Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

St John's players accused of rape

So is it now a new hazing ritual that college athletes have to rape someone to be part of the team? Is this to be called the Kobe legacy? Should we start a pool guessing when the next incident of a college athlete accused of rape will occur?

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Three St. John's basketball players were suspended from the team Thursday, hours after a woman told police she was raped in a hotel by men she met in a strip club.

The school said leading scorer Elijah Ingram, a sophomore, and seniors Abraham Keita and Grady Reynolds were taken off the team.

"Although no charges have been filed by the police, based on the facts we have confirmed, the University has immediately suspended three players from the team for violation of team rules and behavior inconsistent with St. John's mission and values," the school said in a statement.

The players could not immediately be located for comment.

According to police, several players went to a club after a 71-51 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

The woman told police she met the players around 2:30 a.m. Thursday, then went with them to a hotel in downtown Pittsburgh, where she told police she was raped.

Police did not identify the players accused but said they were interviewed and then released.

St. John's is 5-14. Interim coach Kevin Clark replaced Mike Jarvis on Dec. 19.

Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Celeval
Pro Starter

Doesn't look like this one's on the up-and-up...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

PITTSBURGH (CNN) -- Police in Pittsburgh late Thursday filed charges against a woman who claimed that several members of the St. John's University basketball team raped her, a police commander said.

Sherri Ann Urbanek-Bach, 38, of Astoria, N.Y., was charged Thursday night, hours after she claimed she was raped in a hotel by players she met in a strip club after the team's 71-51 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night, Pittsburgh police said.

"The extensive investigation conducted by sex assault detectives resulted in charges being filed against the alleged victim in this case," said a statement from the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
So is it now a new hazing ritual that college athletes have to rape someone to be part of the team? Is this to be called the Kobe legacy? Should we start a pool guessing when the next incident of a college athlete accused of rape will occur?

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Three St. John's basketball players were suspended from the team Thursday, hours after a woman told police she was raped in a hotel by men she met in a strip club.

The school said leading scorer Elijah Ingram, a sophomore, and seniors Abraham Keita and Grady Reynolds were taken off the team.

"Although no charges have been filed by the police, based on the facts we have confirmed, the University has immediately suspended three players from the team for violation of team rules and behavior inconsistent with St. John's mission and values," the school said in a statement.

The players could not immediately be located for comment.

According to police, several players went to a club after a 71-51 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

The woman told police she met the players around 2:30 a.m. Thursday, then went with them to a hotel in downtown Pittsburgh, where she told police she was raped.

Police did not identify the players accused but said they were interviewed and then released.

St. John's is 5-14. Interim coach Kevin Clark replaced Mike Jarvis on Dec. 19.

How about a pool on the next incident of false accusations will happen?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Is this a chance of the women to try to advantage of the situation that is going on with Kobe and Colorado?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:24 AM   #5
Tigercat
College Starter

And you know, its a fucking shame. I am skeptical of the Kobe case, based on what little I have heard, but I really don't ever want to be skeptical of any woman claiming to have been raped. My best friend was raped, and having seen how its affected her life, I am not one to take it lightly. Any woman who ever ever ever claims rape, when she fully knows that she wasn't, should be required to donate time, money, and effort to groups that help women who have been sexually assaulted. And if there is a God, God help the woman who uses the word rape for personal gain on the back of those who have lived through the horror of having it happen to them.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
And you know, its a fucking shame. I am skeptical of the Kobe case, based on what little I have heard, but I really don't ever want to be skeptical of any woman claiming to have been raped. My best friend was raped, and having seen how its affected her life, I am not one to take it lightly. Any woman who ever ever ever claims rape, when she fully knows that she wasn't, should be required to donate time, money, and effort to groups that help women who have been sexually assaulted. And if there is a God, God help the woman who uses the word rape for personal gain on the back of those who have lived through the horror of having it happen to them.

Nice, tigercat, I agree wholeheartedly. Women like this make it so hard for people to get legitimate rape convictions.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
Hoya1
High School JV

I've now heard that she made it all up. I think I saw that on ESPN's site.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

When St. John's tips off with Boston College this weekend, they will do it with only 4 scholarship players.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well said
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

The chick in question made the rape up, but something certainly happened for players to get kicked out of school. From what I understand the players gave this woman some consensual group love and recorded it on a picture cell phone. I think she basically was a stripper/hooker and the school was none too pleased its players were even involved to this length. SUre it was a set up, but the fact is these guys put themselves in that position to begin with. Certainly not as bad as rape, but bad judgement. Meanwhile we're seeing these cases come out of the woodwork. Getting pretty damn ridiculous at this point.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:47 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

The players were suspended for breaking curfew
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:11 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

But then you have cased like this one (hxxp://www.spectatornews.com/news/2004/01/29/Editorialopinion/Strange.Justice-591630.shtml) where you get people going out of their way to protect someone just so they can play basketball.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote