Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Dave66
n00b

Ping: Oklahoma State Fans

It appears that Les Miles will be offered the head coaching job at LSU.

I was wondering what type of offense he runs. This year Ok St was run oriented and if I am correct, his prior two years were passing attack type of offenses.

Also, how has Ok St's defense been the last few years?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66

I was wondering what type of offense he runs. This year Ok St was run oriented and if I am correct, his prior two years were passing attack type of offenses.

Also, how has Ok St's defense been the last few years?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Even though I'm an OU football fan, OSU is my alma mater so I can offer a few thoughts.

You're right about his offense. This year, Miles has played to his strength with a running team because his quarterback is a true freshman and also has the ability to run. His arm has not yet developed. But when Josh Fields was there, they were a very balanced team. Miles would probably prefer to play that way, with a quarterback who's not necessarily mobile but is accurate and can throw a good playaction pass.

Defense, though, has been OSU's weakness over the past few years. Whether that's the scheme or the talent is a debatable question, I suppose, but I would say that it's the scheme. They've run a 4-2-5 to take advantage of good defensive backs, but OSU has had some very talented defensive players over the last couple of years and have nevertheless been fairly weak on that side of the ball.

Miles is a good coach, though. He appears to be an excellent motivator and a very good recruiter. As a man who roots for OSU as long as they aren't playing the Sooners, I can say that I'll be sad to see him go. The things he's done in Stillwater and his battle with Stoops is to be commended. If he leaves, LSU will be happy with what they're getting.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 01-01-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Dave66
n00b

Cuckoo,

Thanks for the response....it is appreciated
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Cuckoo
College Starter

No problem. As a side note, Miles was the offensive coordinator, I believe, with Oklahoma State back in the late nineties as well, and he had Tony Lindsay at quarterback. Lindsay was another mobile type quarterback, and OSU did a lot of similar stuff to what they did this year. However, Lindsay was a little better passer than Woods is this year, and they didn't have a great running back like Morency back then so they did a little more passing.

Point: Miles hasn't really had one definitive system from what I've seen. He seems to be able to really maximize the talent of the personnel.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66

Speaking of Les, I wonder if Fran got him to give the pregame pep-talk before the Cotton Bowl today.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Miles is an interesting guy. Very good at motivating the team. I like his offense. He plays to his strengths. I've seen nothing to indicate that he wouldn't do whatever was necessary on that side of the ball. If he had 4 stud WR and a great QB, he'd probably coach like Spurrier. He loves the balance, but he'll do what needs to be done.

That said, there are weaknesses. I don't think he has the "killer" instinct. There have been many times that the team has given away big leads in his tenure. The defense has been very poor as well. OSU doesn't have the worlds best athletes on defense, but they are better than the production they've had.

All in all, I say it's a pretty good move. He's not the best option out there, but he's a solid guy who will do a good recruiting job and motivate well for you. I think you'll be pleased.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
JW
College Prospect

I think the media may be premature. Miles has not been offered, but everyone is now stating he will be offered. However, there are still lots of rumors out there and LSU officials are saying they are still interviewing. The latest rumor is of a big name being announced in the next day or two. I'm not sure Miles is a 'big name'. Lots of debate about Miles on the LSU forums. He seems to be a pretty good candidate and may well be the best available at this point. But I'm not sure if he is about to be offered or not.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote