Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2024, 01:44 PM   #101
Edward64
Head Coach

Dawgs defense is impressive.

Edit: think that was 3 possessions and 3 TDs, so taking care of business now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-31-2024 at 01:48 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 02:13 PM   #102
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They are talking about the Georgia football culture, and how dedicated the the players are to football and their team. I just wish they also add a culture of being responsible behind the wheel.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 02:20 PM   #103
Edward64
Head Coach

Vandy came back to tie up the game with less than 2 min left to play! Rooting for the Commodores.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:21 PM   #104
GrantDawg

Vt 27 - Vandy 27. Less than two minutes left. This was not supposed to be a tight game.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:35 PM   #105
GrantDawg

Vandy miss the winning FG with time expiring, reminding you why they are Vandy.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:37 PM   #106
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, at least that filled up the time until the Miami-FL game.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:38 PM   #107
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The one thing I will NEVER understand is when I’m watching a game on repeat, and ESPN shows the score in the ticker underneath. It is guaranteed to make me turn it off 100 out of 100 times… literally just happened as I was watching TCU Stanford this morning waiting for soccer to come on. Who watches a full game when they already know the outcome?

How hard is it to not have that happen? Are they really just in fuck it mode at that time, the only people watching are too drunk or high to turn it off anyway? If you were an advertiser wouldn’t you ask them not to actively deincentivize whatever tiny audience they have to change the channel and go somewhere else?

It’s entirely possible one of my first ever posts on this board was on this topic, btw.

Completely agree.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 02:43 PM   #108
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I really don't know how it is any different than it ever has been. It has always been ridiculous and something people constantly complain about. The money from those games is the lifeblood of those small schools sports programs, and there is no way the big school would pay that for a scrimmage that won't bring the money of an actual game-day does. Eventually there is going to be a break away, and the top programs will have that super conference. Lower tier schools will have to learn to survive on a lesser stage. Money wins out, that is a free market.

My point is I KNOW it is not any different than what it has always been. I'm saying it FEELS different to me. In my mind the breakaway has already happened. I am fine with the breakaway leagues and can't wait for the final version to be completed. I know what the point of the game is financially for the smaller schools as well. Watching the first half of that last night felt like they brought back a 4th NFL preseason game and allowed one team to play only their starters and the other team to only play guys who were barely on the cut bubble. I am sure Temple would make more money playing a preseason game against the Eagles but I think that is unacceptable as well.

Like I said, I did not watch Utah vs Southern Utah, Missouri vs Murray State or Kansas vs Lindenwood. Maybe I would have said the same things about those games if I watched them. While I understand that the talent difference between those bigger schools and their opponents in those match ups may be the same or even bigger than the one between Oklahoma and Temple, it feels like schools such as Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan etc. have programs that have advanced so far beyond bringing in a Temple for such a game in 2024. These programs no longer feel like college programs to me. They feel closer to being professional. Games like Oklahoma vs Temple that still felt like college football to me in the past. They no longer feel that way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 02:48 PM   #109
GrantDawg

Vandy wins in overtime. Just a reminder:

Old 08-31-2024, 05:14 PM   #110
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Loving the Cam Ward show so far.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 06:07 PM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Loving the Cam Ward show so far.

He is really amazing and fun to watch. He is the one player I was most worried would beat us last year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 07:23 PM   #112
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

OSU looks really similar to last year. Lots of receiving, RB talent, questions at QB, an OLine that can't open holes, and generally very good defense from to back.

Is that enough to beat Iowa, Oregon, Penn St., and Michigan?
Old 08-31-2024, 07:31 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wait. Iowa scored 40 points?

Obviously that's gonna need to be patched again.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:40 PM   #114
Edward64
Head Coach

Aggies hanging tough.

I always assume the Irish are ranked too high beginning of the season.
Old 08-31-2024, 08:06 PM   #115
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wait. Iowa scored 40 points?

Obviously that's gonna need to be patched again.

Kirk was serving his 1 game suspension for recruiting violations. I'd guess it worked like when the substitute teacher was in and it was a free for all. They'll probably be back to 19.5 PPG next week.
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 11:49 PM   #116
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Aggies hanging tough.

I always assume the Irish are ranked too high beginning of the season.

Great win by the Irish. Nice answer for all the haters out there. I always have felt A&M is another school generally overrated in general on all accounts.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-31-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:00 AM   #117
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Notre Dame-A&M game was good but out of like 80 games, you can count on one hand the competitive ones it seems. Tons of blowouts. Maybe it's normal but I felt like I couldn't find a decent game most of the day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:18 AM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Notre Dame-A&M game was good but out of like 80 games, you can count on one hand the competitive ones it seems. Tons of blowouts. Maybe it's normal but I felt like I couldn't find a decent game most of the day.

Lost a few of those to the pre-Saturday schedule, which is kinda luck of the draw I think.

In the ACC alone this week (which started Thursday)
Thu: NC State - WCU was 21-17 WCU until the 4th quarter
Thu: UNC over Minnesota 19-17 -- not entertaining but competitive
Fri: TCU over Stanford 34-27
Sat: Vandy over Va Tech 34-27 in OT

SEC at least had ND-A&M 23-13. Ugly, but competitive. Even uglier SC over Old Dominion 23-19.

Big 12 only had a couple either. Colorado 31-26 and then Tx Tech-Abilene Christian an OT one-pointer.

Big 10 had a few. MSU-FAU ended 16-10. UCLA-Hawaii was a 3 point finish. Northwestern-Miami(OH) 13-6. Michigan-Fresno was just 16-10 with 10 mins left. Oregon-Idaho was 17-14 with just under 10 mins left.

Sun Belt had 5 that were easily in the competitive category. AAC had really only one, CUSA had 3 or 4.

So, I mean, not dozens upon dozens but nearly two dozen on Saturday, over 2 dozen if you count the long week stealing a few
Old 09-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #119
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just curious if anyone knows much about C2P helmets? So the deal is the coach can tallk to one player, who has a helmet with a green dot. If a team rotates QBs, from what I saw both QBs had a green dot. That makes sense, and probably only one works at a time. Does that mean they can't both be in the same play? And even more for defense, - one guy has the green dot, but with all the substitutions, how do you ensure just one guy with a green dot is on the field?

Last edited by Passacaglia : 09-01-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:45 PM   #120
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Just curious if anyone knows much about C2P helmets? So the deal is the coach can tallk to one player, who has a helmet with a green dot. If a team rotates QBs, from what I saw both QBs had a green dot. That makes sense, and probably only one works at a time. Does that mean they can't both be in the same okay? And even more for defense, - one guy has the green dot, but with all the substitutions, how do you ensure just one guy with a green dot is on the field?

I can't speak specifically to the college rules but I'm guessing it's similar to the NFL rules which are.

Each team gets 3 players on each side of the ball that can have radios. A primary player, and 2 backups. The two backups must have a radio helmet and a non-radio helmet available during the game (guessing not an issue for QBs).

When a backup enters the game and replaces the primary radio player, they must report to the umpire. If they don't, it's considered an illegal substitution penalty. So basically if the umpire has #55 as the primary and anyone else is on the field with a green dot from that team, it's a penalty.

In the NFL, if all 3 designated radio players get hurt, that's it. They have to just relay plays from the sideline or another way.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:58 PM   #121
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This game rules. Some crazy catches.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:12 PM   #122
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Go B1G
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #123
GrantDawg

That game was fun to watch. The number of times Miller Moss threw an absolute dart with guy smacking the snot out of him was something else. It was strange how with as much as both teams seem to be moving the ball that the score wasn't much higher.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:11 AM   #124
GrantDawg

Old 09-02-2024, 02:24 PM   #125
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That game was fun to watch. The number of times Miller Moss threw an absolute dart with guy smacking the snot out of him was something else. It was strange how with as much as both teams seem to be moving the ball that the score wasn't much higher.

I thought he was phenomenal considering the pressure he was under all night.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:26 PM   #126
GrantDawg

I think last season might have broke FSU's back.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #127
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

If Florida State loses this game, are they going to sue ESPN for making them play on Labor Day?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #128
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

They look slow and it looks like BC stole their playbook.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 08:49 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Twitter bringin' it tonight

they’re about to broadcast florida florida state on pump 3 at a shell station
Old 09-02-2024, 09:13 PM   #130
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Give GA Tech some credit, I think Tech broke their confidence

They do look slow
Old 09-02-2024, 09:20 PM   #131
bronconick
College Starter

Florida-Florida State is going to look like two drunk uncles racing their Cybertrucks
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:04 PM   #132
Edward64
Head Coach

Gators making a QB change.

Quote:
After a dismal showing in their 41-17 season-opening loss to the Miami Hurricanes on Saturday, the Florida Gators are expected to start DJ Lagway at quarterback when the program hosts the Samford Bulldogs. Lagway will replace Graham Mertz under center after Mertz exited last week's game in the third quarter with a concussion.

Lagway saw limited action in his collegiate debut on Saturday, where he completed 3-of-6 pass attempts for 31 yards and ran four times for 20 yards.
As good a time as any with Samford up next.

Quote:
Lagway, who was the No. 1 quarterback and No. 3 overall prospect in the 2024 recruiting cycle, will look to make Samford his first victim after the Bulldogs surrendered 456 total yards, including 271 through the air, in their Week 1 38-29 loss to West Georgia.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:16 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

To be fair though, Mertz hasn't practiced all week, still in protocol.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:18 PM   #134
Atocep
Coordinator

We're getting closer and closer to the destruction of the NCAA as a governing body and schools working under an NIL salary cap, so to speak. It looks like it's going to be a percentage of the average revenue of P4 schools and the players will hire people to audit schools to make sure they aren't misappropriating or disguising money brought in order to keep NIL amounts down.

The NCAA needs reform and an overhaul but putting the power in the hands of the conferences going to be bad for all but a handful of schools. I still don't see how major college sports survive at the level it's currently at by funneling money, power, and influence to such a small number of schools.

What college sports really need is an anti-trust exemption with a commissioner and governing body looking out for the good of the sport(s) rather than the free for all we have that's led to bloated, nonsensical conferences and other bullshit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 07:50 AM   #135
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to how well Hogs perform under Petrino's system against Oklahoma State. Hogs at 7.5 underdogs.

Game is on at the same time at Texas-Michigan so there'll be flipping channels.

I'd like to root for the SEC team but Hogs biggest rival (admittedly one way) was the Longhorns back in the SWC days. And Michigan does have the cool helmets so I'll root for the Wolverines.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-07-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:28 AM   #136
GrantDawg

I will say it again, Haynes King really has that dog in him. He can make some gutsy plays.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:30 AM   #137
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs up 7-0.

I'm feeling pretty decent right now. Hogs offense is humming (QB Green had 2 big runs so far) and we've been doing okay with defense.

Edit: oh yeah, up 14-0 in late 1Q. OSU can't stop our offense right now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-07-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:39 PM   #138
Atocep
Coordinator

How in the hell is Davis Warren the best Michigan has at QB coming off a national title?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 01:45 PM   #139
HerRealName
College Prospect

Are any of us prepared to live in a world where Syracuse makes the playoffs?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 02:07 PM   #140
GrantDawg

Edward, your boys need to tighten up!
Old 09-07-2024, 02:42 PM   #141
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely brutal loss for Cincy. Up 22-6 in the third and lose.
Old 09-07-2024, 02:44 PM   #142
GrantDawg

Tied 31-31, but man did Arkansas try to screw up that hurry up. Some serious clock management problems there.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-07-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 02:50 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Choking incidents are awfully high today
Old 09-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #144
Edward64
Head Coach

Arrggggh. Missed FG in OT.

Edit: and wide right for OSU !!

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-07-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:07 PM   #145
Edward64
Head Coach

Well crap.

Hogs did well, just not good enough
Old 09-07-2024, 03:23 PM   #146
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Well crap.

Hogs did well, just not good enough

Yeah, that's got to hurt. So many chances to win that game.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:35 PM   #147
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Super impressive win for the Horns
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 03:53 PM   #148
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wyoming should've hired an experienced head coach and not promoted that internal guy, though I suspect Bohl made sure his guy got it and Wyoming doesn't like paying top dollar for a coach + prefers someone who won't use them as a stepping stone. But they're going to struggle with someone who can't adapt to the modern game, NIL and doesn't run a player-friend scheme.
Old 09-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #149
HerRealName
College Prospect

El Assico is getting good - Tarcone is missed.

Riley Leonard looks like a totally different player at ND. I don't like how they are using him at all.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 05:28 PM   #150
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Notre Dame receivers just can't get open which should be concerning since NIU should not be able to do this to them.