Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

FM--Essential Leagues to include

Getting ready to start up a new career with the new patch...

As an avid fan of the series, but one who has a limited computer...I'm curious as to what leagues you guys think are absolutely essential to include in a long-term career...

I'm going to start in the English First League...so I'll need to include the 1st-Champ-and Premier Leagues...that's 3...

I also fancy myself as the savior of the US National Team, so I'll include the MLS...that's 4...

The Italian A league--or whatever they call the top league, seems to carry great players, and teams that will compete at the highest levels for players and the Championship...that's 5...

I'd like to add 3 more leagues...I've found my games work best with 8 leagues and a Medium database...

What three do you recommend?

Germany
Holland
Spain
France
Portugal
any others???

What I found in my prior career was that with just the English leagues, the US leagues, and the Scottish/Irish leagues selected, once I worked my way up to the Premiership, it was not very difficult to attract top talent because there were not that many top teams in the world seeking players...

I'm guessing/hoping that by including the top leagues in my active universe, these teams will be more aggresive and my pursuit of top players will be more difficult and uncertain.

Any thoughts?

I hate to give up my Oxford to Cardiff dream career (year 2013), but with the promise of the new patch, and my dissatisfaction with the competition for new talent, I think I've got to pull the plug.

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I always rank leaues i stiers, so if you have a good system then run down to tier 4 or whatever. But if you have a poor system or just want a really fast game then only run the first two etc.

England, Spain and Italy are the top 3 leagues in the world, so pretty essential IMHO.
Tier two - France and Germany are pretty important leagues, but not elite ones.
Tier three - Portugal and Holland are mid sized leagues whcih have some success on the European front.
Tier four - Scotland, Greece and Turkey have limited European success and are reasonably important.
Tier five - I would think of adding Brazil and Argentina here before any more European nations
Tier six - Nations which have only very occasional succes in European competitions such as Poland, Czech Republic, the Scandinavian countries, Russia and Ukraine
Tier seven - Just about anyone else. If you have the PC capable, just filler up.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

yeah, that seems like a pretty good guide...

I hate using the MLS as one of my leagues, but with my desire to be the eventual US national coach, I think I need them...

Even if I hit the "include players" option for the US, I don't think new players will be generated at the same rate as they would with the MLS, or at the same talent level.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra
yeah, that seems like a pretty good guide...

I hate using the MLS as one of my leagues, but with my desire to be the eventual US national coach, I think I need them...

Even if I hit the "include players" option for the US, I don't think new players will be generated at the same rate as they would with the MLS, or at the same talent level.

You don't need the MLS to try to be the US National team, the national teams/international play is in the game regardless. Remember, the MLS is not an "elite" league in the world.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
I always rank leaues i stiers, so if you have a good system then run down to tier 4 or whatever. But if you have a poor system or just want a really fast game then only run the first two etc.

England, Spain and Italy are the top 3 leagues in the world, so pretty essential IMHO.
Tier two - France and Germany are pretty important leagues, but not elite ones.
Tier three - Portugal and Holland are mid sized leagues whcih have some success on the European front.
Tier four - Scotland, Greece and Turkey have limited European success and are reasonably important.
Tier five - I would think of adding Brazil and Argentina here before any more European nations
Tier six - Nations which have only very occasional succes in European competitions such as Poland, Czech Republic, the Scandinavian countries, Russia and Ukraine
Tier seven - Just about anyone else. If you have the PC capable, just filler up.

I would agree with this. Turkey is a competitive league? Personally, I like to run the big three countries with all the leagues, the regulation/promotion system is what makes European soccer and the game much more exciting.

What's happen to Scotland? The premier or whatever they call it, the top league, seems to not be very competitive lately in the European competition.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
You don't need the MLS to try to be the US National team, the national teams/international play is in the game regardless. Remember, the MLS is not an "elite" league in the world.

I know...but I'm guessing that if I don't include the MLS, the quality of the American player available will suffer around 2010 or so (when I've usually built up enough credibility and the job pops open).

I've always assumed that more players, and more quality ones, will be created if that nation's domestic league is included in the list of "activated" leagues...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
vyshka
Mascot

Galatasaray and Fenerbache from Turkey frequently make the European Competitions. I can't really think of any other big name Turkish teams though.

Tanglewood's guide is pretty good. I tend to add Ireland, since I have been there many times, and try to do something with Limerick FC. I also add Russia to the mix since I spent a year there, in case I want a team there.

Do you guys run all the leagues in full detail, or just the few where you think you might manage in your career?

I just built an AMD64 system with 2GB RAM, and have added Argentina and Brazil to the nations I run. Maybe when IBM's Cell processor is out we will actually be able to run all leagues at full detail in a reasonable time frame. I can run 37 leagues on my system at a pace well enough to play.

Last edited by vyshka : 03-03-2005 at 08:26 PM.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra
I know...but I'm guessing that if I don't include the MLS, the quality of the American player available will suffer around 2010 or so (when I've usually built up enough credibility and the job pops open).

I've always assumed that more players, and more quality ones, will be created if that nation's domestic league is included in the list of "activated" leagues...

You can retain players from the countries you want to manage.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
What's happen to Scotland? The premier or whatever they call it, the top league, seems to not be very competitive lately in the European competition.
Scotland have always had one main problem - simply put they've two competitive teams in their league and the rest are much smaller clubs, this means that its hard to keep Rangers and Celtics players at the peak of their performances because they simply don't have to exert themselves week in week out to win matches.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote