Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs up OT: Gonzaga article on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=1748453

This is a great article about the best mid-major program of my lifetime. They are what every mid-major school (including my alma mater of the Horizon League, Wright State) aspires to be. I think it'd be really great if Gonzaga could make it to the Final Four this year. This year is one of their best chances ever, with not too many dominant teams in the field. Fellow mid-major fans, let's cheer the 'Zags to their first ever Final Four appearance. GO ZAGS!!!

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

This is by far the deepest and most talented of the Gonzaga teams. The only thing that could hurt them is the fact that they really struggle against teams with athletic guards, they just don't have many players that can guard them. Errol Knight is the only athletic perimeter defender on the team. Derek Raivio and Adam Morrison are already 2 of my favorite college players, and the great thing is there is no doubt we'll get to see them play 4 years. They are the most entertaining team to watch, and Morrison has that Larry Bird awkwardness to him that any true basketball fan has to love.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Ya gotta love the Bulldogs. Now lets hope the committee doesn't hand them an 8 seed. At number 4 in the land you'd think they'd have a shot at a 1 seed, but I can't see the committee doing that. They are easilly among the elite programs in the land, but always get short shrift when it comes time to hand out seeds.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 03-04-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I worry about smaller, quicker guards (I attend GU), but the Zags do have Skinner and Knight who both match up well against bigger athletic guards. Stepp isn't bad either. It's just those pesky little ones that are the problem.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

They are a good team, but their RPI is a 7 and their SOS is a 68. that SOS is what will knock them down a couple of seeds to a 3 or 4. I imagine their RPI will fall a bit when they play the other teamsin their conference tournament. They also don't have any wins against the RPI top 25, although they do have 3 wins against #26-50. No bad losses either. So I think a 2-4 seed would be fair if the season ended right now.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

What helped Gonzaga a lot is the fact that they are better then the two major state schools in this sport and were able to take recruits from a fairly decent HS Hoops state.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:02 AM   #7
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I think their ability to outrecruit the other state schools is more of a recent thing. They've been able to pull several talented players out of the Spokane area in the last couple years. You'll see it the most looking at the freshmen. Sean Mallon was rated one of the top forwards on the west coast by Rivals I think. I believe Adam Morrison was rated highly as well. I don't think either of them really looked too hard at other schools. Another name to watch for out of this area is Josh Heytvelt. Washington wanted him bad and one of their assistants got in trouble for contacting him during one of the quiet periods.

Looking at the rest of the roster, the main ones that stick out are Blake Stepp and Errol Knight. I remember hearing that Stepp had interest from teams in the Pac 10 but Gonzaga was able to get him to commit. Erroll Knight started out at Washington for a year but then decided to transfer. It was rumored that there were too many distractions for him going to school close to home. I could be wrong on some of the others but I'd say that most of them were great finds. Ronny Turiaf was their second choice as a big man from Europe after their first choice had eligibility issues.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

They do well as underdogs and terrible as favorites in the NCAA tournament. I predict a top 3 seed and no farthur than the round of 32.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

I LOVE watching Gonzaga play Basketball. They are so fluid when they run their offense, it's a thing of beauty...

I don't think they should get anything less than a 3 seed. their only losses were to the two undefeated teams, and those losses were only by 7 points each...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Knowing the jerkfaces on the committee, they'll probably get a 4/5 seed. I'll put my $$$ on a #4 seed, which is ridiculous. They should be at least a #3 seed and probably a #2 seed.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote