Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

FOF newbie questions-Ask Here if your New to FOF

for gameplans &depth charts, formations

which coach is responsible for it ?

which rating for this particular coach i look to give me an idea how well he does it when i press the recommend button for gameplan, Depthchart, formation, etc?

thanks

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Depth Charts - Scout.
Gameplans & formations - Head Coach.

Put another way....

Scout - Rates your players and sets your depth chart if you let him. He'll be better or worse at this depending on his ratings for various areas (i.e. QB, RB, etc....) Depending on how you want to focus your team, you may want a Scout with strengths in certain areas.

Coordinators - Affect the development of players on their side of the field. Pretty simple. Almost too simple. Thus, an OC with a high QB rating will develop QBs very quickly. Again, if you want to concentrate on a particular part of your game, you'll want a coordinator who concentrates on that.

Head Coach - Sets gamplans and formations, if you let him, also has a part to play in team motivation (unsure how that works), discipline (unsure how that works) and injury proneness. Also calls plays. No one really knows how much the motivation and discipline ratings matter. For O play-calling and D-play-calling obviously there's a level to which he's going to set a good gameplan or not. You may also see more boneheaded playcalling in your logs if he's a bonehead. The most important attribute, though, by common consensus, is Avoid Injury, with clear differences between a HC with an Excellent rating for this and one with, say, only a Good rating.

Best of luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

thanks so much

does scouts see other teams player rating thru his eyes too right?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yep.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

just confirming

you can only have one league going at a time? if i try to create another league it wil overwrite my current league?

for realplayer file ..you recommend x-factor enabled or disabled?

for fictional -you recommend x-factor enabled or disabled?

thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Router Help

You can have as many leagues going at one time as you like. Just make sure you save them with different names.

As far as X-factor, real players, etc., that is all up to you.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If you highlight the "yes" "no" options when starting a career, it will explain to you what they mean.

I select no x-factor with real players to reflect the real NFL.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router Help
You can have as many leagues going at one time as you like. Just make sure you save them with different names.

As far as X-factor, real players, etc., that is all up to you.

but wont all the teams name be the same in different leagues i save? will i be able to change the team names per league i create?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If you create a new directory for each league, the team names will be different.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

after i create a new league i save it and exit game...

when i goto my FOF folder i see nothing in the league folder..

how do i save different league i create and how u make a new directory for each leage and load the league you want in the game?

thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

the leagues folder is for multiplayer leagues, so it will be empty if you're doing single player.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

There is a thread in the reference thread that talks about how to run a multiplayer and single player game at the same time. I think you'll have to create a batch file, you'll find the instructions in that reference.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Hates_Cakesniffers
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Depth Charts - Scout.
Gameplans & formations - Head Coach.

Put another way....

Coordinators - Affect the development of players on their side of the field. Pretty simple. Almost too simple. Thus, an OC with a high QB rating will develop QBs very quickly. Again, if you want to concentrate on a particular part of your game, you'll want a coordinator who concentrates on that.

Head Coach - Sets gamplans and formations, if you let him, also has a part to play in team motivation (unsure how that works), discipline (unsure how that works) and injury proneness. Also calls plays. No one really knows how much the motivation and discipline ratings matter. For O play-calling and D-play-calling obviously there's a level to which he's going to set a good gameplan or not. You may also see more boneheaded playcalling in your logs if he's a bonehead. The most important attribute, though, by common consensus, is Avoid Injury, with clear differences between a HC with an Excellent rating for this and one with, say, only a Good rating.

Best of luck!

Very little of the above is true.

Discipline means penalties. The better the rating, the fewer the penalities your team will incur. Motivation impacts how your team does in the fourth quarter. If a high rating, you will come from behind more often than other teams. the details of how this works have not been revealed, but I've always thought it involves a boost/cut to the coach's OFF/DEF play calling ratings in the fourth quarter.

On player development, the coach's rating impacts the level of skill your player will achieve, that is, how high the numbers will be in each skill. The Young Talent rating impacts how fast this growth in skill will occur.

An offensive coach with EXCELLENT young talent ratings will quickly develop all his players. The level to which they will rise depends on the position ratings. So if he has FAIR for a QB rating, the player will quickly improve to a less than average rating, and stop there. A Coach with FAIR young talent rating but EXCELLENT at QB will take longer to get the player to the highest possible ratings the player has.

So EXCELLENT young talent combined with FAIR QB development gets you to less then maximum very quickly. FAIR young skills combined with EXCELLENT position development takes longer, but you wind up with a better player, all other things being equal.

The play calling and injury stuff is okay, but I'd say OFFENSIVE play calling is the most important rating. You can over come injuries, but bad play calling will cripple your team worse, IMO.
Hates_Cakesniffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

That's a very authoritative post, Cakesniffer. You certain about all that?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #15
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

i'm sure he has proof of all these things, but I call bull on alot of it.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #16
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Is there a print to file option for you roster? And if so where is it?
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

What's a cakesniffer?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
There is a thread in the reference thread that talks about how to run a multiplayer and single player game at the same time. I think you'll have to create a batch file, you'll find the instructions in that reference.

thanks

i was mainly concern for now with more than one league in solo play and having different team names for each league i create..

Passacaglia mention "If you create a new directory for each league, the team names will be different."

not clear on how to do this ..

i just want to create three different solo leagues..one will be fictional with the default fictional city and nickname that comes with the game, another fictional league with different fictional players names with real nfl team name and one with real players with real nfl team names...

do i just create these three leagues and save it in the game ...so whenever i load up the league i want to play it will have the right team name?

thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

What does "dola" mean?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #20
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
What does "dola" mean?
Are you asking for real?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
What's a cakesniffer?

It's a pejorative term from the "Lemony Snicket" series of books.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
Hates_Cakesniffers
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
That's a very authoritative post, Cakesniffer. You certain about all that?

What are you doubting? I'm surprised you disagree with any of it, for if I were to cite my authorities, I would say "QS posts over the years"
Old 11-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #23
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hates_Cakesniffers
Very little of the above is true.

Discipline means penalties. The better the rating, the fewer the penalities your team will incur. Motivation impacts how your team does in the fourth quarter. If a high rating, you will come from behind more often than other teams. the details of how this works have not been revealed, but I've always thought it involves a boost/cut to the coach's OFF/DEF play calling ratings in the fourth quarter.

For starters, this is wrong. It was the first thing to jump out at me.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #24
Hates_Cakesniffers
n00b

Quote:

A specific one. think about what it sounds like and the most you could possibly get away with in a children's book.

BTW, if you enjoy "A Series of Unfortunate Events" you should try the book "Watch Your Mouth" which the author wrote using his real name of Daniel Handler. Definitely not for kids.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

I guess I'm inclined to agree with most of your post, Cakesniffer, but I don't really have a lot to back them up beyond intuition. For instance -- the theory about penalties (pretty widely held, I concur) seems to make sense, but I have yet to see anyone do any kind of rigorous testing to evaluate whether this is supported by game results. It would certainly make sense -- but until I see some evidence, I'm just inclined to put it under "I suspect this is how it works..."

My general sense, again is that your assessment of player development is accurate in concept - but perhaps overstated. If you have a player with perfect potential of 100 in every meaningful area, I don't think his development would simply halt at something like 40 for the sole reason that your appropriate coordinator has only a "fair" rating for his position. I agree there is a connection there (to both rapidity and limitation) but I think it's a softer connection than your thread implies.

I really wouldn't say I disagree with your post -- but rather I'm taken aback by the certainty of your offerings (and the rejection of the preceding post, which while not as detailed as yours, didn't seem to be laden with untruths).
Old 11-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Am I the only one that had to look up "pejorative?"

I still don't get what a cakesniffer is supposed to be...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #27
Hates_Cakesniffers
n00b

Yes, it wouldn't stop at 40, but it might top out at 85-90 instead of 95-100. Sorry if that was unclear. I only meant a noticable shortfall in ratings, not a disaster.

Most of us never play with lousy coaches, so its hard to figure out.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #28
Hates_Cakesniffers
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Am I the only one that had to look up "pejorative?"

I still don't get what a cakesniffer is supposed to be...

All right, I'll spell it out you stupid c*cks*ck*r.

The word is spoken by the most unpleasant little girl imaginable. To me, it works because elementary school kids are baffled by both words, thus they are equally silly and meaningless to a 10 year old.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #29
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Is there a print to file option for you roster? And if so where is it?

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...threadid=16641
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #30
jbmagic
Pro Starter

yabanci

thanks for showing us how to print to file

i cant seem to get the change_tractor.exe to work...that suppose to show how my players rating increase and decrease per season

i went to scout overview on my roster and print to file...

i put the text file of it and change_tractor.exe in same folder and ran the program...but i am getting a blank player_report.html

Player Report
( - )

Name Pos Overall Current Change Overall Future Change

do you know what i am doing wrong? and when do i suppose to run this program before i play season 1, then run it again before playing season 2, etc?

thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #31
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, I've never used that program. I just print hard copies of my roster.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:09 AM   #32
maximus
Banned

Formations Known?

When starting a career with fictional players via the player file generator/using an alternate player file I noticed that "formations known" is not on the players card. But when starting without using the "alternate player file" I noticed that formations known are in the players card. Does the player aquire the formation knowledge the longer he is in the league (3 yrs, 5 yrs, ect)?
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 AM   #33
Suicane75
Coordinator

For QB's you mean? I never noticed that.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote