Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

MNF - Chiefs/Ravens

does no one care?

Chiefs are looking like their old self - good offense, suspect defense. This game would be over had they not let up a punt return for a TD.

Up 10 at the beginning of the 4th, I'm glad I bet on them. I thought the +6 was pretty ridiculous against a team with no offense.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
does no one care?

Chiefs are looking like their old self - good offense, suspect defense. This game would be over had they not let up a punt return for a TD.

Up 10 at the beginning of the 4th, I'm glad I bet on them. I thought the +6 was pretty ridiculous against a team with no offense.

2nd straight week I thought real hard about betting the MN game.
2nd straight week I didn't.
2nd straight week I would have won.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so you have 1st and 1, you're playing a horrible defense that is small up front, and you have a 220-lb running back. And you, fake the hand off to go for a short pass instead? Did someone actually once call Billick an offensive genius? The Ravens dodged a bullet when that interception was flagged away.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Agreed. If ever a situation called for 4 straight runs, that was it.

I always wondered... when there is a penalty in the endzone, and a first and goal situation, why place the ball at the 1? They should place it as close as possible to the goal line. Just one of those things i've wondered about for too long.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

So let me get this straight, as I find it hard to piece together Madden's ramblings.

If a return team fair catches a punt they can get a free kick on the next play? I'd never heard this rule before, pretty intriguing. What's the exact reasoning for this?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
So let me get this straight, as I find it hard to piece together Madden's ramblings.

If a return team fair catches a punt they can get a free kick on the next play? I'd never heard this rule before, pretty intriguing. What's the exact reasoning for this?

I think the rule only applies at the end of a half/game. I don't really know what the reasoning is, but it's my favorite rule. I think i've only seen it ever happen in an NFL game once though.

It's an odd sight because it's just the holder, kicker, and empty field.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

RUN THE BALL, KC
Old 10-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I would love to abolish the two-minute warning.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Scarecrow
College Prospect

How many more good games defensively do the Chiefs have to have before they quit being this laughing stock???

vs BAL: 234 Total Yards allowed (154 passing / 80 rushing)
vs Houston: 309 Total yards Allowed (233 passing / 76 rushing)

Last edited by Scarecrow : 10-04-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... KC actually won a game .
Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis

I hate how they ramble about this all the time. I think it applies any time during the game, but you wouldnt want to use it except at the end of the half or game. Theoretically you could get a better attempt or a touchdown if you began a drive instead of free kicking it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have a question about a play from early in the game. There was a pass interference call on Chris McCallister, and Billick challenged whether the ball was tipped.

This confused the hell out of me, and Michaels and Madden didn't help at all when explaining it. Isn't Billick challenging the penalty call? Which isn't allowed? How can he challenge whether a ball was tipped?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #13
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Wow... KC actually won a game .
'bout time.

Now we can get on with, as Trent Green put it, "the second half" of our season.

(Just hope we win some games in the third and fourth halves as well)
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #14
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I have a question about a play from early in the game. There was a pass interference call on Chris McCallister, and Billick challenged whether the ball was tipped.

This confused the hell out of me, and Michaels and Madden didn't help at all when explaining it. Isn't Billick challenging the penalty call? Which isn't allowed? How can he challenge whether a ball was tipped?

Because if the ball is tipped it's a free ball and anyone can go after it. Billick was saying that since it was tipped, McCallister could tackle Hall.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Because if the ball is tipped it's a free ball and anyone can go after it. Billick was saying that since it was tipped, McCallister could tackle Hall.

Ahh thanks. That cleared it up.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Yeah, I also thought that was an odd challenge. We may never know whether that challenge should have even been allowed...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was expecting them to start panning the sidelines at the end of the game, looking for Jamal Lewis, not finding him. Next thing you know hes in Canada, leading one of the RoughRider teams to victory.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:28 PM   #18
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:

He was challenging whether or not the ball was tipped. If the ball is tipped, then you can't be called for pass interference or illegal contact. So, you can't challenge the penalty, but you could challenge whether or not the action on the field prevents that penalty from being called.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:32 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My #1 pick in fantasy football this year?

Ahhh yes... Priest Holmes. He did me proud today!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:06 AM   #20
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Okay, so you have 1st and 1, you're playing a horrible defense that is small up front, and you have a 220-lb running back. And you, fake the hand off to go for a short pass instead? Did someone actually once call Billick an offensive genius? The Ravens dodged a bullet when that interception was flagged away.

CR

I had Jamal Lewis on my fantasy team and needed that TD to win for the week...how infuriating do you think that first first and goal call was to me?

In that league that I'm in, because of the results of the game, there were one point, two point, and three point winners.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 AM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...there was personal angst in that moment for me as well, JAG. I have Lewis in at least two leagues (maybe three--I forget).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I was expecting them to start panning the sidelines at the end of the game, looking for Jamal Lewis, not finding him. Next thing you know hes in Canada, leading one of the RoughRider teams to victory.

There's only one Roughrider team now...
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #23
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
How many more good games defensively do the Chiefs have to have before they quit being this laughing stock???

Well, they have to do it at least once against a decent offensive team...
Old 10-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's only one Roughrider team now...

Maaaaaan, i prefered it when 25% of CFL teams were named RoughRiders.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:36 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Baltimore's entire offensive gameplan confused me. On their very first offensive play they do a nicely-called pitchout to Lewis (whilst the KC defense were clearly thinking a run up the middle) and he plows for 18 yards (the last five while running over a DB). On the evidence of this, I would have thought a lot more running was in order. Evidently not. Why? I can't wait for TMQ to have a field day with this one.

The free kick thing was interesting. I don't suppose anyone's interested in trawling through the NFL rulebook to find out what the real story is?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #26
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I hate how they ramble about this all the time. I think it applies any time during the game, but you wouldnt want to use it except at the end of the half or game. Theoretically you could get a better attempt or a touchdown if you began a drive instead of free kicking it.

I'm not trying to parse "end of the half or game" to closely I hope, but the advantage is that you don't have to worry about anyone trying to block the kick, so you can presumably kick a longer FG than you could while constrained by getting the ball up above the arms of the defense. I don't know how many yards extra that translates to, but you could certainly make an argument that even with "some" time left you'd want to take the free kick.

As to "why" the rule is there...who the hell knows. It's also still legal to try a "drop kick" for goal, where you might line up in punt formation, and instead of a normal punt you let the ball hit the ground and then kick it. I don't know where they'd spot the ball if you don't make it through the uprights, but if it were only a touch back I'd think someone would try it once in a while.

/{end silly nfl rule discussion}
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #27
QuikSand
lolzcat

I remember a while back, Jim McMahon was practicing his drop-kick technique, "just in case."

The fact that these absurd rules still exist in the mysterious bowels of the NFL rules simultaneously annoys and amuses me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #28
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I remember a while back, Jim McMahon was practicing his drop-kick technique, "just in case."

The fact that these absurd rules still exist in the mysterious bowels of the NFL rules simultaneously annoys and amuses me.

I think these rules are remnants of football's evolution from rugby. Both the drop kick during live play, and the free kick after a 'fair catch' (called a mark in rugby) are allowed and actually used during rugby play.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #29
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

They've still given up the most points in the NFL...that might have something to do with it. And, besides, the Ravens averaged 5 yards per play last night...they're second best performance of the season behind the game against Cincy...a team everybody has a good day against...except the Fish!!!!

Jamal Lewis didn't get into a groove last night until the 4th quarter and is the only reason why KC's D didn't look as foolish as it usually does. Why didn't he get into a groove until then?? Well, the KC offense did it's job...well, Holmes...and kept the ball all game. The KC D should be buying beers this week...that's for sure.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 10-05-2004 at 10:39 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

As soon as someone wins a playoff game with a free kick, the rule will be gone.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
As soon as someone wins a playoff game with a free kick, the rule will be gone.

So, never is what you are saying?

What they should really do is require the person making the fair catch take the free kick.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

here is the rule i think

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/faircatch
Quote:
6. If time expires while ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, placekicker may not use tee

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/fairkick

Quote:
1. After a fair catch, the receiving team has the option to put the ball in play by a snap or a fair catch kick (field goal attempt), with fair catch kick lines established ten yards apart. All general rules apply as for a field goal attempt from scrimmage. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. (No tee permitted.)

Last edited by stevew : 10-05-2004 at 09:34 PM.