Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2024, 10:49 PM   #451
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
He badly underthrew 2 possible TDs and it seemed like he just couldn't throw it far enough. The receivers outran his arm.

...but if he had thrown it just 5% farther...
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:53 PM   #452
Drake
assmaster

Also, what does it say about the state of the NFL that I'm more excited about the Bucs/Falcons game next Thursday than I was about the Giants/Cowboys?

Me and Pepperidge Farms are old enough to remember when tonight's game would have seemed like an epic matchup instead of a "football's on; I guess I'll watch it" game.

Edit: I think it might just be the bad influence on this board. There are more Falcons fans here than I've ever met in real, actual life. I feel for you guys.

Last edited by Drake : 09-26-2024 at 10:54 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 11:50 AM   #453
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I feel like Al Michaels's IDGAF style as he ages makes for great television and will be awesome until one game when he says something that causes Amazon to issue a statement the next day that includes the phrases "mutually decided" "regrettable" and "wish Mr. Micahels the best"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 02:37 PM   #454
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I feel like Al Michaels's IDGAF style as he ages makes for great television and will be awesome until one game when he says something that causes Amazon to issue a statement the next day that includes the phrases "mutually decided" "regrettable" and "wish Mr. Micahels the best"

Doesn't seem like he gets along with Kirk, though, and that makes it a little unfun to watch.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 02:55 PM   #455
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I hate that team and they obviously hate each other
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 03:01 PM   #456
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I have to push back on this a bit. How many elite passers the past few seasons have not also had an elite pass catcher? At least to bridge the gap until they can turn those number 2's into 1's.

The Jags (and cousin Baalke) have taken nine players over the past five drafts with either day one or day two picks:

2020: WR Laviska Shenault
2021: QB Trevor Lawrence; RB Travis Etienne; T Walker Little
2022: G Luke Fortner
2023: OL Anton Harrison; TE Brenton Strange; RB Tank Bigsby
2024: WR Brian Thomas

This doesn't even account for Travon Walker first overall in 2022.

You hit on some of those picks a little better with guys that contribute and this looks like a different team.

You are correct. The Jags did not provide Lawrence with an elite pass catcher before he signed his record breaking contract.

Just because his name was brought up earlier, let's see what Daniel Jones has had to work with since the year before he was drafted in 2019.

2018: RB Saquon Barkley; G Will Hernandez
2019: QB Daniel Jones
2020: T Andrew Thomas; T Matt Peart
2021: WR Kadarius Toney
2022: WR Wan'dale Robinson; OL Joshua Ezeudu
2023: C John Michael Schmitz; WR Jalin Hyatt
2024: WR Malik Nabers

So where is the benefit of the doubt as far as being an elite passer who just needs his team to hit on some picks and everything would be different for Jones given the numbers both have put up?

My point is not to say that Lawrence is a bust or Jones is a future HOFer. It is not to say that either the Giants or the Jaguars have done right by either QB. Both organizations have done little to help their young QBs to this point. My point is it makes no sense to me that Lawrence can escape criticisms and threats of benchings for his performances due to the Jags front office, poor coaching and/or a lack of talent around him but a guy like Daniel Jones can't use an equally bad front office, equally bad coaching and equally poor talent around him over a longer period to excuse his poor performances.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 03:18 PM   #457
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They paid a bunch of money to bring in Zay Jones, Ridley, Engram, and Kirk. They've invested heavily in the draft on offensive line. Not saying he has a great supporting cast but if you're the #1 pick in the draft, you shouldn't need Justin Jefferson on your roster to look competent.

Coaching and front office deserve blame but he's also looked pretty bad reading defenses and being inaccurate on easy throws.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #458
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Falcons run defense is as soft as Charmin.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #459
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Vikings appear legit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #460
Ksyrup

Eagles coach gonna get fired.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #461
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Falcons run defense is as soft as Charmin.

Maybe. But I love those throwback uniforms. Love them! Reminds me of Steve Bartkowski and Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #462
Ksyrup

Tyler Badie of Denver is having some sort of medical emergency on the sideline. Uncertain if it's related to the last hit he took on the field.
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #463
Ksyrup

Also Bo Nix is 5 for 10 for -9 yards. No sacks, that's his passing yards.
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #464
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sam Darnold for President
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #465
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Flacco for VP
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #466
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Maybe. But I love those throwback uniforms. Love them! Reminds me of Steve Bartkowski and Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.
Not alone. I wish they always wore the red helmets.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Today at 02:23 PM.
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #467
GrantDawg

Football this weekend is going to give me an ulcer.
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #468
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't know why Carolina called for that fancy fake punt play. All they needed to do was run the ball through the bengals terrible D. So stupid
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #469
GrantDawg

God. I don't know how they pulled that out, but Falcons win.
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #470
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Bears remain undefeated at home. Some struggles on offense early, which led to the fans booing Williams after a three-and-out, but he seems to be doing OK as a rookie despite the fact that they could certainly use a couple of good offensive linemen.

A lot is made of the long-term futility of quarterbacking in Chicago. I often wonder how much responsibility rests on the shoulders of that fan base. It's a miserable place to be a quarterback.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #471
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
God. I don't know how they pulled that out, but Falcons win.

Congrats dawg great for u
Old Today, 03:38 PM   #472
Ksyrup

I know kickers are better than ever, but the number of teams settling for 50+ yard FGs in crucial situations is insane. The Falcons not trying to get another 5-15 yards and taking long shots down the field to settle for a 58 yard FG from a guy whose career long is 54 in a building where the longest FG ever kicked was 57 is crazy. It worked, but that doesn't excuse the process.

Same thing in the Denver/NYJ game. It's raining and miserable, and Denver has Nix run a QB keeper and slide down 2-3 yards backwards to settle for a 50 yarder to try to make it a 4 point game - miss. NYJ get to a 50 yard FG to win - miss. Those guys might be automatic in perfect conditions, but that's not today.

Last edited by Ksyrup : Today at 03:38 PM.
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #473
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The Bears remain undefeated at home. Some struggles on offense early, which led to the fans booing Williams after a three-and-out, but he seems to be doing OK as a rookie despite the fact that they could certainly use a couple of good offensive linemen.

A lot is made of the long-term futility of quarterbacking in Chicago. I often wonder how much responsibility rests on the shoulders of that fan base. It's a miserable place to be a quarterback.

A lot of Bears fans are so used to failure and futility they don't recognize small successes right in front of them. Poles has done a solid job rebuilding the roster, increased the overall talent level, and rebuilt the front office into a modern, analytical front office. No small feat considering the situation when he came in. Many Bears fans think he's terrible though.

Williams looks like a solid rookie QB with a high ceiling. This looked like the first week Waldron scaled the offense back a little and just asked Caleb to manager the game, which he did.

The line needs 2, probably 3 new starters since Tevin Jenkins can't stay healthy. Pryor in place of Nate Davis at least improved the run blocking considerably.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:46 PM   #474
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Does the Maye era begin after the next kickoff? Or does Mayo accept this is going to be a long season and stick to his guns about keeping Maye on the sidelines while he learns?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #475
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tyler Badie of Denver is having some sort of medical emergency on the sideline. Uncertain if it's related to the last hit he took on the field.

Obv the jab affecting him, an otherwise healthy adult.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #476
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Not alone. I wish they always wore the red helmets.

Me too. And ditch the modern Falcon logo. The old one is a classic.
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #477
GrantDawg

Quote:
I know kickers are better than ever, but the number of teams settling for 50+ yard FGs in crucial situations is insane. The Falcons not trying to get another 5-15 yards and taking long shots down the field to settle for a 58 yard FG from a guy whose career long is 54 in a building where the longest FG ever kicked was 57 is crazy. It worked, but that doesn't excuse the process.

Same thing in the Denver/NYJ game. It's raining and miserable, and Denver has Nix run a QB keeper and slide down 2-3 yards backwards to settle for a 50 yarder to try to make it a 4 point game - miss. NYJ get to a 50 yard FG to win - miss. Those guys might be automatic in perfect conditions, but that's not today.
It made no sense to me. Why on earth were they swinging for the fences instead of just trying to pick up a few yards to help him out? It worked out, but it very easily couldn't have.
Old Today, 05:28 PM   #478
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Raiders don't have a Single received I'm impressed with but it seems everyone on the team is good at running. Their d is Good too
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #479
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That holding call probably decide the game
Old Today, 06:10 PM   #480
Danny
Head Coach

Dont worry Raiders will still find a way to lose
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:18 PM   #481