Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2004, 01:19 AM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Holy S$%T

Someone just fired a gun outside my dorm window about 10 minutes ago. I hit the ground like a little fat kid goes after dropped choclate. I have no idea what is going on. I think they are putting the dorm in "lock down" mode. I am afraid to look out my window.

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
Danny
Head Coach

Well, hopefully all is cleared up and no one got hurt.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I have no clue. I have not heard any sirens or anything.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
Danny
Head Coach

What college are you attending?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Another one was just fired like 4 minutes ago...

Delta State Univeristy in Cleveland, MS.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
vex
Grizzled Veteran

update?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I finally looked out my window and there is nothing going on out there. I figure it must be in the other dorms back over on the other side of mine. I have not heard anyone coming in and out of my dorm and I usually here several people coming in and out this time of the night.

At first I thought it was suicide, but the two gun shots (which I think are from the same gun) probably rule that out. I am not sure if there is a standoff or what going on. The gunshot was not particulary loud. It sounded like it may have been a handgun, but it was not a shotgun or a rifle.

I would think if there was something going on, they would evacuate my dorm, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 05-03-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I finally looked out my window and there is nothing going on out there. I figure it must be in the other dorms back over on the other side of mine. I have not heard anyone comin in and out of my dorm and I usually here several people coming in and out this time of the night.

At first I thought it was suicide, but the two gun shots (which I think are from the same gun) probably rule that. I am not sure if there is a standoff or what going on. The gunshot was not particulary loud. It sounded like it may have been a handgun, but it was not a shotgun or a rifle.

I would think if there was something going on, they would evacuate my dorm, but I could be wrong.

Have you called security and locked your door and hidden in your closet and covered yourself with a blanket and 20 pounds of clothes and held your breath? Thats what i would do.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-03-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

That, or the guy who would normally evacuate the dorm is executing the people on his floor, one at a time. The RAs are crazy, you know.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 AM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
That, or the guy who would normally evacuate the dorm is executing the people on his floor, one at a time. The RAs are crazy, you know.

LOL
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #11
TLK
Pro Starter

so how about that CFL file?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #12
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Have you called security and locked your door and hidden in your closet and covered yourself with a blanket and 20 pounds of cloths and held your breath? Thats what i would do.

The first thing I did was crawl over and lock my door. I figured if some crazed gunman entered the dorm he was not coming to my room. The thing is my dorm is upstairs but it the first one he would come to.

I did not call security. At first I thought it may have been a car backfiring but there is no really roads too close and I heard the hall director talking about someone shooting a gun.

There is people stirring in my hall and I hear people coming up and down the stairs. I figured that would shut the big security door in the hall but they did not (or at least I do not think they did). No one is out and talking though which probably means everyone is scared shitless.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 05-03-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:46 AM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Th first thing I did was crawl over and lock my door. I figured if some crazed gunman entered the dorm he was not coming to my room. The thing is my dorm is upstaris but it the first one he would come to.

I did not call security. At first I thought it may have been a car backfiring but there is no really roads to close and I heard the hall director talking about someone shooting a gun.

There is people stirring in my hall and here people coming up and down the stairs. I figured that would shut the big security door in the hall but they did not (or at least I do not think they did). No one is out and talking though which probably means everyone is scared shitless.

For real man, call the cops, just in case.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 AM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
For real man, call the cops, just in case.

If I hear another one I will, although the last one happened 20-25 minutes ago, I am sure they know.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #15
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Things seem to have calmed down a bit. I am still not leaving my room. I dont know what I am going to do if I have to go to the bathroom. I am guessing whatever took place happened in the Court of Governers Hall which is about 100 feet away from mine. There is a bunch of frats that stay over there and the football players do as well. I am interested in what went on, but I think I will just wait until the paper comes out.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:15 AM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

ah yes, I remember my first gunshot outside my house. Nice summer evening. Drive by, about 20 yards from my window.

They get easier with time.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:18 AM   #17
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
so how about that CFL file?

*cough* yeah
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:59 AM   #18
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

They just took the dorm out of lock down mode so I guess it is all over. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #19
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I was trying to take a math final during my short stay at Detroit-Mercy when all of a sudden a number of gunshots could be heard in the vicinity. That made for quite a distraction, as did the two helicopters that started circling the area at a low altitude shortly thereafter.

At least I had something to blame my poor grade on other than my shitty math skills
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:41 AM   #20
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
I hit the ground like a little fat kid goes after dropped choclate.
Why do we always have to pick on the fat kid?
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:58 AM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
I dont know what I am going to do if I have to go to the bathroom.

I'm thinking that question would have become moot about 0.7 seconds after the first gunshot...but that's just me.

Seriously, glad to hear everything is OK. And if they didn't find the guy, you can use this thread as evidence that you were not the shooter...unless you're some kind of crazed lunatic and we're supposed to be your alibi. Hmmmmmm.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 AM   #22
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
The RAs are crazy, you know.

Hey, we're not all crazy.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #23
corbes
College Benchwarmer

At least the fire alarm didn't go off.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I dont know what I am going to do if I have to go to the bathroom.

Do you have an in-room sink? Those things sure can come in handy at times like this. If you don't have one, empty beer/water bottles are perfectly acceptable urine containment devices.

And if you have to go poo...I suggest using your roommates laundry basket...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Saturday night, my girlfriend, my sister, and I went up to Denton to see a band play that one of my coworkers is the lead singer for (www.wellwishermusic.com). As we were searching for a parking spot behind the strip of bars, we came across a crime scene. There were like five or six cop cars on a tiny little street, including one that was blocking access to it from the street that we were on. There was police tape a little further down the street, and we were curious as hell as to what was going on. Knowing UNT students like I do, I figured that it had to be a drug bust while my girlfriend thought that someone had to have been shot. Well, we passed by and found a parking spot and went into the bar to watch the band.

At the bar that we were at, a place called Cool Bean's, the bands play on the roof. Well, the roof looked directly over the crime scene that we had passed on our way in. Between songs, one of the band memebers started joking about "double homicides", but we figured he was speculating just as much as we were.

After the show, we made a point of walking past the crime scene to see if we could see anything, but we couldn't. The only changes were that there was now an ambulance a ways down the street, plus the police tape perimeter had been extended all the way down to the end of the street.

Today, I got this e-mail from my sister...

"Hi. Don't know if you guys have seen this, but here's some info about the crime scene that we saw Saturday night....

Man charged in Denton shootings
04:33 PM CDT on Sunday, May 2, 2004
By MARY WEBB / Denton Record-Chronicle
A 21-year-old Denton man was charged Sunday with one count each of murder and attempted murder in a double shooting Saturday night on Fry Street.

Justin John Farwell was jailed in lieu of $150,000 bail in the shooting death of Dallas Wright Coldwell, 22, of Lewisville. Bail of $50,000 was set for the attempted murder charge.

The second victim has not yet been identified. He was taken to a Denton hospital emergency room, but was later transported by CareFlite to Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital, police said.

The shooting took place Saturday at about 9 p.m. in a parking lot in the 200 block of Fry Street, which adjoins the University of North Texas campus. It was not immediately known if any of the three men were students at the university, though Farwell lived in a nearby apartment.

Police said they received a call about a person with a gun in the 1200 block of West Hickory Street. It was followed by a call reporting shots fired in the area of Fry and Oak streets. Upon arrival, officers located Farwell and the two victims.

Criminal Investigations Lt. Lonnie Flemming said Saturday that it appeared an altercation began in a bar and moved outdoors. Officers were trying to obtain a search warrant for a nearby apartment, thought to be Farwell’s.

Farwell’s mother, who declined to give her name, said Sunday at the Denton City Jail that she had spoken with her son, who told her he was not in the bar.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t know what happened,” she said, declining to give further comment.
Farwell has no prior arrests or convictions. However, Coldwell has a criminal record, including assault charges, dating back to October 1999.

Also, police arrested a woman early Sunday and charged her with public intoxication after she allegedly drove her car through the crime scene tape.
"

Scary stuff...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-03-2004 at 11:29 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #26
KevinNU7
College Starter

Ok, so by now you have to know what happened
Old 05-03-2004, 10:55 AM   #27
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Also, police arrested a woman early Sunday and charged her with public intoxication after she allegedly drove her car through the crime scene tape.

You gotta keep an eye on that girlfriend of yours jeeber
Old 05-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #28
Ksyrup

Back in 1989, me and a few friends accidentally got stuck in the middle of a police shootout in downtown San Francisco that left 3 or 4 people dead and few more wounded. At about 1am we were walking back to our car from The Stone, a great (although gone now) club where Metallica (among others) first started, having seen the Ramones there that night. We had parked quite far away, and about 6 or so blocks from the club, down a side street, all of a sudden we hear sirens and see 4 or 5 cop cars come flying around the corner, stop right in front of us, and the cops get out with their guns drawn. My cousin, his friend, and I all ran across the street into an empty parking lot (I've got street smarts, oh yes I do!) and laid down. My other friend (we both had flown out to SF from Atlanta for a graduation present to ourselves) froze on the other side of the street and was getting frisked by the cops, looking like he had just died. We ended up running for cover behind a cargo van until he was able to catch up with us, then we got the hell out of there. We could hear shots as we were running.

The next morning, we saw the aftermath on the news. My Aunt asked that we not pass the little details on to our parents, so that they wouldn't be scared shitless. But having lived through it, it was way too cool NOT to tell everyone about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-03-2004, 12:10 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'm thinking that question would have become moot about 0.7 seconds after the first gunshot...but that's just me.

Seriously, glad to hear everything is OK. And if they didn't find the guy, you can use this thread as evidence that you were not the shooter...unless you're some kind of crazed lunatic and we're supposed to be your alibi. Hmmmmmm.

Hah, apparantly you've never lived in a big city or deep in the country. If I let the bowels rip every time I heard gunfire out my window I'd have no need for a bathroom at all.

Of course, being in the middle of two riots tends to make you not sweat the small stuff like just one whacko shooting people.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #30
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Someone just fired a gun outside my dorm window about 10 minutes ago. I hit the ground like a little fat kid goes after dropped choclate. I have no idea what is going on. I think they are putting the dorm in "lock down" mode. I am afraid to look out my window.

When I lived in Memphis, this happened just about every night. You do learn to ignore it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:26 PM   #31
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
That made for quite a distraction, as did the two helicopters that started circling the area at a low altitude shortly thereafter.
They had 2 helicopters circling parts of the campus Saturday night for riot preparation (last year some parties got out of hand during this weekend's celebration and lots of people were arrested, some stuff burned.) I felt like I was in South Central LA or something. No one got shot as far as I know though.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #32
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
When I lived in Memphis, this happened just about every night. You do learn to ignore it.

Several years ago I lived in a notoriously problematic Apartment complex. One night I had a bunch of friends over to play poker. Most of the guys playing lived in the complex or had lived there previously. One guy was from the 'burbs. A couple of shots rang out in the distance, and that guy was like "What the hell?". The rest of us pretty well ignored it.

Now when I hear shots, they are usually much closer to my house than ever before. Of course it is usually just my brother-in-law sighting in his rifle on our shooting range. Every once in a while it is one of my idiot neighbors dove hunting too close to my house.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #33
bbor
Pro Starter

Are'nt guns illegal

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Are'nt guns illegal
No, and most definitely no in Mississippi.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #35
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Maybe Cam is visting and was just trying to turn off the TV.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #36
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Maybe Cam is visting and was just trying to turn off the TV.

I heard Emeril was visiting.

BANG
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #37
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

GE, you never did tell us what happened ?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #38
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I still do not know. The rumor some crazy guy was shooting off campus. I could have sworn it was right outside my window. I am still waiting on the Delta Statesman to come out with details. That is our weekly newspaper.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #39
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I still do not know. The rumor some crazy guy was shooting off campus. I could have sworn it was right outside my window. I am still waiting on the Delta Statesman to come out with details. That is our weekly newspaper.

Maybe it was that guy from Police Academy having a few yucks...or perhaps some rap music...

Last edited by rkmsuf : 05-07-2004 at 03:26 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #40
Ksyrup

Tackleberry?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:33 PM   #41
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Tackleberry?

Bingo...his farts sound just like gunshots at times.