Coordinator

Soccer Thread 2024-25 Edition

Women's Bronze Medal game
Men's Gold Medal
Eredivisie
Turkish Super Lig
The Lower Divisions

And that is just tomorrow!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 07:33 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

EFL Championship, etcetera. This is where ESPN+ and Paramount+ start earning their subscription fees.
Old 08-09-2024, 02:49 PM   #3
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Men Under-23's Gold Medal
Fixed that for ya.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

I'll give Spain the U23 designation but not France despite what the rules say. Can't have 50% of your U23 team's goals in the tournament by men OVER the age of 23.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-17-2024, 07:48 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, EPL starts this weekend and from what I've read, Leicester is an easy relegation candidate. And then I see Daka is out for several months and of course Vardy is out for a while. Long season coming, it sounds like.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 12:04 PM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I believe the decision on the points deduction is still pending, right?

Without the points deduction it's going to be tough, given the personnel and basically an inability to strengthen the squad. With a points deduction it's a foregone conclusion, sadly.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 01:28 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Interestingly, one of the articles I read said they had money for players but were bidding for players against the teams they had previously been matched up against during their last EPL run, and lost out on all of them - and, it was doubtful they had the money to pay those transfer fees. Instead, they should have been focusing on battles for players against the bottom tier teams that they will be fighting to stay up against.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-17-2024, 02:42 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

After watching the EPL and a few of the Pokal matches involving the top German clubs, I think these players need another 2-3 weeks of actual preseason work to get them ready for the new season.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:32 PM   #9
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

They play too many dang matches. I don't think Rodri will even be in the squad tomorrow. Looking forward to that club world cup next summer and I'm sure all the players are too
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 10:53 AM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Erling B. Haaland
Old 08-25-2024, 08:51 AM   #11
Ksyrup

In terms of pure action/excitement, Wolves/Chelsea 1st half is one of the best soccer games I've watched in a long time.
Old 08-25-2024, 08:53 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In terms of pure action/excitement, Wolves/Chelsea 1st half is one of the best soccer games I've watched in a long time.

Figures I decided to watch the Newcastle game
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 09:33 AM   #13
Ksyrup

Well the action has continued in the 2nd half; the suspense not so much.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:51 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and the Newcastle game has gotten VERY entertaining
Old 08-25-2024, 09:55 AM   #15
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

How is that goal disallowed. PL officiating is so shockingly bad
Old 08-25-2024, 10:17 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
How is that goal disallowed. PL officiating is so shockingly bad

Not only was that absurd but clotheslining the keeper only gets you a yellow card?
Old 08-27-2024, 03:33 PM   #17
whomario
Pro Starter

World's biggest document scanner was just build in Madrid. Hearing it will be multi-purpose and also play host to Real Madrid matches.

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-27-2024 at 03:35 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:41 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
World's biggest document scanner was just build in Madrid. Hearing it will be multi-purpose and also play host to Real Madrid matches.

USB or Bluetooth?
Old 08-27-2024, 03:43 PM   #19
Ksyrup

Probably will get more use as a document shredder.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:13 PM   #20
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Haaland
Old 08-31-2024, 07:14 PM   #21
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Again, the football equivalent of a war crime.

Although, it does show rather dramatically how much benefit there is to actually having the summer off from football.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Re Man U's coaching situation... sometimes your first instinct is the right answer.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:41 AM   #23
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Just needs a little more time and another transfer window
Old 09-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Re Man U's coaching situation... sometimes your first instinct is the right answer.

If we are being honest, their first instinct is to re-hire Sir Alex. It might be a better answer but I don't think it would be the right answer.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:43 PM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

We have the NWSL on because there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else on (good job, again, NFL for wasting the weekend). Two impressions.

One, I was made to understand that the league was having boffo turnouts? The game in Cary, NC looked like a high school crowd. (I know, same could be said for the A’s.) This LA game is a little better…kind of like a midweek MAC game or something.

Two, I know, tradition and all that. It just seems ass stupid to keep a running clock for the five minutes it takes to evaluate a player for a concussion, then two more for a video review…just stop the damned clock.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:46 PM   #26
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, wife just asked: “Is this in Chicago?” No, it’s in LA, they just list the home team first because reasons, I guess.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-01-2024 at 03:46 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 03:58 PM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seventeen minutes of extra time.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:00 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
One, I was made to understand that the league was having boffo turnouts?

Yeah, that's a pretty popular, but utterly false, narrative.

2-3 draw relatively okay (five figure averages, though often buffed by one big game), the rest hover around 5,000 at most.

And that doesn't take into consideration any "creative accounting" that could take place to fluff those numbers.
Old 09-02-2024, 12:51 PM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Just needs a little more time and another transfer window

Another 115, maybe.

Quote:
If we are being honest, their first instinct is to re-hire Sir Alex. It might be a better answer but I don't think it would be the right answer.

I think that was the problem. The Glazers kept trying to hire another Sir Alex, not realizing that the day of just hiring the Great Man and letting him make all the decisions has passed on into history. Klopp was a great manager, but FSG had a whole infrastructure built to support him. Guardiola is a great manager, but famously CFG put a very specific infrastructure (imported from Barcelona) to support him. Ditto Arteta at Arsenal. Even Levy at Tottenham kind of gets this.

Hopefully Ratcliffe understands this, and certainly the appointments over the summer point in that direction, but the club is simply rotten to the core and just like trying to transform any large organization, it's going to take a lot of time.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #30
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Two, I know, tradition and all that. It just seems ass stupid to keep a running clock for the five minutes it takes to evaluate a player for a concussion, then two more for a video review…just stop the damned clock.

Quote:
Seventeen minutes of extra time.

Don't trust the match official to add the proper amount of extra time I see
Old 09-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #31
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I think that was the problem. The Glazers kept trying to hire another Sir Alex, not realizing that the day of just hiring the Great Man and letting him make all the decisions has passed on into history. Klopp was a great manager, but FSG had a whole infrastructure built to support him. Guardiola is a great manager, but famously CFG put a very specific infrastructure (imported from Barcelona) to support him. Ditto Arteta at Arsenal. Even Levy at Tottenham kind of gets this.

Hopefully Ratcliffe understands this, and certainly the appointments over the summer point in that direction, but the club is simply rotten to the core and just like trying to transform any large organization, it's going to take a lot of time.

You can definitely blame the Glazers but I also don't see anyone inside or outside the Manchester United organization being accepting of that new structure ESPECIALLY right after Sir Alex retired. Arsene Wenger said this in May 2017

Quote:
"What is [a] director of football? I don't know what it means," he began. "Is it somebody who stands on the road and directs play right and left? I never could understand what it means. I am manager of Arsenal football club, and as long as I am, I will decide what happens on the technical front, and that's it."

Remember how much ridicule Liverpool's "Moneyball transfer committee" got after Brendan Rogers got fired and everyone claimed that Klopp should not take the job if he and he alone was not allowed to make the decisions on which players to bring in. I would argue that it wasn't until Pep came in and won it in 17-18 that the English football community began accepting that such a structure would be successful in the EPL.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:23 PM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't trust the match official to add the proper amount of extra time I see

Oh, that was a function of the player who was checked the first time hitting her head AGAIN, necessitating a second prolonged injury stoppage. It still seems like a silly construct.

Actually...even more silly when I look at the final -- it looks like they didn't stop the clock during the lengthy weather delay either. 90+98'. Wonder what they do if a game needs to be resumed at a later date.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:12 AM   #33
miami_fan
Coordinator

Leicester win appeal, will avoid Premier League points deduction - ESPN

Congratulations Leicester Fans!

The relegation was worth it?
Old 09-04-2024, 05:16 PM   #34
AlexB
Pro Starter

Rhetorical question I’m guessing, but I’ll answer anyway - no.

Although we escaped a direct punishment for what would have been a clear breach, relegation, selling all our best players last year, selling KDH this year, and not being able to compete in the market this summer because of the uncertainty are all indirect punishments that have hamstrung us: Forest and Everton are (or maybe should be in Everton’s case!) in much stronger positions than us.

Relegation may have meant we dodged a points deduction, but we’re still much worse off than if we’d have stayed up, so those who are saying we have gotten away with it scot free are very mistaken.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 05:01 AM   #35
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

San Marino got their first non-friendly win.no longer worth managing on FM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 06:18 AM   #36
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Rhetorical question I’m guessing, but I’ll answer anyway - no.

Although we escaped a direct punishment for what would have been a clear breach, relegation, selling all our best players last year, selling KDH this year, and not being able to compete in the market this summer because of the uncertainty are all indirect punishments that have hamstrung us: Forest and Everton are (or maybe should be in Everton’s case!) in much stronger positions than us.

Relegation may have meant we dodged a points deduction, but we’re still much worse off than if we’d have stayed up, so those who are saying we have gotten away with it scot free are very mistaken.

It was not rhetorical tbh. I don't think that there was a conscience decision by the club owners to get the club relegated to avoid punishment. I did wonder if it provided the fans with a small respite from losing in the PL every week to winning in the Champ most week while also providing the owners a scapegoat to point and blame for the club's uncertain financial position.
Old 09-06-2024, 06:25 AM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
San Marino got their first non-friendly win.no longer worth managing on FM.

I wonder if that is the real reason why SI made international management unplayable in FM25
Old 09-06-2024, 10:02 AM   #38
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was not rhetorical tbh. I don't think that there was a conscience decision by the club owners to get the club relegated to avoid punishment. I did wonder if it provided the fans with a small respite from losing in the PL every week to winning in the Champ most week while also providing the owners a scapegoat to point and blame for the club's uncertain financial position.

Last season was definitely more fun, but relegation is rarely worth it!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 10:47 AM   #39
miami_fan
Coordinator

Was Mauricio Pochettino at the US-Canada match yesterday?

It's not a big deal if he wasn't but I kinda want to see him around the US matches and more importantly US training. I don't think it is some major insult to Mikey Varas's training sessions or game management if Poch was an observer this international break before he officially takes the job.
Old 09-08-2024, 02:48 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think it is some major insult to Mikey Varas's training sessions or game management ...

Do those exist?