Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
21C
College Prospect

I hate yard work!

I am not an around the yard sort of person. I am not the sort of person that gets home from work and thinks, "I have got to get the yard looking nice!" I am probably like a lot of you guys and spend most of my free time fiddling around on the computer - either on the internet or playing some sort of computer games.

But every once in a while when we have friends over, I realize that I've got to go outside and tidy up out there. I've spent the last couple of hours cleaning all of the shit from the pool and around the back of the house. Why - it's winter here in Australia and it's not like anyone is actually going to go swimming!

I have to clean all of the leaves and weeds up since we have some trees at the back of our house - not in my yard but on public land - that drop their leaves all year round.

I've gotten to the stage where I can't stand to mow my lawn any more - and it is a big area - so I gladly pay someone to come and mow it for me. Now if I can just get someone to do the stuff I had to do today then I'd be a happy man . . . and I could get back to more important stuff like checking out this site!

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Every weekend when I was growing up my dad would wake me, my brother, and my sister up and make us pull weeds. This was in El Paso, so it was pretty much year round that we had to do this.

I hated weekends...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:04 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

ya...I bitched about it so much, my dad got a gardener. Not to mention he's a perfectionist and I didn't think the lines had to be perfectedly straight in the lawn *shrugs*
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Try living in a farmhouse with an oldschool Grandmother who wants the whole damn property spotless and well trimmed, that means mowing every 5 days, pruning trees (even though im not really sure what the hell pruning is, I just whack and cut what she wants.) She bought me a chainsaw last year for my Birthday and now she tells me it's time to use it, on what I don't know, im afraid to ask.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'm with you. I hate my yard. It's a losing battle. I've bot a billion trees, weeds everywhere, a big lawn, a pond front that looks like Omaha Beach at H-Hour plus ten minutes, overgrown bushes, the pool is a vacuum sink for anything within a 100 yards that isn't nailed down, and the grass grows so fast now that you can actually "watch it grow". I just mowed three days ago, and already my front lawn looks like the opening scene of Little House on the Prairie.

Not only that, but I have these loser neighbors on both sides that spend hours in their yards every day. They even put fertilizer on their lawns so their grass grows more! I'm like, dude, if it grows more, you're just going to have to cut it more. How dumb is that? But do they listen? Nooooo. So my disastrous yard looks twice as bad because I live next to friggin' hobbits.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-12-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Every weekend when I was growing up my dad would wake me, my brother, and my sister up and make us pull weeds. This was in El Paso, so it was pretty much year round that we had to do this.

Yeah, I think that has something to do with me too. My father used to tinker around the garden all of the time - planting vegtables and growing flowers. I had to "help" sometimes too but I used to hate/resent doing it every time.

The other thing I was going to say - if someone ( luddite ) ever asks you what you did over the weekend and you say that you spent most of the time on the computer, they usually screw up their face and say/think that you wasted your time. But "gardening" is an acceptable answer to them. Oh yeah, standing there in the yard with a hose in your hand is very productive!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #7
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Not only that, but I have these loser neighbors on both sides that spend hours in their yards every day. They even put fertilizer on their lawns so their grass grows more! I'm like, dude, if it grows more, you're just going to have to cut it more. How dumb is that? But do they listen? Nooooo. So my disastrous yard looks twice as bad because I live next to friggin' hobbits.

I had the same thing at my last house. We have weeds here called bindiis that insert tiny spurs in your foot when you walk across the grass without shoes. Both neighbors had lawns like carpets but at least mine would keep the neighbor's annoying kids off my property!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:38 AM   #8
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21c
I had the same thing at my last house. We have weeds here called bindiis that insert tiny spurs in your foot when you walk across the grass without shoes. Both neighbors had lawns like carpets but at least mine would keep the neighbor's annoying kids off my property!

Oh! Send me some bindis!

The only thing that I do enjoy about yard work is torturing my anal neighbor to the right. He absolutely cannot stand it if his grass is higher than ours. He will almost immediately cut his grass after I cut ours. He'll do this even if he mowed the day before. I kid you not. It's insane. My wife thought I was joking when I first told her this, but we now make bets as to how many minutes it will take him to start cutting his lawn after I finish ours. Usually somewhere around "20" wins.

The fun part is to start mowing when I see him put his golf bag by his car. He's either got to go like hell and squeeze in a mow before his tee time, or have to golf a whole round knowing that his grass is higher than ours. Either way I just know it ruins his round.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:41 AM   #9
korme
Go Reds

Jack my neighbor, is in love with his mower and lawn. He busts out the mower every other day, I swear half the time I see Jack mowing away, and his mower can't possibly be cutting anything. It's great.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:42 AM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Oh! Send me some bindis!

The only thing that I do enjoy about yard work is torturing my anal neighbor to the right. He absolutely cannot stand it if his grass is higher than ours. He will almost immediately cut his grass after I cut ours. He'll do this even if he mowed the day before. I kid you not. It's insane. My wife thought I was joking when I first told her this, but we now make bets as to how many minutes it will take him to start cutting his lawn after I finish ours. Usually somewhere around "20" wins.

The fun part is to start mowing when I see him put his golf bag by his car. He's either got to go like hell and squeeze in a mow before his tee time, or have to golf a whole round knowing that his grass is higher than ours. Either way I just know it ruins his round.

oh man, that is great
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #11
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I swear I will have artificial turf one day. That is my one goal in life. I dont even care if my kids blow out their knees when they go outside to play.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:56 AM   #12
21C
College Prospect

Quote:

I nearly pissed myself laughing at this bit!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I liked the hour I spent mowing the lawn and edging. Couldn't stand the weedeater, tho. That 5 minutes with the always-break string stuff just made me batty.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote