Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
cwilloughby
Mascot

Need help for a FOF2004 Utility

Hey,
The Commish of the league (USFL) I am participating in has requested a utility from me to allow him to move teams during the offseason without using the ingame relocation. In order to do this, I will have to modify the data files directly. After creating several sample MP leagues with minor city changes, I am still at a loss for where in the data files the team's city is stored. When doing binary compares with 2 leagues with everything identical except for the location of 1 team, I saw MANY differences between the data files. Has anyone here located the data I'm looking for? How do you locate data like this in a binary file easily?

Thanks in advance!

cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
cwilloughby
Mascot

Anyone know if this is possible?

Anyone tried to modify the data files?

Am I speaking a different language?

Should I just quit while ahead?

Or am I already behind?

Thanks

*Edit for grammar.

Last edited by cwilloughby : 05-25-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
cwilloughby
Mascot

Dola,

I should add that I am an experienced application programmer, and am not afraid of figuring it out. I just haven't had much experience reverse engineering data files, and was hoping for a little help from the community.

Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:39 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Is it POSSIBLE? ....Yeah.

Is it worth the work...I don't know.

The information you are looking for is in the .FGA file located in the universe folder. This file holds most of the information for your specific game, so it'd going to take a lot of digging (ie reverse engineering) to find the information you are looking for. Awhile ago several people on the board tried to dissect the file format, and I know I have the spreadsheet of it somewhere on my hard drive....but I can't find it right now. I'll post it tomorrow if I can find it. Not sure if the exact info you need was found, but I'll post it nonetheless (if I find it).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:46 AM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Actually, I quickly went through the files in my universe directory. You might want to check to see if the information is in the .fni file first. It could be in there. Most likely it'll be a reference to the city in the .fga file, so you'll still need to read in the ,fga file to see what city is what.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:02 AM   #6
cwilloughby
Mascot

Thanks for the responses sabotai...

I originally started by messing with and looking in the FNI files but my findings seemed to indicate that the FNI file seemed to be used as a basis for new leagues, and it only controls the nicknames that are displayed once a league has been started. This means that modifying this file will allow you to change nicknames, but not cities.