Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

What did Jim Nance script?

I just moved into my new home and still do not have directTV or broadband internet because of the location. (long story - but it is coming) but I was wondering:

Jim Nance has a rep for scripting big moments in sports - no more than college Bball games and big golf events. I was wondering what he ended up saying as UConn ran out the clock to win it?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Some long-winded crap about Jim Calhoun, and then, the wince-generating:

"The Mecca (Emeka Okafor, get it? ) of college basketball is in Connecticut." Of course, saying this right as they roll tape of Okafor celebrating.

Last edited by Butter : 04-06-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Senator

good lord.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 04-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Sports Guy's running diary of the game picked up on something I heard from Nance, as well, which was his comment (to the effect of) "some have suggested that the battle between Okafor and Schenscher is as good as any in the championship game since Olajuwon and Ewing" - which was so ridiculous, it even prompted Billy Packer to say, "I wouldn't even attempt to go there."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
timmae
College Starter

I was watching the game off and on throughout the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half and then I just simply had to turn it off. Nance got to the point of being so irritating it was painful. Packer didn't help by handing the game to Connecticut with over 12 minutes to play. Those guys were weurful last night.
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

UConn hadn't trailed as of the first commercial break, so Nance went with "The Huskies have determined the dress code so far...No Jackets, No Ties"
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
UConn hadn't trailed as of the first commercial break, so Nance went with "The Huskies have determined the dress code so far...No Jackets, No Ties"

Damn, you beat me to it. I commented on that rather loudly at the time, something to the effect that I wondered how long he'd been waiting to use that line.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

I am a bit ashamed. I thought it was clever.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It might have been, if it didn't come off as having been crafted after the first weekend of the tournament.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The 2004 Chevy Chase and Nance are neck and neck...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #11
Senator

He has more one line writers than Bob Hope ever did.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
Buzzbee
College Starter

Yeah, quantity vs. quality
Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

While watching last night's game, I was overwhelmed by the lackluster performance from Nantz and Packer. Packer's been going downhill for the last few years and I think he's finally reached the point where CBS needs to send him out to pasture. He's St. Joes Meltdown is just one example. But I thought last night was overly scripted and delivered with no emotion. Sure, it was a boring game, but the mark of a good broadcaster is the ability to entertain even during a boring game. The game was boring enough, but these two were worse than the game.

I also thought that overall CBS' production values were down this year for the entire tournament. I can't tell you how many times I saw CBS cut from one game to another only to cut to the other game as it as heading to commercial or stepped all over out-cues. Small things like that probably don't bother most people, but they drive me crazy.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

Next time I hear Packer (or anybody) for that matter say "did he call it?" on a long jumpshot that banks in off the glass, I'm going to cut out their tongue.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Packer's been going downhill for the last few years and I think he's finally reached the point where CBS needs to send him out to pasture.

You mean kinda like Dick Enberg?
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #16
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Dick Enberg's essays are absolutely woeful. Here's a guy trying to come up with some pseudo-intellectual piece of art that the producers think will tug on people's emotions. The only thing his essay's tug is my finger toward the change the channel button. I'd almost rather watch figure skating than hear Dick's strains.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Huckleberry
College Starter

What were better Center matchups in the championship game since Olajuwon/Ewing?

Just curious.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #18
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Carlos Boozer/Loren Wood?
Jake Voskuhl/Elton Brand?
Michael Doleac/Nazr Mohammed?
Juwan Howard/Eric Montross?
Juwan Howard/Christian Laettner?
Dean Garrett/Rony Seikaly?
Pervis Ellison/Jay Bilas?