Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2003, 02:56 AM   #1
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Question FOF4: Rate the game

Just wanted to try to help the newbies out there who are on the fence on buying FOF4.
Let's rate the game on a 1 to 10 scale.

Playability: 9.5 Comment: I really haven't had too many problems since the second patch. Just a couple crashes.

Challege: 8 Comment: Just me but I find the game pretty challeging. Probably because I don't play it 10 hours a day.

Value: 8.5

Support:9 Comment: With two patches out fairly quickly and one more due, not bad. Also, the times I've e-mailed Jim on questions, he or one of his support group has answered me timely.

Overall Score:8.5 Comment: I like the game and with the new patch that is due this summer, I think the game will be really worth it.

DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:21 AM   #2
3ric
College Starter

Hm. Playability gets a 9 from me, mostly because of the replay value (infinite) and the variation of tasks available, plus that you can choose if you want get into the dirty details or if you just want to go with the recommended values. I don't use the playcalling interface, but for some, that might be very important.

Challenge: 7, it feels rather easy if you've played a while, but if you use common sense and isn't abusing the AI then it's OK enough, I guess. There's always the option to switch teams.

Support: 8, Jim is willing to patch the game and usually does it very well. Haven't emailed him personally so I can't comment on that.

Overall score: 9, let's face it - it's the best text sim for pro football available - bar none. It isn't CM, but what else is?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
RoyalTen
n00b

What new patch is due this summer?
RoyalTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

Playability:9.5 No crashes since patched.
Challenge:7 It can take me a few seasons to "get there" but once I have a decent team it isn't too hard to keep it on that level.
Support:8.5 Jim does a good job.
Overall score:8.75 Best football game going...for now.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalTen
What new patch is due this summer?

Solecismic.com says:
We are planning a small update to The Fourth Edition late this summer, implementing the 2003 schedule and fine-tuning the game just a bit. This will be free to all Fourth Edition customers.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #6
Hyde
n00b

Playability:7.5
Challenge: 6.0 (if you dont play every day)
Support: A big fat pile of ZERO. The whole lack of real testing ruined any chance that I will ever buy another of this guys games ever again.
Overall score: 3.0 The game was a pile of crap when it was released and was nothing near what I wanted in a sim. If you are thinking about buying it, be ready for lock ups, crashes, and other crap that makes the game grow old real quick. While this game ruined the series for me, it may be different for you. Just dont expect anything better than average from it and you may not be too disapointed.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #7
dread
n00b

One thing that I can say is that I have never locked or crashed with fof4 but in the old fof2k1 it was so bad I had to save after every event.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyde
Playability:7.5
Challenge: 6.0 (if you dont play every day)
Support: A big fat pile of ZERO. The whole lack of real testing ruined any chance that I will ever buy another of this guys games ever again.
Overall score: 3.0 The game was a pile of crap when it was released and was nothing near what I wanted in a sim. If you are thinking about buying it, be ready for lock ups, crashes, and other crap that makes the game grow old real quick. While this game ruined the series for me, it may be different for you. Just dont expect anything better than average from it and you may not be too disapointed.

Wow, you are that disappointed? I think the game is better than v2 myself. The support has been average, but since the latest patch, I'm having a blast. Never had a lockup, crash, or anything else to detract me from the game in its current state.

For me, it's easily worth its money.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
For me, it's easily worth its money.

Off topic, but kudos on the proper use of "it's" and "its" with correct spelling in both cases. Nicely done.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Playability: 8 (When you just want to play sports management games, this one is the best)
Challenge: 7 (I'm learning new tricks almost everytime I sit down, but THANK GOD, I'm pretty stupid and can be challenged with limited "reality" house rules.
Support: Seems like a 3 but really is an 8 (Frustrating but steady, Jim always ends up with solid programming in the end.)
Overall score: 8 (Worth it if you want to sim NFL football.)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Off topic, but kudos on the proper use of "it's" and "its" with correct spelling in both cases. Nicely done.

Are you kidding me? All I could think about when I was typing that sentance was, "I hope QuikSand isn't reading this".

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote