Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
All that crap made me think of the Periodic Table of the Elements. I have no idea where to go with that, though. *sigh*

I had the same reaction.

I locked myself out I was so sure I had it :P

I took the "initials" of each song title(PR for purple rain) etc, the only 'tricky' one was runnin on empty, i went with RE there.

They are:

Pr - purple rain
Re - runnin on empty
?? - our still unknown song
Sn - Silent night
Xe - Xray Eyes
Am - Aint Misbehavin
Cs - Cheap Sunglasses
Sc - Space Cowboy
Ti - Thunder Island
Fe - Fur Elise
Rb - Roadhouse Blues
Hg - higher ground

Now here's where I made my mistake. I pulled up a periodic chart and started searching. I *thought* I did not find CS on the chart. So i tried ZZ Top's lead singer as the password. Last name, first/last, thought I typod it and tried again, zztop itself, and then lead singers first+MI+last...

then I got locked out, whoops.

Then i searched again and found that CS is cesium, and I just messed up while searching.

So, every one of those is an element on the periodic table. This could purely be coincidence of course, and I still have no clue on the children's song, and even if this is right I'm not sure what to do with it.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #52
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

The missing song is Blow a Kiss by Laurie Berkner. Had a bit of a hard time coming up with a song to fit there, so I apologize for the obscurity.
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #53
Radii
Head Coach

aaannnnnd, BK is Berkelium, #97.

I have a table at work w/ the atomic number of each of the above (in my post before this one) but hopefully someone will just solve this overnight while I'm not here.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma
Pivotal, no. That particular line is no more important than the others, it was just ultimately chosen for the same reason. But the puzzle could be solved without figuring out that line; that is to say, the key to transforming the other clues has nothing to do with that one. But to give you a hint on the song, let's just say that it's a reference you would likely only get if you have kids.

So, carry on, and study that clue. I'll keep popping in periodically to see how you're doing.

Ok. Enigma later repsonded and said he gave a clue in this post. I assume that clue is "periodically"

Then he said "pretty noble of me" ... a reference to Noble gases(isn't that another name for the inert gases? The elements going down the right side of the periodic table) ?

So I am pretty certain we are on the right path... I just can't make the next step yet.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #55
mhass
High School Varsity

Atomic #/Atomic Weight
Pr - 59 / 140.9
Re - 75 / 186.2
Bk - 97 / 247.1
Sn - 50 / 118.7
Xe - 54 / 131.3
Am - 95 / 243.1
Cs - 55 / 132.9
Sc - 21 / 44.96
Ti - 22 / 47.88
Fe - 26 / 55.85
Rb - 37 / 85.47
Hg - 80 / 200.6

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #56
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Years?

Pr - 1959
Re - 1975
Bk - 1997
Sn - 1950
Xe - 1954
Am - 1995
Cs - 1955
Sc - 1921
Ti - 1922
Fe - 1926
Rb - 1937
Hg - 1980

Going back to the title, "Take Me To Your Leader" could mean a statistical leader in a major sport.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 02-15-2005 at 10:08 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #57
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
"Take Me To Your Leader"

Lead is on the periodic table, too, is it not?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #58
QuikSand
lolzcat

Without plotting the various elements, I don't see any connection -- it's not like they line up in any particular columns or anything... something that might lead us to an obviously "missing" element, or something like that.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #59
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

At this point, you pretty much just have to look at the list and have it dawn on you really. But I will say that one of the items is very unique, and is inherently different from the others.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't know about "very unique" (sic), but Xenon is an inert gas -- only one on the list of that sort. If that was a standout clue, it didn't stand out to me at all... I'm just fishing now.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #61
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
At this point, you pretty much just have to look at the list and have it dawn on you really. But I will say that one of the items is very unique, and is inherently different from the others.

Helium--which is not on the list--is associated with the Sun (dawn) and was not discovered on Earth--making it "very unique."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 AM   #62
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'd say the clue here is "inherently different" which leads me to Xenon, the inert gas (which also fits with enigma's "noble" clue earlier since their called "noble gases". That being said, it has no particular tie that I see to "Take Me To Your Leader." [Careens into brick wall.]

Old 02-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #63
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

No intended word play in that last post. Just look at the list mhass posted and see if you notice anything.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #64
mhass
High School Varsity

That's the jersey #'s for NE's defense.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #65
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

SOLVED.

The solution was crennel,the leader of New England's defense.

The solution to Enigma #32 may be derived as follows.

Each of the twelve clues is a line (or notes) to a song, and the first step is to identify the songs in question.

Purple Rain - I only wanted one time to see you laughing
Running on Empty - Looking into their eyes I see them running too
Blow a Kiss - 97 - I might be sailing on a boat, with a chicken or a duck and a goat
Silent Night - All Is Calm, All Is Bright
X-Ray Eyes - I'm the one, the one and only, in the end, baby you'll be lonely
Ain't Misbehavin' - Your kisses are worth waitin' for
Cheap Sunglasses - She had a west coast strut that was sweet as molasses
Space Cowboy - You know I'm ready for the final surprise
Thunder Island - She was the color of the Indian Summer
Fur Elise - E D# E D# E B D C A
Roadhouse Blues - The future's uncertain, and the end is always near
Higher Ground - I'm so glad that I know more than I knew then

The titles of the songs are what you are looking for. Clues with what to do with these are present in the original post:

Sharpen your musical recollections to chart your course through the dozen clues (with minimal Googling, please). Use what you find to punctuate the puzzle with its coda. If the effort becomes tabled, I can help you along.

The bolded words are intended to point you in the direction of the periodic (punctuate, coda) table (or chart) of elements. If you take the first letter of each word of the song titles (excepting 'a', 'on'), you will have the abbreviations to twelve elements: Pr, Re, Bk, Sn, Xe, Am, Cs, Sc, Ti, Fe, Rb, and Hg.

Looking these up in the table, you will get the numbers 59, 75, 97, 50, 54, 95, 55, 21, 22, 26, 37, 80. These correlate with the uniform numbers of the starters - and a key contributor - for the defensive unit of the World Champion New England Patriots.

Their leader (hint from the title)?

crennel
New puzzle should be up in day or two.
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.

Last edited by enigma : 02-16-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

nicely done.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #67
cuervo72
Head Coach

Freddie Mitchell would have had a bitch of a time with this puzzle...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #68
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Freddie Mitchell would have had a bitch of a time with this puzzle...

Perfect.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #69
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

New puzzle posted. Enigma #33 is ready.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=36029