Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2004, 07:12 PM   #51
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

"We're building a station that will have a personal connection with its audience," said Dave FM General Manager Rick Caffey. "Why not use a person's name? Why not Dave?"

Hahah. That's a funny one. We're building a generic mass-marketed radio station, that we claim will be more personal than what you had before...funny stuff!

The news leaked prematurely Tuesday, when an employee from parent company Infinity Broadcasting accidentally sent a mass email to the media meant for internal use, mentioning Z93's new name and program director.

When reached for comment late Tuesday afternoon, Z93's program director Frank Jaxon said he wasn't aware about the impending change. He was terminated soon after, Caffey confirmed, replaced by Michelle Engel, a North Springs High School grad who had been helming a Portland '80s station.

By 7 p.m., Z93 pulled its jocks off the air, including evening deejay MaKenzie Taylor, morning show Mara & Dunham and mid-day host Willard.

Davis and co-host Jeff Dunham remain under contract at Dave FM, but veteran deejay Kaedy Kiely, Taylor and Willard will not be back, said Scott Woodside, a former Z93 morning host who still knows people at the station. (Caffey refused to confirm this.)

"Any cool image that separates us from 96rock and 99X is a good thing," said Davis, a witty, sardonic mainstay at Z93 for nearly a decade.

"Keeping Mara is smart," said Alex DeMers, a radio consultant who worked with Z93 four years ago and is now working with rival 99X's morning show. "I can see her fitting in nicely with the new imaging."

That's the part I dislike the most about this kind of thing. People get fired over it...

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:12 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/co...aW]V]VWYZT_RWX[STY%60SVWaRTW_Y\Y]SWY]VbX\S[V[VcYUVXVaYTX_R&urvf=10904550414810.3491877079608222

Based on Dave FM's first 30 minutes, the music appears to have skewed more heavily the '80s and '90s: "Orange Crush," by R.E.M. ; "Stay (Wasting Time)," by the Dave Matthews Band; "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," by Rolling Stones ; "Found Out About You," by the Gin Blossoms; "Come As You Are," by Nirvana; "Clocks," by Coldplay, "Big Time" by Peter Gabriel and "Wrong Way" by Sublime.

One other tidbit in the article that I'm glad was revealed to the public (I wasn't sure whether they'd admit this publically or just privately):
"The news leaked prematurely Tuesday, when an employee from parent company Infinity Broadcasting accidentally sent a mass email to the media meant for internal use, mentioning Z93's new name and program director.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #53
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I just barely beat you to that...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hahah. That's a funny one. We're building a generic mass-marketed radio station, that we claim will be more personal than what you had before...funny stuff!

As someone pointed out to me today, it seems kinda tough to claim the "more personal" thing on one hand & be running without an airstaff at the same time.

Quote:
That's the part I dislike the most about this kind of thing. People get fired over it...

As much as I hate to see a couple of the market's most endearing & enduring talents become unexpectedly unemployed, I have to say that it's something that pretty much goes with the territory. It doesn't take long in the business to figure out that you're pretty much in the same position as baseball managers -- you're hired in order to be fired at some future date.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Where did they come up with the stupid "dave" crap? Couldn't they find a better name?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #56
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I turned it on to hear a little bit on the way in this morning...since I was almost three hours late... They played a promo that said, "Your rock is finally back. Ninety-two-nine FM." Then they played a Barenaked Ladies song... After that it was another promo, which played snippets of various bands/artists, including Sheryl Crow and Depeche Mode, and then a woman said, "This isn't radio, this is Dave."

It's like a parody...
Old 07-22-2004, 07:39 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
It's like a parody...

Here is a list of what they describe as "artists we can't do without"
(What most stations typically refer to as "core artists)

U2
R.E.M.
Dave Matthews Band
Tom Petty
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nirvana
Sheryl Crow
Led Zeppelin
Counting Crows
David Bowie
The Clash
Sting
Peter Gabriel
Coldplay
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
Talking Heads

Other than the fact that I really don't care if I ever hear any of them again, the one thing that all of these artists seem to have in common is that they're already getting airplay on 1 or more other stations in the market; that they, effectively "belong" to other stations.

One of the things I asked specifically was "why on earth does anyone believe Atlanta needs another station playing The Smashing Pumpkins? That niche is already filled"

It appears that Infinity believes that the audience for this group, and some of the others listed, is underserved. I happen to disagree. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Another of their selling points is the following statement:
"Do you have friends who listen mostly to their CDs because they can't stand the radio? Well, we hope to attract a good number of those people."

Okay FOFC'ers, since that general subject has been discussed here numerous times & in various threads, I ask you:

Do you see anything in that list of artists above that will accomplish that goal, driving those who have been driven away from radio back to the dial?

I just don't see it myself, not even in a market where pablum tends to work better than any shread of creativity. No sir, I just don't see it at all.

But as I made clear earlier in this post, this "ain't my thang", so your opinions are welcome.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-22-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Where did they come up with the stupid "dave" crap? Couldn't they find a better name?

"Jack" and "Bob" were already taken

Incidentally, the "Jack" monicker has led to the obvious ad campaign in a couple of markets -- billboards reading "You Don't Know Jack".

And yes, just like my client asked yesterday, there has indeed been at least one station who used "Dick" as there on-air identity. And yes, they did indeed use the obvious billboard as part of their promotion for it.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from http://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=31639

In an email to the WZGC listener database, Sr. VP/Market Mgr. Rick Caffey said the new format "will play rock music that is based around the best songs of the mid 80s to mid 90s but will include a lot of older classic artists as well as many of today's newer artists. Our presentation will be unique and our sensibilities will be intelligent. We think that you'll develop a close bond with 92.9 dave fm because you've never been treated this way by a radio station...at least not in Atlanta...Change for change sake? Never. Change because a need is going unfulfilled."

While the format's name had market watchers expecting a cousin to "Jack" and "Bob," at first blush, Dave looks more like a hybrid of Classic Alternative and a younger-skewing Triple A. That appears to be be borne out by some of its slogans, such as "Rock without the rules," "Move someplace cooler," "Think for yourself," and "Change the rules."

The station's new place-marker website proclaims, "Atlanta finally has a home for your rock... All of the greatest rock, in one place. Think of it as an iPod, without all the work.. You really can find all of your favorite stuff in one place."

Here's about 75 minutes of Dave FM, beginning at 9:00 am Thursday:

The Pretenders "Message Of Love"
Sublime "Santeria"
Simple Minds "(Don’t You) Forget About Me"
Blues Traveler "But Anyway"
David Gray "Babylon"
Tom Petty "American Girl"
Edie Brickell "What I Am"
Green Day "When I Come Around"
Jesus Jones "Right Here, Right Now"
John Mayer "No Such Thing"
Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside A Broken…"
Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence"
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Soul To Squeeze"
Led Zeppelin "Ramble On"
Stone Temple Pilots "Interstate Love Song"
Matchbox 20 "Bent"
R.E.M. "The One I Love"
Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away"
Moby/Gwen Stefani "Southside"
Tears For Fears "Shout"
Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Yep, that sure sounds like a playlist that'll hold on to their current core demo of M45-54. NOT !
Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #60
cuervo72
Head Coach

Gee, could they find a list of songs that could be any more stereotypical or predictable?

It's no wonder I don't listen to music on the radio any longer.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/content/entertainment/tv/26davefm.html;COXnetJSessionID=BEH72Jm4r2gBbnc2OuTNPTAyCRImaEdg1agTQIOlDBm3dIWdD9X1!-1759833846?urac=%60LcQXMTKbXWR\XXX\XYV_XZXUXYX]XVX\YXYTT%60XcY%60YTSUTYT%60TWTWTbTTT\SaW]V]VWYZT_RWX[STY%60SVWaRTW_Y\Y]SWY]VbX\S[V[VcYUVXVaYTX_R&urvf=10908159316020.37833525289080905

Dave FM, which replaced Z93 last week, is chasing after Gen X'ers, not the baby boomers anymore, based on its new mix of music.

Z93's playlist was dominated by rock acts of the 1970s and '80s, with the average song about 25 years old, based on an Atlanta Journal-Constitution study of what the radio station played before the format switch Wednesday.

Dave FM (WZGC-FM) is skewing much younger, with most of its playlist from the past 15 years. Of a sampled 100 songs played on the station late last week, just two were from the 1960s and 15 were from the '70s; 26 were from the '80s, 43 from the '90s and 14 from this decade.

Dave FM so far blends '80s new wave (New Order, Depeche Mode), old standbys (Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix), grunge staples (Nirvana, Pearl Jam), rock currents (Modest Mouse, Jet), female-friendly flavorings (Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones) and forgotten '90s bands (Crash Test Dummies, Lemonheads). The station is also throwing in deeper cuts, such as "Galileo" by Indigo Girls, as well as their much bigger hit "Closer to Fine."

These former Z93 core acts have proven scarce on Dave FM: Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Queen, Van Halen, the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and part-time Atlantan Elton John.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:22 AM   #62
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm still pissed about Clear Channel changing KEGL "The Eagle" from Dallas' lone hard rock station into an easy listening crap factory a couple of months ago...

I can't believe those call letters lol...

"This is the mighty Kegel, flexing its muscle and pumping out the jam!"
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On an oddly related note that I thought was worth mentioning but not worthy of a thread of its own ...

Today's R&R reports that "ST hears that WKLS/Atlanta afternoon duo Dick & Justice have left the building. Their bios have been taken off the station's website, which lists Southside Steve and Tim Rhodes in afternoons."

That would seem quite possible, on the heels of yesterday's article from the AJC
http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/content/entertainment/tv/0704/30radio.html;COXnetJSessionID=BKN4qsuNimMzhGl0P0Exz0UdSZfFGTAsgU0LfjSwtas6jVUjc9Mc!-1960222907?urac=%60LcQXMTKbXWR\XXX\XYV_XZXUXYX]XVX\YXYTT%60XcY%60YTSUTYT%60TWTWTbTTT\SaW]V]VWYZT_RWX[STY%60SVWaRTW_Y\Y]SWY]VbX\S[V[VcYUVXVaYTX_R&urvf=10911943601670.6253871223070077

Stripped of its franchise Regular Guys show, 96rock lost more than half its targeted audience in the mornings this spring, according to Arbitron ratings.

Among men ages 25 to 54, the rock station plummeted from first to ninth place.

You may remember a conversation about this when it happened, the local show was replaced by syndicated Bob & Tom (which any veteran observer in Atlanta could have told you wouldn't work here).

And while we're on the subject ... Listeners turned off Real Radio 105.3 (WMAX-FM), the new Clear Channel talk station that switched from '80s music this year. The first FM talk station in Atlanta was ranked near the bottom of the list at 29th, tied with a country station in Rome and a new Hispanic station near Lake Lanier.

Bob & Tom were originally on 105.3 before being switched to 96 Rock. Among their regular hosts is former nationally syndicated sportstalker Scott Ferrell.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 AM   #64
Buzzbee
College Starter

So basically, the Atlanta radio market is eventually going to consist of V-103 on FM, and WSB on AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #65
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm still pissed about Clear Channel changing KEGL "The Eagle" from Dallas' lone hard rock station into an easy listening crap factory a couple of months ago...

I agree with this Jeeber. I listened to the Eagle sometimes as one fo the stations I would flip between when in/going through Dallas every week. Clear Channel
Old 07-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah Buzzbee, that's not a bad snyopsis. But then again, that's been the state of Atlanta radio for years, it's actually better (in terms of dividing the ratings) than it used to be.

For 18-34's in the morning (when radio listening is by far the highest)
It's V-103, Q-100, Hot 107.9, 99X, and Kicks 101.5

For 25-54's in the morning
It's AM 750, V-103, Kiss 104, Star 94, and Kicks 101.5

Now, worth noting is that these ratings basically cover April, May, and June. With the kiddies out of school, listening patterns do take a seasonal bump. Basically, it tends to help the younger stations (kids have more time spent listening) and hurt the older stations (fewer parents in the car/less time in the car). With that in mind, if I were 99X, I'd be a little disappointed with 4th place in the younger demos, if I were V-103 I'd be happy that I appear to have regained some of my previously lost strength with younger demos, and if I were an awful lot of stations, I'd be darned near suicidal.

If Dick & Justice are indeed gone, I'd say it's a safe bet that they won't be the only ones in town looking for work shortly.

And if I'm Clear Channel, the ratings for 105.3 would have me scurrying to gather up Willard, Kaedy, and maybe even talking to Christoper Rude's agent. If there's an obvious candidate for a format switch to classic rock, this is probably the one. The problem is, classic rock is strongest on the north side of town, while the 105.3 signal is strongest on the south side.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #67
Buzzbee
College Starter

Yeah, with the recognition that Willard, Kaedy and Rude have it seems like a reunion would be in order. Seems like it be a chance to get an instant ratings bump. Also, since the Regular Guys are off the air in the ATL, why not go after them too and basically create a "new" 96 rock.

Speaking of Rude, how have the sports talk stations been doing recently? I figured after Max Howell left, 680 would soon be changing formats. Then I hear they snagged the Thrashers and it made me wonder if they were doing better than I thought they would.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Speaking of Rude, how have the sports talk stations been doing recently? I figured after Max Howell left, 680 would soon be changing formats. Then I hear they snagged the Thrashers and it made me wonder if they were doing better than I thought they would.

I haven't had a chance to look at the detailed numbers yet, but the AJC article on the public release stuff includes this blurb "Surprisingly, sports station 790/The Zone's "Mayhem in the AM" showed no growth."

My expectation is that, if 790 was flat, then 680 was flat to slightly down.

I went & looked at the 12+ share numbers, they show
680 with the exact same 0.8% share for the past 4 books (i.e. 12 months)
790 was down from a 1.2 share to an identical 0.8 this time.

That, combined with the blurb about them showing no growth in M25-54, probably indicates that they lost quite a few listeners outside their core demo.
Possibly lost younger listeners who weren't "captive audience" while being dropped off at school and/or were college age listeners who had different listening patterns over late spring/early summer.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #69
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Yeah, with the recognition that Willard, Kaedy and Rude have it seems like a reunion would be in order. Seems like it be a chance to get an instant ratings bump. Also, since the Regular Guys are off the air in the ATL, why not go after them too and basically create a "new" 96 rock.

From what I have heard, the Regular Guys will no longer work together. One of them is doing/planning on doing a talk radio and is not interested in getting back together.

Having listened to Rude on 680 the last few months, I'm surprised that he would have any kind of following.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote