DanGarion
Coordinator

This is why you don't litter.

He got what he deserved!

As seen here hxxp://www.local6.com/news/4211011/detail.html

Quote:
Man Throws Lit Cigarette Out Window, Sets SUV Ablaze

POSTED: 9:15 am EST February 18, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO -- A 20-year-old man barely escaped serious injury Thursday after a lit cigarette he tried to toss out the window while driving across the Bay Bridge blew back in and ignited the vehicle, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Jonathan Fish, of San Francisco, was driving westbound at about 10:40 a.m. when he tossed the cigarette out the window of his Ford Expedition, said CHP Officer Shawn Chase.

Carried by the wind, the cigarette landed in his back seat and almost immediately burst into flames. The man quickly pulled to the side of the road, and jumped from the flame-filled SUV, which continued rolling into a guard rail, Chase said.

"He thought he had thrown it in park, but he didn't and it just kept going," the officer said. "It was in flames by the time he got out. He had some of his hair singed on the back of his head. It burnt down to the frame. There was nothing left."

The incident forced the closure of the Harrison Street exit ramp and one lane of traffic flowing into the city for about an hour.

He said the man will likely face a misdemeanor charge for littering.

"We see people throwing cigarettes out the window all the time but never a situation like this where it comes back in," Chase said. "This guy was lucky."

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

What the hell was on his back seat? Damn!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good. I fucking hate it when assholes in front of me drop their cigs out the window and they end up hitting my car. I feel like pulling in front of them and tossing a full 64 oz. slurpie out my window - the red stuff, so when it hits their windshield, they can't see where they are going.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-18-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why is it that people will drop used cigarettes when they won't drop other kinds of litter. I used to clean up a parking lot for a grocery store, and there would be 1.8 billion used cigs for every piece of other trash on the ground, despite the fact that we had big ashtrays in the front of the store.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Klinglerware
College Starter

People who chuck cigarettes out the window annoy me too. But how could they charge him with littering if the thing landed back in his car?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
"We see people throwing cigarettes out the window all the time but never a situation like this where it comes back in," Chase said. "This guy was lucky."

Chase must be the most unlucky guy ever.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Good. I fucking hate it when assholes in front of me drop their cigs out the window and they end up hitting my car. I feel like pulling in front of them and tossing a full 64 oz. slurpie out my window - the red stuff, so when it hits their windshield, they can't see where they are going.

What he said.

When I'm motorcycle riding, this is my biggest pet peeve.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh, I love reading about douchebags getting their comeupance...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
People who chuck cigarettes out the window annoy me too. But how could they charge him with littering if the thing landed back in his car?

Good point.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

To lighten my mood a bit on a semi-related story, when a good friend of mine moved from Tallahassee to Orlando, another friend and I drove his car down while he drove the UHaul. We had his dog (a Shar-Pei) in the backseat of the car, and about 2 hours in, my friend decides that maybe the dog is thirsty, so he fills up a big cup of water and offers it to the dog. The dog sniffs around it, sticks his nose in it, but decides he isn't interested.

So now my buddy's got a full cup of water and nowhere to put it. So he rolls down the window and tosses the water out - at which point, since we were doing about 80 MPH on the highway, the entire cup of water immediately flies back into the car - as if a solid block - into the backseat, and smacks the dog square in the face. One of the funniest moments in my life. The look on that dog's face - a Shar-Pei, no less - was priceless. And when he shook, I was awfully glad it wasn't my car.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They outta put a 5 cent "litter disposal" fee on each cigarette. Its crazy how people will throw them anywhere.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite littering story is from a guy I used to work with. His name was Rusty,and he was a wild man.

Rusty's brother is driving along the highway moving at a good clip. Rusty is in the passenger seat tipping back a bottle of beer. Rusty looks ahead, and notices a Highway Patrol Car parked on the side of the road ahead looking for speeders and surely not to miss someone taking a big swig from a freshly opened bottle of beer. Rusty panicked, and threw the bottle from the car. The momentum of the car he was a passenger in, carried over somewhat to the full bottle of beer he had just chucked. The bottle carried quite a ways. In fact all the way to the Patrol Car, where is smashed into a shower of foam and glass when it impacted it's hood.

When Rusty appeared before a judge on Littering charges that carried a mandatory $1000 fine, he pled not guilty. The judge mentioned that according to his paper work the bottle of beer he allegedly threw actually hit a patrol car. At which point Rusty declared "That's right. It was Vandalism...not Littering.". Now Vandalism was a more serious offense, but since it didn't carry a $1000 fine, Rusty didn't mind. The judge said it was a creative argument, but still held him responsible for the littering fine.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
My favorite littering story is from a guy I used to work with. His name was Rusty,and he was a wild man.

Rusty's brother is driving along the highway moving at a good clip. Rusty is in the passenger seat tipping back a bottle of beer. Rusty looks ahead, and notices a Highway Patrol Car parked on the side of the road ahead looking for speeders and surely not to miss someone taking a big swig from a freshly opened bottle of beer. Rusty panicked, and threw the bottle from the car. The momentum of the car he was a passenger in, carried over somewhat to the full bottle of beer he had just chucked. The bottle carried quite a ways. In fact all the way to the Patrol Car, where is smashed into a shower of foam and glass when it impacted it's hood.

When Rusty appeared before a judge on Littering charges that carried a mandatory $1000 fine, he pled not guilty. The judge mentioned that according to his paper work the bottle of beer he allegedly threw actually hit a patrol car. At which point Rusty declared "That's right. It was Vandalism...not Littering.". Now Vandalism was a more serious offense, but since it didn't carry a $1000 fine, Rusty didn't mind. The judge said it was a creative argument, but still held him responsible for the littering fine.

Doh! Must have been the worst feeling in the world to helplessly watch that bottle flying through the air knowing it might hit the police car.

Back on subject, people who throw cigs out their window always annoy me to no end. I always want to pull them over, smack them in the head, and yell "you have an ashtray in the car fuckhead, USE IT".
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tategter
Doh! Must have been the worst feeling in the world to helplessly watch that bottle flying through the air knowing it might hit the police car.

Back on subject, people who throw cigs out their window always annoy me to no end. I always want to pull them over, smack them in the head, and yell "you have an ashtray in the car fuckhead, USE IT".
Yeah, but then all they do is dump the ashtray out when they get to the parking lot...
Old 02-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Don't birds eat the cigarette butts?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #16
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware

Maybe that smoldering hunk of metal he left at the side of the road?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Don't birds eat the cigarette butts?
Yeah and then die.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #18
Shepp
High School Varsity

I used to write tickets to people who would throw cigarette butts out of their car windows but after about the 100th one got thrown out of traffic court I figured I was just wasting my time
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Ack! We've got a copper in here!!!! Quick, hide the hookers and drugs, rkmsuf...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote