to put all your unpopular ideas like that down on a document that can be shared. Can't blame the Democrats for taking advantage of that massive blunder.

They're still a bit disconcerting though. And as has been said, it's not like they haven't had any wins.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:58 PM   #2257
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This guy is good.

Yeah, he's really good. Democrats have a stable of savvy Governors that were being blocked out by the old guard. I think people will be surprised if they get more publicity.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 11:21 PM   #2258
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

lol I think she has a shot

Old 07-26-2024, 05:47 AM   #2259
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner.

Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 08:56 AM   #2260
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
lol I think she has a shot

Right now, it's probably fairly close to a coin flip, which is remarkable considering where this thing stood after that disastrous Biden debate performance.

These state polls are what to keep an eye on, especially Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. The national polls aren't meaningless, but keep in mind that she needs to be up by about 4 points or more in the popular vote to translate into an electoral college lead.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:22 AM   #2261
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Doing the debate so early with Biden and picking Vance as VP will go down as two of the biggest blunders in American political history.

Not if Trump wins.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:27 AM   #2262
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
These state polls are what to keep an eye on, especially Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. The national polls aren't meaningless, but keep in mind that she needs to be up by about 4 points or more in the popular vote to translate into an electoral college lead.

Going to quote this for importance. I've seen a lot about how engagement for Democrats is up among minorities and young people, and that's great. But this isn't about running up the vote in New York, California, and Illinois. She needs to win some group of Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, Arizona.

Since 1992, the Democratic candidate has won the popular vote in every GE except 2004. It's not about how many votes you get, it's where you get those votes.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:48 AM   #2263
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Predict it has it at 56/47 Trump right now, which feels about right.

Pretty much a coin flip with a slight Trump edge.

We don't know how many quiet old white Biden voters there are in the Midwest who aren't going to blindly jump on the Harris bandwagon.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:55 AM   #2264
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Obamas have officially endorsed Kamala.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:57 AM   #2265
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Going to quote this for importance. I've seen a lot about how engagement for Democrats is up among minorities and young people, and that's great. But this isn't about running up the vote in New York, California, and Illinois. She needs to win some group of Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, Arizona.

Since 1992, the Democratic candidate has won the popular vote in every GE except 2004. It's not about how many votes you get, it's where you get those votes.

Positive news in Michigan:

Harris, Trump tied in Michigan survey

I can't recall where I read it, but someone posted that Trump was +8 in the last poll. Not sure if that's accurate or not, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 10:11 AM   #2266
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's not particularly meaningful unless it's the last poll by the same pollster.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:26 AM   #2267
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Obamas have officially endorsed Kamala.

That might be the final nail in Marianne Williamson's coffin.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:02 PM   #2268
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not if Trump wins.

Of course, but this race went from a Trump cakewalk to a coin flip in about a week. If Trump holds off on the debate till after the convention, Dems are stuck with Biden.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:09 PM   #2269
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Right now, it's probably fairly close to a coin flip, which is remarkable considering where this thing stood after that disastrous Biden debate performance.

I think a lot of the statistical folks who pour over data have said that's no longer the case. That there is actually a decent chance that Trump wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college.

Maybe that changes with Kamala but Biden's strategy was to alienate the base to hopefully snag enough white men in the Rust Belt to win. His support in solid blue states was down from your typical Democratic candidate.

There was also a Georgia poll that had Trump up 1 only, but it showed Kamala with over 30% of the white vote. If a Democrat gets over 30% in Georgia, I've seen all the stat folks say she'll win the state barring a huge dropoff in black voters.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:50 PM   #2270
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
There was also a Georgia poll that had Trump up 1 only, but it showed Kamala with over 30% of the white vote. If a Democrat gets over 30% in Georgia, I've seen all the stat folks say she'll win the state barring a huge dropoff in black voters.

I saw something once that if a Dem could ever get 25% of the White vote in Mississippi, they would win. Crazy stat.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #2271
Atocep
Coordinator

The voting demographics have shifted somewhat substantially over the past 4 years. Baby Boomers are passing away and the GOP has done nothing to appeal to young voters replacing them that aren't fueled by racism.

It's anyone's guess until we see the results but I don't think the GOP has the same advantages they previously had. Polling right now is also more likely to overstate GOP support rather than Dems because some assumptions are being made by pollsters trying to figure out Trump's support and making some guesses at what the electoral demographics will look like.

What should worry Trump, now that Biden isn't on the ticket, is nearly every state poll in the primaries overshot his support prior to the primary.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #2272
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's anyone's guess until we see the results but I don't think the GOP has the same advantages they previously had. Polling right now is also more likely to overstate GOP support rather than Dems because some assumptions are being made by pollsters trying to figure out Trump's support and making some guesses at what the electoral demographics will look like.

That's how I feel as well. I've been pretty vocal about how I don't trust the newly 'adjusted' polling methods for the Presidential race, but I DO trust the movement of those polls. Like I don't trust the baseline they're starting from, but if that number shifts 10 points in one direction that significant movement is a legit indicator, regardless of the accuracy of the starting point.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 01:28 PM   #2273
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I think a lot of the statistical folks who pour over data have said that's no longer the case. That there is actually a decent chance that Trump wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college.

I'd like to see this, because I doubt this very much. Given the way the electoral college is structured, I'm not sure it is possible for a GOP candidate to win the popular vote but lose the EC.
Old 07-26-2024, 01:35 PM   #2274
Danny
Head Coach

If they get rising support in big blue states. Theres definitely still a trump segment here in California.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 01:42 PM   #2275
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"JD Vance searched for interspecies dolphin sex, and
then admitted it on Twitter"

https://www.rawstory.com/jd-vance-dolphin-search-history/

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-26-2024 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:08 PM   #2276
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was half-expecting to see a picture of Jim McElwain and a shark.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 02:49 PM   #2277
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Of course, but this race went from a Trump cakewalk to a coin flip in about a week. If Trump holds off on the debate till after the convention, Dems are stuck with Biden.
If Trump doesn't have an assassination attempt, the Dems are probably stuck with Biden. The bad polls are what hurt Biden and they didn't really get ugly until Mid July. In April, Trump had a 2-point lead. In early July, the aggregate was around +2.3, it wasn't until after July 13 that the damn broke to +3.5.

Last edited by Arles : 07-26-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 02:55 PM   #2278
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If they get rising support in big blue states. Theres definitely still a trump segment here in California.

But the same demographic that would "rise" in CA (or IL, or NY, etc...) is also going to be present in swing states. Every time someone digs deep into this they say something like (this is a totally made up example) "young latino men will come out in force for Trump in CA even though it won't make a difference" but then young latino men will also come out in force in Arizona where it will.

I'd love to see a Trump-supporting demographic that a) we expect to expand in voting participation this election and b) is mainly confined to solid blue states.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #2279
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'll be interested in where everything is in September. I think June to early July was the best possible set of circumstances for Trump (Hunter trial, bad Biden debate, failed assassination) and late July has been the best set of circumstances for Harris (great fundraising, everyone falling in line, even Beyonce doing an ad for her!).

I don't think Trump was going to keep his lead from early July no matter what so I will be interested to see how the ads and machines work in August for both parties. I do think this will be a close election, there's just so much noise on both sides with this much time left.

I think one big advantage for Harris is she will only be campaigning for a little over three months before people vote. There hasn't been enough time for the right to chip away at her and do what they did to Hillary (massive 18 month onslaught). If the Dems can properly frame Harris quickly as a good alternative to the two old guys, I think she could win. They need to be aggressive though. The flip side is if they just rely on positive media coverage and let the Trump goons flood TVs with attack ads on her (a la Hillary), the opposite could happen. This is like a court trial where the republicans are trying to sew "reasonable doubt" in white voters on Harris and her team needs to be ready to fight this. And, yes, I know my analogy is reversed to real life where Trump is the felon and Harris is the prosecutor

Last edited by Arles : 07-26-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 03:38 PM   #2280
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That makes sense, Arles.

If you think about it, the GOP had been chipping away at Hillary since 1992.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:38 PM   #2281
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

lol...
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 04:26 PM   #2282
GrantDawg

FBI report says what hit Trump in the ear was a bullet, whether whole or fragmented.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2024, 08:00 PM   #2283
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'll be interested in where everything is in September. I think June to early July was the best possible set of circumstances for Trump (Hunter trial, bad Biden debate, failed assassination) and late July has been the best set of circumstances for Harris (great fundraising, everyone falling in line, even Beyonce doing an ad for her!).

I don't think Trump was going to keep his lead from early July no matter what so I will be interested to see how the ads and machines work in August for both parties. I do think this will be a close election, there's just so much noise on both sides with this much time left.

I think one big advantage for Harris is she will only be campaigning for a little over three months before people vote. There hasn't been enough time for the right to chip away at her and do what they did to Hillary (massive 18 month onslaught). If the Dems can properly frame Harris quickly as a good alternative to the two old guys, I think she could win. They need to be aggressive though. The flip side is if they just rely on positive media coverage and let the Trump goons flood TVs with attack ads on her (a la Hillary), the opposite could happen. This is like a court trial where the republicans are trying to sew "reasonable doubt" in white voters on Harris and her team needs to be ready to fight this. And, yes, I know my analogy is reversed to real life where Trump is the felon and Harris is the prosecutor

Hillary had like 20+ years of being a repulsive human being. She was wrong on almost every single issue. It wasn't some Trump attacks that did her in, it was that she was a bad candidate that people didn't like.

The difference in now and 2016 is that Trump is more unpopular than he was before. His mere presence riles up voters. And he can no longer run on the "outsider" platform that worked in 2016.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic on Harris' chance, but I feel like she has a lot in her favor. Republicans and Trump are inherently unpopular. Their ideas are weird and people don't like them (his candidates lost every swing state in 2022). Harris doesn't need to be a great candidate, just someone who can speak on how weird Trump, make abortion a central issue, and act like a normal human being.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:03 PM   #2284
GrantDawg

From what I have seen, she has definitely energized people. My timeline is full of people who had said they would never vote for Biden that are now all in on Kamala.

Old 07-26-2024, 08:08 PM   #2285
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
If Trump doesn't have an assassination attempt, the Dems are probably stuck with Biden. The bad polls are what hurt Biden and they didn't really get ugly until Mid July. In April, Trump had a 2-point lead. In early July, the aggregate was around +2.3, it wasn't until after July 13 that the damn broke to +3.5.

Biden was getting clobbered all the way back to 2023 if you look at the swing states. He shit on his base hard to defend Israel and it cost him dearly. The debate was the last straw as it solidified every negative point against him.

It's also coming out that his campaign didn't know what the fuck they were doing. They didn't run internal polling for 2 months. They had no ads running on social media. And his advisors kept telling him to talk up his foreign policy which was disastrous instead of focusing on abortion. Just a clusterfuck and I think we'll get some eye-opening books some day about his administration.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:22 PM   #2286
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
From what I have seen, she has definitely energized people. My timeline is full of people who had said they would never vote for Biden that are now all in on Kamala.

For sure. I still would have voted Biden 100% against Trump but I didnt really feel good about supporting his run for a second term.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 08:30 PM   #2287
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But the same demographic that would "rise" in CA (or IL, or NY, etc...) is also going to be present in swing states. Every time someone digs deep into this they say something like (this is a totally made up example) "young latino men will come out in force for Trump in CA even though it won't make a difference" but then young latino men will also come out in force in Arizona where it will.

I'd love to see a Trump-supporting demographic that a) we expect to expand in voting participation this election and b) is mainly confined to solid blue states.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the advantage Republicans had shrinking. There are others who have talked about it (Silver, ettingermentum) too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/11/u...rump-2024.html

What it boils down to is Republicans are making gains with minorities. But minorities make up a higher percentage in states that are not competitive. For instance, the 5 states with the highest population of Hispanic voters are California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, and New York. So if Republicans pick up a couple points in those states, it doesn't change the result, but it's millions of votes difference.

In the same vain, Democrats have been making gains with white voters. It's why Biden was able to carry Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin that have some of the highest percentage of white voters in the country. Gaining a couple percentage points helps in the electoral college, but not so much in the popular vote since those states are smaller.

This was a trend in 2022. Whether this changes with Kamala on the ticket is another story. But Biden's best path to winning was sneaking out wins in PA, WI, and MI which would have still not gotten him enough to win the popular vote considering how poorly he was doing even in deep blue states.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:37 PM   #2288
GrantDawg

These are interesting numbers....
https://x.com/yashar/status/18170109...ifKfkl4vw&s=19

Old 07-26-2024, 08:42 PM   #2289
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Trump's numbers are still be bolstered by people who didn't vote in 2022 or 2020.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:52 PM   #2290
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

I mean Trump is the one saying stuff like this:

Quote:
Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:53 PM   #2291
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Not a single Black voter in Michigan poll says they'll back Trump - Raw Story
Old 07-26-2024, 09:15 PM   #2292
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
These are interesting numbers....
x.com

Shapiro helps in Pennsylvania but I think might hurt elsewhere. I'm sure they have run the numbers though to decide if he's worth the risk.
Old 07-27-2024, 07:42 AM   #2293
GrantDawg

Andy Beshear is headlining a campaign rally in Atlanta this weekend. There are lots of big hitter politicians putting a full court press on to try to get the VP pick.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-27-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:09 PM   #2294
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's a pretty good breakdown of the advantage Republicans had shrinking. There are others who have talked about it (Silver, ettingermentum) too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/11/u...rump-2024.html

That's fine, and I was aware of that, but I see no evidence that Trump can/will win the popular vote but not win the electoral college, which was your original claim/suggestion.

And this is important because regardless of the result people really need to understand how badly the EC disadvantages democratic POTUS candidates.
Old 07-27-2024, 01:42 PM   #2295
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
That's fine, and I was aware of that, but I see no evidence that Trump can/will win the popular vote but not win the electoral college, which was your original claim/suggestion.

And this is important because regardless of the result people really need to understand how badly the EC disadvantages democratic POTUS candidates.

And people really need to understand the great compromise the smaller states agreed to in order for the Union to be formed. It will always be advantageous to the smaller states because without some ability to feel represented, they would have remained simply colonies to another power.

If you ever forced a vote based on sheer population we would no longer be a Republic and would force all states to re-evaluate their entry into this Union.

The popular vote and the EC have been at odds perhaps 5 times? 6 times? So far, that’s one a helluva great result for the original compromise.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 02:20 PM   #2296
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In 1770, the population of the smallest state, Delaware, was 8% that of the largest state, Virginia. In 2020, the population of the smallest state, Wyoming, was 1.5% that of the largest state, California.

The EC devalues the votes of millions of Americans, as done the Senate. If you truly think there's value in preserving the sovereignity of small, rural, states, then let's compromise after a quarter of a millenium and get rid of one of them.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:25 PM   #2297
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It and the Senate were also made to protect slavery. That was what they were concerned about.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:27 PM   #2298
cuervo72
Head Coach

And why should that matter anymore for the presidency? Especially now? Have we asked what some of the "smaller" states think? For that matter, define "smaller"? Why is Montana a "small" state? What compromise was their entry part of, in 1889?
Old 07-27-2024, 02:39 PM   #2299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Or looking at it from another angle, why should you have more say in matters if you decide to move away from everyone else??
Old 07-27-2024, 03:02 PM   #2300
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, I'm sure because home state is very important electors in Delaware right now are all "YO WHAT THE SHIT, CALIFORNIA! THANKS FOR THE FRIGGIN' SCREW JOB!!"