Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #51
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a few of you seem to feel that some women are using lactation almost as an excuse to flaunt their breast in public - like they've found some loophole in the law that allows them to legally do what they've dreamed of doing...show you their boob in public.

this couldn't be further from the truth. they are just shy moms trying to feed their child healthily. they don't want to be banished to a car, or a bathroom, or hidden under a blanket - anyone who suggests they should be is definitely not getting it.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
a few of you seem to feel that some women are using lactation almost as an excuse to flaunt their breast in public - like they've found some loophole in the law that allows them to legally do what they've dreamed of doing...show you their boob in public.

this couldn't be further from the truth. they are just shy moms trying to feed their child healthily. they don't want to be banished to a car, or a bathroom, or hidden under a blanket - anyone who suggests they should be is definitely not getting it.

And I think there's an element here that you "may not be getting" -- that a significant portion of the more vocal elements of the whole breastfeeding "cult" appear to be far more interested in their own p.r. than with all of the other benefits combined.

And yes, I chose the word "cult" intentionally & carefully, because it's very much how certain groups come across on the subject.

And if you don't believe there's a lot more involved in this whole "movement" than altruistic concern for infants then I'd say you're either in denial or are definitely "not getting it".
Old 08-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
And I think there's an element here that you "may not be getting" -- that a significant portion of the more vocal elements of the whole breastfeeding "cult" appear to be far more interested in their own p.r. than with all of the other benefits combined.

And yes, I chose the word "cult" intentionally & carefully, because it's very much how certain groups come across on the subject.

And if you don't believe there's a lot more involved in this whole "movement" than altruistic concern for infants then I'd say you're either in denial or are definitely "not getting it".

What "a lot more" exactly is involved in this "movement"? Please, enlighten us.

Cult? Cult? Are you f*cking kidding me? Since when are nursing mothers a cult?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM   #54
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll bite. So are you saying there is some kind of Breast Feeding conspiracy going on? Also when you say movement, Do you mean the medical community recommending breast feeding? Or are you talking about some sort of millitant group using breast feeding to challenge exposure laws?

I am certainly not getting it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
What "a lot more" exactly is involved in this "movement"? Please, enlighten us.

Cult? Cult? Are you f*cking kidding me? Since when are nursing mothers a cult?

Tsk tsk H_B -- I didn't say all nursing mothers were a cult -- I said "certain groups" on the subject come across that way. And made specific reference to the more vocal groups earlier in the post. That's a long way from a blanket indictment of "nursing mothers".

Nope, I'm talking specifically about those who have decided this is their cause celebre, their opportunity to grab their 15 minutest of fame.

I don't believe for a moment that the primary motive of those who have decided that this is "their issue" give a rat's ass about your baby, my baby, or anybody else's baby ... or at least not nearly so much as they do about grabbing an opportunity to get a little spotlight time -- not for the issue, but for their own egos.

As I mentioned in another thread, this isn't exactly the first time I've seen this topic go up the flagpole. And there's a great consistency to the loudest elements of the debates -- those are almost exclusively feminazi's with an ax to grind against some perceived slight by society in general & men in particular, they are almost exclusively far-left in their socio-politics, and they are almost exclusively approaching the subject as a way to "stick it to the man". Very similar in approach & style to various fringe groups who have chosen animals/environment/eating habits/etc as their "thing".

Again, so it isn't lost here -- I'm not talking about "nursing mothers", hell, I'm not even talking about all those who support the right to breastfeed in public -- I'm talking specifically about those who are the most vocal, and therefore most visible, proponents of the issue.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #56
Samdari
Roster Filler

JIMG has a valid point. La Leche league is a very militant (and yes, the word militant was carefully chosen) pro-breast feeding group. They are fanatical in their belief that every woman everywhere must breast feed their child. They have been on a concerted (and successful) media/lobbying campaign for decades. In fact, it is largely this campaign, rather than hard facts, which has led to the general populace being convinced at how important/healthy breastfeeding is.

Last edited by Samdari : 08-11-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

As a former SBUX employee (just got out, thank god) I have to say that breastfeeding in the stores does happen. Especially in a suburban store like mine was with a high percentage of mothers. But I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it. And from standing there and working and seeing it, I can't imagine having to be one of the employees to go over and tell the lady that she can't. That's just...none of my damn business. And I agree, if people find it distasteful they can look away, or move. Better yet, they can think, most of them if they're over the age of 20 were probably breastfed by their mothers. So, in conclusion...leave the mothers and the babies alone, unless they're literally...taking off their tops and baring both breasts to breastfeed the baby. That's my stance.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
In fact, it is largely this campaign, rather than hard facts, which has led to the general populace being convinced at how important/healthy breastfeeding is.

If you think that the benefits of breastfeeding are more "myth" than reality (hard facts) may I please guide you to the following all of which appear to be quite reputable and with no apparent "pro breastfeeding" agenda...

hxxp://www.nichd.nih.gov/womenshealth/breastfeeding.cfm

hxxp://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3b100/6/1035

hxxp://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2004/niehs-02.htm

hxxp://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/681_9148.asp

For the moms
hxxp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_19250.html

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-11-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #59
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I don't believe for a moment that the primary motive of those who have decided that this is "their issue" give a rat's ass about your baby, my baby, or anybody else's baby ... or at least not nearly so much as they do about grabbing an opportunity to get a little spotlight time -- not for the issue, but for their own egos.

As I mentioned in another thread, this isn't exactly the first time I've seen this topic go up the flagpole. And there's a great consistency to the loudest elements of the debates -- those are almost exclusively feminazi's with an ax to grind against some perceived slight by society in general & men in particular, they are almost exclusively far-left in their socio-politics, and they are almost exclusively approaching the subject as a way to "stick it to the man". Very similar in approach & style to various fringe groups who have chosen animals/environment/eating habits/etc as their "thing".

Again, so it isn't lost here -- I'm not talking about "nursing mothers", hell, I'm not even talking about all those who support the right to breastfeed in public -- I'm talking specifically about those who are the most vocal, and therefore most visible, proponents of the issue.

I don't get this. Why are women who are pro-breastfeeding not worried about childrens' (and mothers') health? How can you just assume they are all about the "glory" and "fame" that comes with promoting breastfeeding? Don't you think that someone who wanted glory and fame and their "15 minutes" would try to get on a reality show or something? Why pick breastfeeding? It hardly seems glamarous or a sure-shot way to get one's name in the paper or on TV. So, I imagine that all the other "fringe" groups really don't give a sh*t about what they "pretend" to believe in either? It's all about ego. It's all about fame and glory. What a crock.

It's the equivalent of me saying that some preacher somewhere doesn't give two sh*ts about god or anyone in his community. He's just up there for the fame. The glory. He doesn't really believe any of that stuff. He just likes to hear his own voice and bask in the attention. NRA members? Nah, not really into guns. Couldn't care less about the 2nd ammendment. They just want to have their own radio station (a shout out to my boy CAM!) and get close to Charlton Heston. Pro-Lifers? Nah. Just like the TV coverage. Some crave the attention so much that they kill people and blow clinics up just so they are SURE to get their name in the papers and some TV time.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #60
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Tsk tsk H_B -- I didn't say all nursing mothers were a cult -- I said "certain groups" on the subject come across that way. And made specific reference to the more vocal groups earlier in the post. That's a long way from a blanket indictment of "nursing mothers".

Nope, I'm talking specifically about those who have decided this is their cause celebre, their opportunity to grab their 15 minutest of fame.

what is your tinfoil hat size?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't get this. Why are women who are pro-breastfeeding not worried about childrens' (and mothers') health?

{Bangs head on keyboard}

Again, you aren't listening.

We're not talking about _all_ here, I'm talking specifically about the groups who have pressed themselves to the fore of the subject. And the most vocal members of those groups at that.

A crock? Maybe in your world buddy boy, but not in this one.

You can listen, deal with them, draw your own conclusions, I'm really hard pressed to give a fuck. But this little bit right here ... damn.

Quote:
Don't you think that someone who wanted glory and fame and their "15 minutes" would try to get on a reality show or something? Why pick breastfeeding? It hardly seems glamarous or a sure-shot way to get one's name in the paper or on TV.

It's a lot easier to get your 15 minutes of fame with from a news crew than it is to get a slot on a reality show. And especially if you pick a "cause" that hits any of the favored areas, hell, if you know how to play the game (and these groups are pretty good at it on the whole), it's not all that difficult at all. Yes, you too can be a star is Des Moines, Dubuque, or Honolulu.

But if you don't understand that ... damn, I never realized you were so far out of touch with reality.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
what is your tinfoil hat size?

Always remember DD -- just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that somebody isn't out to get you
Old 08-11-2004, 12:35 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Also, to get back to the original topic, these people were asked to leave a Starbucks just for feeding their children! The issue sort of imposed itself upon them, no? It's not like they were out looking for something to fight for! The woman didn't go into Starbucks topless, tits hanging out, baby in arm, saying "Look at me! Look at me! I got tits! I got a baby! Sounds like a good idea! Time for lunch!"

Like Malcolm X once said (or maybe it was just Denzel Washington pretending to be Malcolm X): "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us!"
Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
{Bangs head on keyboard}

Again, you aren't listening.

We're not talking about _all_ here, I'm talking specifically about the groups who have pressed themselves to the fore of the subject. And the most vocal members of those groups at that.

A crock? Maybe in your world buddy boy, but not in this one.

You can listen, deal with them, draw your own conclusions, I'm really hard pressed to give a fuck. But this little bit right here ... damn.

It's a lot easier to get your 15 minutes of fame with from a news crew than it is to get a slot on a reality show. And especially if you pick a "cause" that hits any of the favored areas, hell, if you know how to play the game (and these groups are pretty good at it on the whole), it's not all that difficult at all. Yes, you too can be a star is Des Moines, Dubuque, or Honolulu.

But if you don't understand that ... damn, I never realized you were so far out of touch with reality.

FYI...

The whole reality TV show thing was just a joke and a jab at the poor state of our current television programing. It was a throw-away attempt at humor. It had nothing to do with the point I was actually trying to make.

If I was trying to be serious about that I would have said something about starting your own show on a local public access TV show or something. Hell, even I did that.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-11-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #65
rkmsuf
Head Coach

you guys just love talking about anything to do with tits.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... these people were asked to leave a Starbucks just for feeding their children!

And again, back to the original issue ... that's bullshit.

It was the method, not the feeding, that was drawn into question.

And there's no inalienable right to whip your tit out in public, whether it's to feed a kid, to appear on a Girls Gone Wild video, or any other purpose on earth.

Quote:
The issue sort of imposed itself upon them, no?

Well, at least you got the "no" part right. They created the issue by their own action, their own decision -- both by choosing where to feed, the manner of feeding, and by timing their precious m'f'ing latte to coincide with the need to feed the baby.

Sadly, that's what it's come to -- their "right" to a latte has been infringed upon & they've gotten their widdle feelings hurt.

I'll be honest with you -- I personally give less than a damn how, when, or where somebody decides to feed their kid (as long as they feed 'em) -- but I've rarely encountered a group more frickin' obnoxious than those who choose to breastfeed in public. More than not, the ones who do so that I've encountered are far more motivated by a desire to flip off the world or whatever than they are by an interest in the well-being of their kids.

This is one little "cause" that really strikes me as being in bad need of someone to tell it to STFU, because everybody ain't impressed, and most people aren't even interested.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
{Bangs head on keyboard}

Regardless, why aren't these women in it for the children? In it for other women? These, the most voal at the fore? I don't get it. Have you met these women? Have you had a talk with them? Have they confessed as such? Also, by this logic, those most vocal christians, those at the fore, those people don't believe what they are saying either. They are just doing it for the fame, the glory, the 15 minutes, the bling-bling.

You do realize that mothers' altruisitc concern for their infants is one of the most primal and powerful forces in the world, across all species, everywhere? Then again you probably don't believe in evolution which means you probably don't believe in power of genetics, so perhaps this will be lost...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then again you probably don't believe in evolution which means you probably don't believe in power of genetics, so perhaps this will be lost...

And you pulled this from where exactly? Other than your ass I mean?

Y'know what? Screw this. I need to argue with some guy sitting his ass in f'n Belgium like I need a hole in my head.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #69
Samdari
Roster Filler

H_B,

I don't want to get this thread off track, but since we are already there. I have a child due in two months, and have done far more reading than you have provided there. Go read those articles, then all the references, and you will find some conclusions that are not really supported by the underlying research (i.e. mortality rates with overlapping margins of error being given as "statistically significant" evidence that breast feeding is healthier).

But, I was not trying to suggest that I thought breastfeeding was not, in general, healthy for babies. My point was, the people in certain militant groups need to mind their own business and let parents make their own decisions. There are lots (on the order of 20%) of mothers/infants for whom breastfeeding is not the best choice, a fact these militants are not willing to accept. Instead, they use psychological warfare to get the women to "try harder" (note to La Leche League - no amount of trying will make a lactose intolerant infant take breast milk). The successful public brainwashing I was talking about manifests itself in random women walking up to bottle-feeding mother and challenging the way they are raising their children.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #70
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
And there's no inalienable right to whip your tit out in public, whether it's to feed a kid, to appear on a Girls Gone Wild video, or any other purpose on earth.

Almost every state gives the mother the right to breastfeed in public. If that wasn't the case then every mother who would breastfeed would be in jail for indecent exposure. Have you ever seen a story about a woman going to jail for exposing her breast to feed a child? I surely have not. That because the mother has the RIGHT to feed her child in public.

Quote:
I'll be honest with you -- I personally give less than a damn how, when, or where somebody decides to feed their kid (as long as they feed 'em) -- but I've rarely encountered a group more frickin' obnoxious than those who choose to breastfeed in public.

If you don't give a damn then why bring it up? I mean you don't give a damn, right? The truth is that you have a problem with a woman exposing her breast to feed a child or you would get in such a hissy about it. I don't know if it is because of religious reasons or what, but you definitely have a problem with it other than the "15 minutes" they supposedly get.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #71
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
And you pulled this from where exactly? Other than your ass I mean?

Y'know what? Screw this. I need to argue with some guy sitting his ass in f'n Belgium like I need a hole in my head.

I hate Belgium!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #72
Huckleberry
College Starter

Sigh.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #73
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think Jon's point is valid and goes beyond this dispute. Often times when a dispute becomes public you can find people who zealously defend one side or the other for reasons other than promoting the actual cause they are asserting they are in favor of.

Some common reasons for this are that the zealot loves the spotlight or the thrill of the fight or the zealot hates the people on the other side of the dispute.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
If you don't give a damn then why bring it up?

Umm, Duck? Check the thread opener ... it wasn't my topic.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:47 PM   #75
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Umm, Duck? Check the thread opener ... it wasn't my topic.

I meant to say is why even bother replying if you don't give a damn?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
Old 08-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant to say is why even bother replying if you don't give a damn?

Because, sometimes, I find things so absurd that I just can't help myself.

The notion that breastfeeding in public is a "right" happens to be one of those things. (And even in states where it is a "legal" right, I believe it is only so because of spineless politicians trying so hard to be p.c.)
Old 08-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #77
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Because, sometimes, I find things so absurd that I just can't help myself.

The notion that breastfeeding in public is a "right" happens to be one of those things. (And even in states where it is a "legal" right, I believe it is only so because of spineless politicians trying so hard to be p.c.)

So you are saying that nursing mothers should stay at home all day?
Quote:
Old 08-11-2004, 05:15 PM   #78
Blackadar
Retired

So let's all just throw away the "no shirt, no service" bullshit. I'm going to Starbucks topless, baby! Just look at my man-boobs!!!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:31 PM   #79
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
So let's all just throw away the "no shirt, no service" bullshit. I'm going to Starbucks topless, baby! Just look at my man-boobs!!!

Can you feed with them? *shudder*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #80
Yossarian
High School Varsity

You *do* know thats why women HAVE boobs yeah?

To feed kids.

Thats WHAT THEY ARE FOR

Anyone who thinks theres somethign wrong with feeding a kid in public with a breast is...

i dunno.

it just seems like a brainwashing of breasts as just sex objects.

THEY
ARE
FOR
FEEDING
KIDS

let the woman feed her kid
dont be an ass
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #81
Blackadar
Retired

Yos, I'd tend to agree with you, except...

Is there any place it's not appropriate? How about sitting in a 4 star restaurant and having someone flop it out on the table next to you? THUD!!! Go to town, junior?

I thin it's like anything else...if it's discrete, then it's fine. Kind of like listening to music via headphones in a Starbucks. It's fine. But if the volume is so loud that it's blocking out my conversation, then turn it down. If you have both of your boobs out and laying on the table, cover the hell up and have some courtesy for the other patrons.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #82
sabotai
General Manager

Businesses should not be forced to allow breastfeeding in their establishment (nor should they be forced to ban it). It should be completely up to them to decide if they want to allow it or not. If "the breast feeders" don't like it, then they can simply not go to the places that don't allow it. Boycott the places. Place ads advertising your boycott. But please, stop running to government to force your will onto other people.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you are saying that nursing mothers should stay at home all day?

Nope duck, I think here's another way to say what I'm saying, from Washington Post writer Roxanne Roberts, from a column titled "Do Me a Favor, Keep a Lid on Your Double Latte"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Aug10.html

The objection is not with the babies, God bless their mewling little souls. Nor is it with the medical benefits of nursing, or even the legal right to do so. It's about the fragile balance of liberty and taste, questions of appropriateness and venue. It's about the slippery and ever-changing slope of social standards. ... But overt public breast-feeding makes lots of people uncomfortable, so this is less about nursing than about imposing a belief system on those who do not share her views. It's about who offends whom, for what reasons, in what settings. It's not about rights, per se. It's about taste and prevailing social norms. ... We are an uptight, prudish lot and in general believe large expanses of flesh, personal grooming and breast-feeding are not spectator sports. "In America, breast feeding is done only among intimates," writes Judith Martin in "Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium."

The "it's natural, it's beautiful" lobby says nursing is nothing to be ashamed of and the rest of us just need to get over it. Let's talk natural. Scratching in inappropriate places is natural. Clipping toenails is natural. Passing gas is natural, as is picking one's nose. None poses a health threat to those around us, and we probably all have a legal right to do so in public. But we don't because we have decided, in our arbitrary, old-fashioned way, that some things are not done in polite society. My 12-year-old son can belch impressively, and correctly states that in some societies it is considered a compliment to the chef. Not in my household, buster. ... Then there's the argument that mothers must accommodate nursing babies wherever they happen to be. "Sometimes [my mother] goes to Starbucks. When she does, I don't want to have to starve," reads part of a letter to Starbucks ostensibly written by an infant.

For the record, we do not believe babies should starve. We think it's possible for a mother to nurse, strap the kid in the car seat and have an unattached hour or so. There are also fathers, babysitters and breast pumps. ... In most states, private businesses have the right to say "No" -- as in "No shirt, no shoes, no service." No bare chests. No bare breasts. Customers who don't like it can take their business elsewhere.

Charkoudian says she's not trying to make anyone uncomfortable.

I understand. I still want my latte fully clothed.

{note: the underlining for emphasis is mine, not the columnist}
Old 08-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #84
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I thought of this thread today while I went to lunch with my wife. We have four year old, and a three month old. The 3 month old woke up while we were eating lunch. He was hungry. My wife sat there at our table and breast fed him. She placed a burp-rag(cloth diaper) over his face and her breast. We also regularly attend baseball games, and she always breast feeds without leaving our seats. Since his head is pretty much in the way, all pretty much anyone can see is her holding the kid with a cloth over his face. At the ballgames we usually bring a smallish light weight blanket expressly for the purpose.

Now my wife is modest about it, and the way she does it there is NO WAY anyone would ask her to leave an establishment. Not all women are alike though, and I have seen some women who have been less than modest about the process. It can be done tactfully, and I think that is what most of us have been exposed to. That is why it is no big deal for the majority of folks.

Businesses have the problem because they can't be subjective in their application of their rules. For them it is either allowed or not allowed. I guarantee I'll raise a lot more hell than any business wants to deal with if they ask my wife to leave because she is discreetly breast feeding.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Now my wife is modest about it, and the way she does it there is NO WAY anyone would ask her to leave an establishment.

FTR, Glengoyne, that's all I really expect -- some effort at ... decorum/tact/discretion, whateveryouwannacallit.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #86
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Yos, I'd tend to agree with you, except...

Is there any place it's not appropriate? How about sitting in a 4 star restaurant and having someone flop it out on the table next to you? THUD!!! Go to town, junior?

I thin it's like anything else...if it's discrete, then it's fine. Kind of like listening to music via headphones in a Starbucks. It's fine. But if the volume is so loud that it's blocking out my conversation, then turn it down. If you have both of your boobs out and laying on the table, cover the hell up and have some courtesy for the other patrons.

Agreed. It is not the act but degrees of the act.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #87
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
FTR, Glengoyne, that's all I really expect -- some effort at ... decorum/tact/discretion, whateveryouwannacallit.

I agree with you that they should be discreet when feeding their baby.
Quote: