Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
druez
Banned

Personal Ethics and Reviewing / Gaming

With Skydogs permission, he said I could start a new thread.

I've been doing reviews for about 2 years now I think. I like playing games as most of you do and I don't mind giving my opinion on things. I've always held myself as a know-it-all and I don't mind getting ripped for my opinions or arguing. "I’m polish ok? "

Anyway, Sometime around September I asked to write previews and reviews of FOF and TPF and I contacted both companies. Jim said no on the preview because release was almost here, but he said I could write a review but asked me if I was part of the marketing crush of .400. I answered no and at the time I wasn't at all.

I entered into the beta test right before I did my review for FOF. I gave FOF a good review and I liked the product again, my biggest problem being bland graphics "in my opinion" but touted everything else highly. I then became more involved with TPF and Joe Stallings. Joe start feeding me rhetoric about how much this board was anti .400 and I bought into it hook line and sinker. He asked me to post things putting down this board and Skydog personally. Well, you all remember the Skydog is a dictator thread don't you?

Anyway, I thought [i] being the dumbass I am, /[i] that is was the right thing to do and you guys meaning the vast majority of FOFC were against .400 for trying to do things differently. I was banned as you all recall. Then TPF was released and I wrote my review of the product, "I based it on what the game could become rather then what it was at the time" I allowed my personal feelings towards the company influence my review of the product. I still stand by the review for what the game is today, but at the time it was to high.

Anyway, so me looking at Skydog as the enemy I entered into a huge flame war with him on the .400 forum and Jim and FOF were dragged into it. I was cutting and pasting things Joe wanted to say in my posts and started pointing out the bugs of FOF to defend TPF. YES IT WAS UNETHICAL OF ME TO DO THIS and I WAS WRONG. I choose my personal friendship with Joe over my ethical morals.

After people on this forum who liked my past reviews questioned my integrity, I at first fought with them, "yabanci for example" and simply didn't want to except the truth about myself and that I fucked up. Well, I wrote Skydog a letter and asked to be let back in and apologized for the way I treated him. Every time someone here wrote something negative about .400 or Joe, he would tell me and I would come here to argue for him. Yes, go ahead say it again, I'm a dumbass.

Anyway, there are many more details that I'm not going into right now, I just want to focus on the ethics involved on these various things and admit I was wrong publicly and apologize to Skydog, Jim and the rest for my past transgressions. I asked HR to review FBCB and I was excited about it. It’s a great game and I loved it. Well, I was discussing this with Joe and told him I liked quite a few things more then TDCB. He said and I quote, "rip his game, say its ok to play but its real amateurish". I said no, I'm not doing that. Arguing on a forum is one thing, but taking a review that is quassi professional and ripping a person’s livelihood is another. I gave FOF a good review as you may recall, but I argued on the boards about it, for some reason to me that seemed ok at the time. To make matters worse he then asked me about OOTP constantly while he was still working with Shaun on Total Pro Baseball. He wanted release dates and private information. I told him over and over again that I signed an NDA and I won’t break it. I finally said “No Joe, I'm not going to give you that crap and I didn’t talk to him since” I came to realize that my personal integrity is much more important then having someone for a friend that just uses you for their own personal gains.

I bring this up now because I couldn't stand to see Joe sit there and gloat knowing what I know about him. There were people patting him on the back for nice screens when they are ripped from the net from others hard work, anyone remember Joe's Diablo/.400 website a while back? There is a word for things like this in the animal world, its called a parasite?

Well they say, “The truth will set you free”. You guys might rip me or flame me, but I think I'm doing the right thing and coming clean. Carry on with the flames or rips of me, I just thought you all might want to know and if you didn't go read another topic

Jason

Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Umm.. no offense Jason, but I don't believe one word in three.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

Hey thats ok Fozzie, I didn't expect everyone to believe me. Maybe noone will, I did what I felt was right. Think about this though, I have way to much knownledge of Joe and what he does for this all to be made up don't you think?

Last edited by druez : 04-13-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
John Galt
Pro Starter

I'd be curious to see any documenation for any of your allegations about Joe and .400.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Drake
assmaster

I'm glad Markus went solo again.

Last edited by Drake : 04-13-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I'd be curious to see any documenation for any of your allegations about Joe and .400.

Such as what chat transcripts or emails? This isn't against .400 at all. No other members of that company had any clue what I was doing. This was between me and Joe. I have chats and emails? I didn't record all my phone conversations, why would i?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I reserve the right to form an opinion at a later date/time.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I hope you can back up your allegations, Druez. That being said, I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from .400 software studios which right or wrong makes me less likely to buy their games (I'd still buy one of their games if I felt it was clearly better then the alternatives in that sport.)
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

You know, I knew writing this makes me look as bad or worse then Joe but I'm ok with that. Its no fun living a lie.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I hope you can back up your allegations, Druez. That being said, I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from .400 software studios which right or wrong makes me less likely to buy their games (I'd still buy one of their games if I felt it was clearly better then the alternatives in that sport.)

Absolutely Eaglesfan
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

The ethical thing to do would be to resign from your game reviewing job, as you claim you were compromised while performing it. If your post is true, you cannot in good faith continue performing that role. If your post is false, you've irreversibly damaged your credibility.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

I am disappointed SkyDog let you post something like this...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, I respect you for trying to patch things up over here. People don't often admit when they are wrong on message board, mostly because there isn't a need to.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #14
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
The ethical thing to do would be to resign from your game reviewing job, as you claim you were compromised while performing it. If your post is true, you cannot in good faith continue performing that role. If your post is false, you've irreversibly damaged your credibility.

Aye, I said that today to myself before I started all this. I knew I had written my last review. I'm finishing a preview for Markus OOTP 6.0 and it will be up to him if I post it. I should of never gotten involved with the people who make the games, it makes it way to hard to be objectonable.

It is alot easier to write reviews of Sega Sports games or EA Sports games etc.. Its faceless, but this community is so passoinate about the products, I just didn't have the ability such as Bill Abner does to seperate the product from the people.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:53 AM   #15
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

Why subby? He let me post all the bad things I had to say about products and people before? Why shouldn't he let me try and make it right?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #16
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Well, I respect you for trying to patch things up over here.

I second that. Welcome back, Jason.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #17
Angie
n00b

You can all believe what you will about Joe and about this situation - I'm married to him and I think he's a great guy. It's only human for a man to try and defend himself when attacked so maliciously in a public forum, but you won't be hearing anything else from us on the advice of our attorney until all of this is properly and legally resolved.

Ben - please don't allow a complete character assasination on the forum even though it may rival 'Playmakers' for drama.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM   #18
StormcloudCreations
Uniter of Men

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
Aye, I said that today to myself before I started all this. I knew I had written my last review. I'm finishing a preview for Markus OOTP 6.0 and it will be up to him if I post it. I should of never gotten involved with the people who make the games, it makes it way to hard to be objectonable.

It is alot easier to write reviews of Sega Sports games or EA Sports games etc.. Its faceless, but this community is so passoinate about the products, I just didn't have the ability such as Bill Abner does to seperate the product from the people.

Yep...writing this and admitting it prevents you from doing that job any longer. It's a common failing though; I know after hearing about this thing, if even an a single ounce of it proves true, i'll be much less likely to buy a .400 product again.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #19
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think that if you let personal feelings influence professional matters then you were wrong and did a very bad thing.

As far as Joe goes, I reserve my judgment til I know more facts.

Having gone through certain stuff, I certainly know that things aren't always as they appear from gaming companies. I certainly wouldn't harbor bad feelings against .400 even if this were all true, just Joe.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

I agree. If the other thread was locked, why allow this one, particularly when it became clear that Joe was going to let his attorney do the talking from that point forward? What you've got now is a one-sided recitation of facts with no rebuttal, other than from a few people who know so little about this situation that their opinions don't matter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The thing is..

I've spent quite a few hours talking to Joe and Arlie. This would be COMPLETELY opposite what I know of them. That's why I find this very hard to believe, Jason. Your comments are just to incredulous to be believed.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

For those who are wondering why I allowed this, I made the decision to close the other thread after asking Joe if he had said all he wanted to say, but I didn't extend that same courtesy to Jason. That wasn't fair to him. Now that he has said his piece in the matter, the thread is closed, and there's no need for this to be a public discussion any longer. If any of you want to PM Jason or Joe about any of this, you can of course feel free to do so.

Sorry this all went down this way.

--Ben