Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old Today, 09:37 AM   #2701
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Starting day 10 without power and I think I'm getting a little annoyed. Finally saw our daughter for the first time in 5 days since she went to her grandparents once they got power.

I've been thinking, what incentive does Duke Energy actually have to push to restore power quickly? Bad PR doesn't matter, they're a government authorized monopoly. We literally can't use anyone else.

There's currently 70k in my area without power. The average cost per day for power usage at each home is about $6 or $7. That means they're losing about $500k per day. Expedited repair efforts in an emergency are at least 2-3x that every day. There's literally no financial incentives for the higher ups to allocate more than the bare minimum of resources to keep things profitable.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #2702
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
sure looking increasingly likely that Milton is going to look for his red stapler in the Tampa area
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #2703
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Starting day 10 without power and I think I'm getting a little annoyed. Finally saw our daughter for the first time in 5 days since she went to her grandparents once they got power.

I've been thinking, what incentive does Duke Energy actually have to push to restore power quickly? Bad PR doesn't matter, they're a government authorized monopoly. We literally can't use anyone else.

There's currently 70k in my area without power. The average cost per day for power usage at each home is about $6 or $7. That means they're losing about $500k per day. Expedited repair efforts in an emergency are at least 2-3x that every day. There's literally no financial incentives for the higher ups to allocate more than the bare minimum of resources to keep things profitable.

Man, that really sucks. When Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, my boss was without power for nearly two weeks at his place in Tomball. And that was with crews that are used to dealing with power restoration after a storm. I can only imagine the troubles these linemen are having in areas that don't get storms like this. Sending good thoughts that the power situation is alleviated soon.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #2704
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Someone is going to end up getting killed over this foolishness.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Today at 03:12 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote