Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old Today, 02:12 PM   #5051
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
If Get Out The Vote efforts matter, Kamala is going to win and fairly easily. Republicans have no ground game compared to Dems or compared to what they had in 2016 and 2020.

It's been one of the many weird things in this election. The Trump campaign has generally been hurting for money so bad that they haven't built up any ground game at all. What ground game they do have they've handed over to their PACs, like Elon, and those groups are mostly focused on rural areas and making sure those people vote rather than hitting more densely populated areas.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #5052
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

*If* get out the vote efforts matter.

One of the crazy things, I think, is that we spend literal billions on presidential campaigns, and I think we still don't have a great idea of what works and what does not. Where is the best ROI?

How much do candidate in-person rallies matter?
How much does tacking to the middle matter?
How much does consolidating the base matter?
How much does TV advertising matter?
How much do get out the vote boots on the ground matter?
How much does encouraging early voting matter?
How much do yard signs matter?

We don't have a huge sample size--these things happen once every four years. And eleventy-billion variables exist. And the people who tend to do the analysis and post-mortems tend to be insiders who want a certain thing to be true. (If I am a politial consultant who focuses on selling TV ads, it is not hard to guess what my analysis will show vis a vis the importance of ads vs. get-out-the vote)

It seems like if McDonalds had a billion-dollar product launch, they'd know to the second decimal place where the best ROI of their marketing spending would come from.

But with campaigns? Somehow, it is still just "we've decided to focus on X" based on gut feelings.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #5053
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't at all buy that Harris is better than 2020 version of Biden. There's a part of me that wants Biden to go on an I Told You So tour if Harris doesn't win.
Why? He was losing. Polls where bad and going the wrong way for him. There is no way he could handle the campaign schedule she as had, and the more he did interviews and puts himself out, the worse it would have been. He is not the Biden of 2020, we are not in the same situation as a country we were in 2020, and if Biden had stayed in all we would be doing is preparing for a Trump presidency.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #5054
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, while I agree Harris is not as good a candidate as Biden 2020, this is 2024 and she is miles ahead of Biden 2024 as a candidate. Even if she handily lost, there would be no basis for Biden to go on a "you all should eat crow" tour. If Harris loses, it just means Biden would have been trounced.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #5055
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's been one of the many weird things in this election. The Trump campaign has generally been hurting for money so bad that they haven't built up any ground game at all. What ground game they do have they've handed over to their PACs, like Elon, and those groups are mostly focused on rural areas and making sure those people vote rather than hitting more densely populated areas.

And those PAC's may not be up to the task:

Exclusive: Trump ground game in key states flagged as potentially fake | Donald Trump | The Guardian
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #5056
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, while I agree Harris is not as good a candidate as Biden 2020, this is 2024 and she is miles ahead of Biden 2024 as a candidate. Even if she handily lost, there would be no basis for Biden to go on a "you all should eat crow" tour. If Harris loses, it just means Biden would have been trounced.

If Harris loses, Biden should bear much of the blame. Had he done the right thing and announced early in his presidency that he wouldn't be running for a second term, the Democratic party would have had a full primary season for a candidate to secure the nomination.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #5057
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK Biden, yes, but really a very broad array of the Democratic establishment. The Democratic party needs root-and-branch reform regardless of whether Harris wins or not, but if she loses it really needs to be comprehensive.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:20 PM   #5058
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The Republican party needs root-and-branch reform regardless of whether Trump wins or not, but if he loses it really needs to be comprehensive.
fixed

Old Today, 05:52 PM   #5059
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
If Harris loses, Biden should bear much of the blame. Had he done the right thing and announced early in his presidency that he wouldn't be running for a second term, the Democratic party would have had a full primary season for a candidate to secure the nomination.

That is completely backwards.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #5060
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
OK Biden, yes, but really a very broad array of the Democratic establishment. The Democratic party needs root-and-branch reform regardless of whether Harris wins or not, but if she loses it really needs to be comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
fixed

And you are both right
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #5061
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

They've needed it badly since losing in 2016, but they're so focused on fighting off MAGA (Tbf, does need to be done) to sit down and have the debate. And the Republican Party as is should probably be tossed out and replaced by a conservative party that isn't hooked on white nationalism and strongman worship.

Last edited by bronconick : Today at 06:19 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:33 PM   #5062
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This focus on 'fix the party' will never cease to amaze me. The parties mostly are what they are because people want them to be that. Most Republicans want Trumpism, rather than a sane conservative party. Similar things to a somewhat lesser degree are true of Democrats.

You have to fix the people first before you can try to fix the party.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote