Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Mike47
n00b

OT: Which Console Baseball Game for 2004?

Here is my order of interest currently:

1. I loved Acclaim's ASB last year. I guess this years is even better.

2. WSB, made by Sega. I've been impressed with Sega Sports games this year, but as good as they've been there's always something, some annoying bug or whatever that drives me nuts.

3. High Heat is always promising but is always coined as "a year behind."

4. MVP baseball, the new Triple Play by EA, seems to have been made just so EA could make a buck again. Boo.

What will you guys be picking up?

Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Anthony
Banned

Inside Pitch - MS's upcoming baseball game, which will have full online head-to-head capabilities. not sure if it's coming out this year, but i don't think i'd buy a baseball game without online capabilities. we're in 2003 now, enough of this nonsense. i don't know what i'd get out of a console baseball game with a huge franchise mode (what i'm really interested in) that i couldn't get out of OOTP5. who really plays all 162 games anyway. at some point you sim, i reather go with a game with a *stonger* sim engine and more features to customize.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

As long as the game is fun to play and innovative .I will play it .
Old 02-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
Mike47
n00b

ASB is going to have an option for a generated pitch count ala OOTP. I think that could be very cool and will help speed up the game and generate walks. The only reason I'm hesitant to buy ASB is because Sega has impressed me all year. I guess Sega's WSB is going to have salary arbitration and everything.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Console baseball games are so unrealistic, that in my opinion, they are not worth it. Plus none of them have a good dynasty mode.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

I'll be tempted to get the new High Heat game, though the series has gone downhill since HH2001. Plus the game would have to have the full minor league system.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:56 PM   #7
Mike47
n00b

GoldenEagle, that's a generalization if I've ever heard one. I hope you've played more than just Triple Play or RBI.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I played ASB last year, and hated the franchise mode. I could never get the finances down. I would always have to choose between resigning one guy or the other. So after a season my team absolutly sucked. That and I really don't like the base running controls. I'll definatly be renting every game before choosing.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike47
GoldenEagle, that's a generalization if I've ever heard one. I hope you've played more than just Triple Play or RBI.

Yes, I have played ASB, High Heat, WSB, and Triple Play. I just dont find it ver realistic when a player can come up and hit a home run every single time.

The other problem is when you pitch, it is impossible to stirke out the AI.

These problems are in every game because that is what arcaders want see, not a realistic simulation.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #10
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm probably going to check out WSB. It seems like it has the most stuff in it. Is it only coming out for XBox again?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #11
cincyreds
High School Varsity

If I had to choose it would probably be High Heat.

But I will stick with OOTP5!! Whoo Hoo!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bought High Heat 2004 yesterday and I'm quite surprised at how much fun console baseball is. 2003 went back after 4 games, but 2004 has been fun.

I haven't seen the "runner scores from 3rd base on a pop out with two outs" yet.

Plays like High Heat baseball, decent graphics, realistic gameplay, and plays well out of the box for me.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #13
oykib
College Starter

My problem with console sims is that they've nailed the pitcher/batter interface. I can always pitch in these games, but hitting is a headache.

The batting part of the game is either to hard or too easy. I hate the dumb cursor system. But if you disable the cursor in, say, ASB 2003, it becomes ridiculously easy.

At least HH for the PC had a tune file to edit...

The best Pitcher/Batter still has to be FPSBPro's. I like just picking which area of the strike zone to swing in and your player's ratings affecting his level and type of contact and/or adjustment.

While playing Front Page I even occasionally walked.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:20 PM   #14
Mike47
n00b

I agree, fresh out of the book and without much experience it can be hard to appreicate a good baseball game. However after playing ASB 2003 last year for a bit, I really enjoyed the ingenious way the batting cursor worked. I eventually was able to hit, with realistic results, on the hardest level. Walks take patience, and again with enough practice can and will occur frequently. I've never found it a hassle to strike out the AI in ASB. As long as you are changing up your speed and location you'll get realistic results. Im interested to try all of them.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:29 AM   #15
oykib
College Starter

Yeah, I agree with you about the pitching in ASB 2003. I actually strike out double digits per game against the A.I. The only problem is that its much better to have a pitcher with B-, C+, C, C for his four pitch repetiore than to have a young stud who is A+, B+-- or even B+, B+, D with a smaller selection. This holds true even if the guy with fewer pitch types has much better control and velocity.

The Guess Pitch option is too unbalanced.

All you have to do is sit fastball on every pitch and wait for the box to expand. Unless you're playing against a hard thrower who has a 2-seam and a 4-seam you'll score eigth runs a game.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #16
G-Man
High School JV

Who will have the time what with OOTP5 and TDCB1.21 eating up all my free computer gaming time!!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ootp will be played, that is for sure, but sometimes you need to work the joystick a little bit... in my case alot lately.

Todd
Old 02-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #18
Easy Mac

you should get a girl and let her do it for you
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
you should get a girl and let her do it for you

I have a wife, but going out with co-workers to a bar has been pissing her off. Recovery time, about 1 week.

Todd