Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Chelsea vs Man Yoo (League Cup semi-final) Spoilers.

Damn..

don't know whether to be stoked that Man Yoo lost AGAIN.. another year with no silverware?

or pissed that Chelski has the chance still to do the quad.

(from soccernet)

A freak goal from Damien Duff put Chelsea into the Carling Cup final with a 2-1 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford. The Irish winger's right-wing free-kick was bent into the area and took one bounce before finding its way into the back of the net. Earlier, Ryan Giggs levelled Frank Lampard's opener but Chelsea won the battle - and they may yet win the four.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I heard things got a bit crazy.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just read that Howard was in goal, but that Fergie was laying the blame on the central defenders. I guess ManU had the momentum in the second half and really looked odds on to win.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, apparently the goals scored were a result of some boneheaded defensive play. I was listening to it on Internet BBC radio and they blamed the first one on the Man U defense letting Lampard take as much time as he wanted to shoot (what were they thinking?), but the second one, they blamed everyone: Howard and the defenders.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Damn..

don't know whether to be stoked that Man Yoo lost AGAIN.. another year with no silverware?

or pissed that Chelski has the chance still to do the quad.
I recommend choice c: Unhappy that ManU lost with Howard in net.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Man Yoo lost AGAIN..

One more and they'll have matched Arsenal's "undefeated" season

Quote:
another year with no silverware?

Wishful thinking! Three comps to go yet
Old 01-27-2005, 03:41 AM   #7
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Quite accurate thinking! Three comps to finish behind Chelsea in yet

Old 01-27-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
One more and they'll have matched Arsenal's "undefeated" season

Wishful thinking! Three comps to go yet

Two and a half comps, maybe, you don't think Chelsea are gonna make it easy on ManYoo with a 10 point lead?

BTW.. Love my TiVo.. basically it grabbed all the weekend games from FSW (gonna be weird to change that to FSC starting next week) and watched em all, while attempting to sleep)
Old 01-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
varacel
n00b

It was a bad goal to conceed, but Howard probably has to take the lion's share of the blame. He backed totally away from the ball and was stood a yard behind the goalline when the ball went in. Probably the end of his United career tonight. United's need for a top keeper was underlined by the world class save made by Peter Cech in injury time.
varacel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
Bomber
High School Varsity

Sounds just about entirely Howard's fault:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=169913&cc=5901
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Scholes
High School Varsity

Quote:
Damn..

They won the FA Cup last season.... you can't hold them down.

Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
They won the FA Cup last season.... you can't hold them down.

Oh, I'm sure I can.. After all, I'd just need more rocks.. *Evil Grin*

Bloody ManUre Fans
Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, apparently the goals scored were a result of some boneheaded defensive play. I was listening to it on Internet BBC radio and they blamed the first one on the Man U defense letting Lampard take as much time as he wanted to shoot (what were they thinking?), but the second one, they blamed everyone: Howard and the defenders.

I don't think it was so much that they gave Lampard too much time to shoot as that they completely lost track of him before he got the ball. He didn't really need all that much time; one touch to control it, then a shot. Because nobody was covering him, they couldn't recover in time to stop him.

The second one was a very good free kick, but if there had anyone standing in that bit of the six yard box or standing on the post then they would have been able to keep it out. Look at Bridge's clearance off the line just afterwards for contrast.

To be fair to Howard, he did pull off a couple of good saves just before Giggs' goal to keep United in it. Up until the second goal, he'd actually made quite a good case to be ahead of Carroll.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Two and a half comps, maybe, you don't think Chelsea are gonna make it easy on ManYoo with a 10 point lead?

It's January and the season isn't over until May. If Chelsea are to lose that lead it will most likely come about through injuries. They've been very lucky so far (Utd have had two periods where they had 8/9 players out) and if, say Drogba and Gudjohnsen are injured for a few weeks, they could well start dropping points - or even just Robben who's made an enormous difference to their ability to score. At three points a win the situation can change VERY quickly. Who would have thought Utd would have caught Arsenal so quickly?

If they stay injury free then it will be difficult to catch them but the fat lady hasn't even entered the arena yet

As for Howard. I think he's gone now. That was a very bad error. Sure the defence was at fault but that's when a 'keeper is put to the test. But it was a combination of common errors for him - his poor judgement on when to leave his goalline, his lack of confidence on crosses and domination of his goal area and poor communication with his defenders.

I don't think he can take the pressure. He clearly is a talented 'keeper but the pressure robs him of that talent. I think his tourettes gets through - the reports are that he was twitching badly during the game. It can't be good for him and it may be better that he plays at a club where the pressure isn't as high.

I think Alex is already looking for a new 'keeper. Neither Howard nor Carroll are up to Champions League standards.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

There was talk that Fergie was going to go after Fulham's Van der Sar, but I guess Edwin has just signed a new contract.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote