Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

Silent Storm - the new Jagged Alliance?

There's a demo out for Silent Storm, a turn-based tactical fighting strategy game. Think Jagged Alliance meets WWII. I've been playing around with it and it's pretty good. Seems tough.

You can find it at:

http://www.silentstorm-online.com/main.php?lang=en

If you like JA, Fallout:Tactics, Commandos, etc., I highly recommend checking it out. The camera annoys me, but otherwise, it's a lot of fun.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

The characters look painted over the background images ala Postal (1). I'm sure that I will try the demo out and have more to say soon enough but that was my first impression after having looked over the screenshots.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Urgh. I respectfully ask that Commandos never be mentioned in the same sentence as a classic like Jagged Alliance.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
Blackadar
Retired

Well, more like Commandos 2. A very good game...
Old 10-25-2003, 07:45 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Heh, I agree...love JA, but couldn't stand the Commandoes games. Different game though almost completely, Commandoes is a puzzle game basically.

Silent Storm looks like it has potential, I'm really interested in the modding capabilities of it, from what I hear it's supposedly highly modifiable. So we could see all sorts of good stuff come from it.

Still no JA though, from the demo and from what I've read it lacks the personality among the characters that JA had, which is really what made JA such a great series imo. Hoping this is still good though!

All sorts of issues with the American release of it though, it's been pushed back to sometime next year, which is just unbelievably stupid. JoWood appears to be able to screw up publishing deals better than any company in history. The UK version is out though, so I'll probably order it from GoGamer whenever they get it in.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I am starting to really miss JA2 the more that I think about it.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
Calis
College Starter

Just in case you haven't heard, there is actually a new stand alone expansion to Jagged Alliance in the works. Should be out in the next few months actually, they just announced it a little while ago.

Seems a bit odd though, I'm just hoping they're not using this as a litmus test to see if folks would buy JA3...I don't think a game with the looks of JA2 is going to go over well today, aside from people who are already fans.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:46 AM   #8
andy m
High School Varsity

i think this is the best game i have played all year. simply fantastic.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:51 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love nothing more than a good squad-based tactical game.

Let's face it though. The sad thing is that "X-Com" is still the best one of these it was made, what? 10 years ago?

So very, very sad...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:52 AM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Ahh good someone bumped this up. I had kept meaning to do so, but was too lazy.

Silent Storm...I would have to say it's pretty easily my Game of the Year and a fantastic Squad Based Tactical game.

Is it as good as X-Com or JA? Probably not, for nostalgia reasons, but it's a damn good game. The physics engine and the destructable terrain is by far the best I've ever seen in any game to date, that in itself makes the game fun stand out.

The missions seem very well laid out mapwise, maps are much smaller than say JA but very well done..There's no base-building elements, etc like X-Com. (Interesting note: There's a full Geoscape accessible through a cheat in the game. Apparently the Devs are big X-Com fans and wanted to make Modding it in as easy as possible, we'll see.)

Character development is a blast, skills raise through use and then you get a perk tree to choose through as well, lot of fun planning out characters.

There's no personality to the characters at all a la JA, and no randomly generated ones a la X-Com..which I wish one or the other was in.

Another thing, the random missions aren't all that random from what I have seen. It seems that the random missions are all hand drawn maps with maybe one minor thing randomly thrown in. Luckily there's enough of them that you don't run into too much repetition.

And in case people aren't away, this isn't a historical game, it's gets pretty sci-fi, so be prepared. I wasn't really aware of this fact until I ran into a group of Renegade Japanese Samurai in Northern England. Pesky Samurai!

Weapons are well done, huge variety in the amount of them.

Not sure what else I can harp on, if you're a fan of the genre get this game! Definitely the best we've seen in several years.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:55 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

I understand it's expected to be easy to mod, so there's probably going to be quite a few mods available in the near future. The WWII theme doesn't really interest me much, but the mod options are very interesting to me.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Just read the impressions thread over at Gone Gold about this game. Really getting good feedback (including postiive impressions from a couple of folks I respect). Looks like I'll add this to my order when I order CM from gogamer when it comes out.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #13
Runtheball
High School JV

I got Silent Storm late last week from GoGamer. Been playing it alot, and anyone that liked JA and XCOM will certainly appreciate this one. It is a blast.

The only drawback that I've seen so far is that the enemy AI could be improved alot. When I'm assaulting a building that they are supposed to protect, and I have open ground to cross to get to the building, they should stay inside there and pick me off as I attempt to get closer. Instead, they have a tendency to leave their cover and approach my position. When they hear me around a corner, they should save action points and then peek around the corner and unload on me (like I do to them), but it seems I win this sort of confrontration about 90% of the time. They don't use grenades nearly as often as they should, but when they use them they are devastating.

Despite these weaknesses, the game is still extremely fun. The problems are not as dramatic as they may sound from my descriptions, I think the AI might be tweaked just a bit with a patch and the game could be much more exciting. As it is, I've completed 6 or 7 missions and only lost two men (and only had to restart the game after losing my custom character twice). I have the game set to the "hard" difficulty setting (the middle setting of 3) and I feel its just a bit too easy.

Maybe I'll leave a character behind next mission (use 5 instead of 6) and that'll make it more challenging.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

I just got this (released in the USA in January) and it's really good. Just as good as JA. Love the destructable environments.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #15
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I wanted to get this game when I was at BestBuy last weekend.

But when I had read that they took the online multiplayer out of it, I put it back on the shelf and walked away.

This game had incredible potential. Back in November 03 I had read an article(forget where) that online play was going to be in the game, which had me licking my chops to play it, but when I read the review at gamespy that they had taken that out, I asked, why??

Oh well. Waiting on BF Vietnam now.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:01 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyreds
I wanted to get this game when I was at BestBuy last weekend.

But when I had read that they took the online multiplayer out of it, I put it back on the shelf and walked away.

This game had incredible potential. Back in November 03 I had read an article(forget where) that online play was going to be in the game, which had me licking my chops to play it, but when I read the review at gamespy that they had taken that out, I asked, why??

Oh well. Waiting on BF Vietnam now.

No offense, but if you were interested in Silent Storm solely for online multiplayer, it probably isn't your type of game anyway.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #17
jaeenox
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Just in case you haven't heard, there is actually a new stand alone expansion to Jagged Alliance in the works. Should be out in the next few months actually, they just announced it a little while ago.

Seems a bit odd though, I'm just hoping they're not using this as a litmus test to see if folks would buy JA3...I don't think a game with the looks of JA2 is going to go over well today, aside from people who are already fans.

I would like to update everyone on the happenings in the Jagged Alliance world if one does not follow it closely. (The biggest current dilemma in my life is trying to squeeze several hours of poker and several hours of JA2 and its mods into my schedule.)

First please visit www.strategyplanet.com\jaggedalliance for all the current happenings and files.

JA2: Urban Chaos has just been released (its free) and has been downloaded by more than 10,000 JA fans. It is really a new stand alone game using the basic code of JA2 v1.03. Every aspect of the game has been changed including weapons, graphic tiles, NPC, some of the RPC, locations, etc.--everything is new! It is based in a fictional eastern european country with much more CQB than JA2 as most combat is in urban areas. A truly AMAZING effort for a team that does not have access to the source code!!!

JA2: Deidranna Lives (from the same modders as UC) has been around for a few years and being the first attempt at a major mod feels more like JA2. It has over 20,000 players. Highly recommended!

JA2: Wildfire is a retail release that should be out in less than a month. It will only be $19.99 so please support it if you can. This is a controversial release in many ways. Wildfire (a russian modder\game hacker) was the pioneer in JA2 modding, but some are disappointed with the modest changes and suspect decisions by Wildfire and Strategy First for this mod. Wildfire had full access to the source code, but the mod seems far less innovative than the work produced by people struggling with hex editors to decipher the code.

Vietnam SOG '69 is the other major mod. It is a reworking of JA2 to the jungles of Vietnam.

There are many smaller campaigns\mods available. JA2 is also easy to customize to your own tastes, you can quickly add new weapons, edit characters and locations, saved games etc.

It is still not X-Com, but a strong second place.
jaeenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #18
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Will Wildfire include The original JA2 and expansion?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #19
jaeenox
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Will Wildfire include The original JA2 and expansion?
It will include the full version of JA2 but not the add on Unfinished Business.
jaeenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I liked Unfinished Business so much more than JA2. I wish things were based on that setup instead.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #21
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I liked Unfinished Business so much more than JA2. I wish things were based on that setup instead.

Hmm, that's interesting actually..because I didn't care for UB at all, and loved JA2.

Different strokes.

I haven't heard overly good things about this Wildfire deal, but Deidranna Lives I can attest to is a pretty good mod, had some fun with that one.

Man, I hope they make a JA3 and don't jack it up.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:33 AM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Hmm, that's interesting actually..because I didn't care for UB at all, and loved JA2.

Different strokes.

I haven't heard overly good things about this Wildfire deal, but Deidranna Lives I can attest to is a pretty good mod, had some fun with that one.

Man, I hope they make a JA3 and don't jack it up.

Thinking about picking this one up after all the good things I'm hearing from people about this one.But my only reservation is the damn PK's(the superweapons ie laser guns,ion blasters whatever).Isn't this suppose to be a realistic WW 2 strategy game ?So what gives with the
'Duck Rogers in 25 1/2 CENTURY " weapons.I have heard alot of people ticked off about this point.Does anyone know if the developers have replied to this ?Any chance of a patch to remove these weapons if possible or how about a mod?Is their a mod to remove the panzerkleins(PKs)?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:13 AM   #23
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Thinking about picking this one up after all the good things I'm hearing from people about this one.But my only reservation is the damn PK's(the superweapons ie laser guns,ion blasters whatever).Isn't this suppose to be a realistic WW 2 strategy game ?So what gives with the
'Duck Rogers in 25 1/2 CENTURY " weapons.I have heard alot of people ticked off about this point.Does anyone know if the developers have replied to this ?Any chance of a patch to remove these weapons if possible or how about a mod?Is their a mod to remove the panzerkleins(PKs)?

bump
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:42 AM   #24
riz
SI Games

After having played Silent Storm over the last few months, I've got to say that it is one of the best games ever. A nice combination of tactics elements, shooter elements and especially rpg elements makes it one of my all time favourite games. Definately a must buy. Just a shame I haven't been able to play it that much amidst programming
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #25
jefflackey
n00b

My only gripe with Silent Storm: it would have been SO much better - let me repeat, SOOOOO much better - had they not thrown in the PKs and the Sci Fi aspects.
jefflackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
Calis
College Starter

Yep, the whole balance of the game gets jacked when the PK's are introduced, and I lost interest shortly after getting them.

What an engine on this game though! The Physics and such are top notch. I think we can see some great stuff come from this game in time.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Oh, jeez, I didn't know there were sci-fi elements in Silent Storm. They don't tell you THAT on the box, do they? There aren't going to be aliens like there were in Jagged Alliance 2, huh? If it's just futuristic weapons in the game, I can deal with that, but I don't want to fight aliens. I'm just getting started in Silent Storm, though, so I'll definitely enjoy it for now.

Speaking of JA2, the reason I liked Unfinished Business much better was because the game was more linear. I didn't like having to leave people behind and defend territory in JA2, mainly because I play at such a slow pace. It was that one aspect of the game that gave me a preference; otherwise, I'd like both of them the same, really.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:29 PM   #28
Calis
College Starter

Ah gotcha. Fair enough on the UB over vanilla JA2 then. I'm just the opposite on that, I liked the fact it was more open ended, made decisions more interesting.

Yeah no aliens in Silent Storm.

Although there are renegade Japanese Samurai in England that will lob grenades at you..which was the highlight of the game imo.

The one thing Silent Storm is lacking from JA2 big time is the personalities. The soldiers have none. Pretty boring folks.

I just hope the community is big enough to get some big mods going. Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the game actually shipped with an accessible full Geoscape ala X-Com. So they did some of the work already for an X-Com mod.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #29
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I finally played the demo last night and was highly impressed. My first impression of the game wouldn't have dictated such a level of enjoyment that I found in the demo. So needless to say, Silent Storm is now on the top of my PC games wish list.

Does anyone know anything about the Sentinels expansion? It has a release date 0-15-04 according to Game Rankings however, there is no current news available on the official website. Something that I find odd is that GoGamer has a Silent Storm Gold Edition, which supposedly includes the Sentinels expansion. Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the original X:Com can be downloaded from anywhere?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #30
Blackadar
Retired

From what I understand...

1. The Sentinels expansion won't be released in the USA. It will be under the SS Gold version, meaning those of us who bought the original are getting hosed because to get the expansion, we have to buy the game all over again.

2. No, the original X-Com isn't Abandonware yet.

For what it's worth, I have the original Silent Storm that I could trade.