Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Used Cpu Fan

I bought a Volcano 7 fan off the internet for 10 bucks used. Which is a pretty good deal considering a new one was 30. The fan arrives today, however there is some black stuff on the copper insert. It looks like a heat-transfer pad. Also the copper is a bit tarnished. Would it be okay to use some jewelry cleaner on the item to remove the tarnish? Also, is there an easy way to remove the paste from the copper without scratching it up?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Sloan
High School JV

Paint thinner usually takes the stuff off pretty easily.
Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Did it come in the original box?

If so, take it to a store and return it as "defective" for a new one.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
Airhog
Captain Obvious

well, I couldnt find any paint thinner, so I just used a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. it worked okay I guess, but it did take some elbow grease to get it t oo come off. The good news is that this fan doesnt have an annoying whine like my old fan. But even better is the fact that It lowered my temprature by about 10 degrees celcius to close to 47degs. Really a big plus there.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Did it come in the original box?

If so, take it to a store and return it as "defective" for a new one.

I believe that would be, like, illegal or something.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
But even better is the fact that It lowered my temprature by about 10 degrees celcius to close to 47degs. Really a big plus there.

Shit, it was running at 135 degrees and now its running 117 degrees farenheit... How have you not fried your computer? mine's running at 69.6 degrees farenheit, and my old computer that didn't ave a working fan never got above 80 degrees farenheit.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I believe that would be, like, illegal or something.

My girlfriend does shit like that all the time. She needed to hang some shelves in her apartment but didn't have a drill, so she went to Walmart and bought one. As soon as she was done with it she returned it back to them. They don't ask any questions, so it's easy as hell to do.

My sister used to work at the shoe store in the PX when we lived in Germany. Apparently they had a policy there that they had to take back shoes that people returned, no matter their condition. Well, one day a guy tried to return some shoes that had obviously been worn for months. My sister didn't want to accept them, so she got her manager. Well, her manager went and accepted the shoes and exchanged them for some new shoes. One of the most idiotic rules that I had ever heard...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Shit, it was running at 135 degrees and now its running 117 degrees farenheit... How have you not fried your computer? mine's running at 69.6 degrees farenheit, and my old computer that didn't ave a working fan never got above 80 degrees farenheit.

The Athlon xp series of processors from 1400+ upto 1800+ run extremely warm. They are actually rated for upto 90deg celcius. From what I have read, 50deg celcius is a pretty good number, anything over 60-65 is a cause for concern. I used to have to run my computer without a side panel just to give it plenty of cool air.

What speed is your computer? Amd chips run a bit hotter than pentiums, but a fast chip is going to need a bulky fan or run the risk of frying. I find it hard to believe that a modern chip would run close to room temprature without a working fan.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

More than likely the difference between AMD and Intel. AMD tends to run a lot hotter. I have a video somewhere of a gun running quake3 and then taking off the fan/heatsink of the cpu, with the monitor there in the background showing the game going. The p4 KEPT RUNNING, with a touch slowdown. A P3, ran for a little bit, then started crawling, then froze up, but the cpu looked to be in good condition still. Then the AMD chips....the Athlon 1.4 immediately locked up and then started smoking, frying the chip and motherboard. then a 1.0 athlon was tested and it immediately locked up, and started smoking, taking out the cpu completely with the mobo still okay. Amazing stuff.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
Tasan
College Starter

Dola. They also fired a temp gun at the chips without the fans. Both intel chips stayed under 120 degress F I believe, while both amds went over 500
Old 01-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
Airhog
Captain Obvious

thats very wierd. I could have swore seeing an article on tomshardware when i was researching a case fan, that talked about both p4's and athlons burning up pretty much instantanious without a fan and heatsink, but maybe it was just about athlons. I know that p4's run cooler I just didnt think they ran that much cooler.