Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #51
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I saw the highlights of the Russian antics. Seemed pretty bush league assuming (and this may be a bad assumption) that the US wasn't doing anything equally bad to bring on the situation.

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #52
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, interesting story on TSN just now. Apparently the Canadians aren't too happy with the way the Russians showed up the US last night, although they're choosing their words carefully. But Bob McKenzie raised an interesting issue: apparently Alexander Ovechkin (Russia's best player, as well as the guy behind most of the poor sportsmanship) has a superstition where immediately before each game he skates to the other team's goalie and fakes shooting a puck into the net.

McKenzie, who's well respected and not exactly given to overhyping stories, said that the Canadians have told the IIHF in no uncertain terms to make sure Ovechkin doesn't try it Tuesday night. McKenzie went so far as to say that if Ovechkin tries it, it could be "another Piestany" -- a reference to the infamous 1987 WJC bench-clearing brawl between Canada and the USSR.

As if you needed another reason to watch... yikes.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-04-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #53
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Wow, interesting story on TSN just now. Apparently the Canadians aren't too happy with the way the Russians showed up the US last night, although they're choosing their words carefully. But Bob McKenzie raised an interesting issue: apparently Alexander Ovechkin (Russia's best player, as well as the guy behind most of the poor sportsmanship) has a superstition where immediately before each game he skates to the other team's goalie and fakes shooting a puck into the net.

McKenzie, who's well respected and not exactly given to overhyping stories, said that the Canadians have told the IIHF in no uncertain terms to make sure Ovechkin doesn't try it Tuesday night. McKenzie went so far as to say that if Ovechkin tries it, it could be "another Piestany" -- a reference to the infamous 1987 WJC bench-clearing brawl between Canada and the US.

As if you needed another reason to watch... yikes.

Wow, I'll be watching tomorrow night on ESPN2. Go Canada and Nigel Dawes!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #54
samifan24
Pro Starter

Dola- If Ovechkin and Malkin don't learn their lesson tomorrow night against Canada, you can bet that they will learn it whenever the NHL returns.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #55
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I would like nothing better than for Dion Phaneuf to have a little run in with Ovechkin...

Go Canada Go!
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #56
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Wow, I'll be watching tomorrow night on ESPN2. Go Canada and Nigel Dawes!

Is it a certainty that the game is going to be on TV? I haven't done any research yet, but just thought someone could give me a definitive answer before I'd find anything.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #57
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
McKenzie went so far as to say that if Ovechkin tries it, it could be "another Piestany" -- a reference to the infamous 1987 WJC bench-clearing brawl between Canada and the US.
Come on Maple Leafs! How could you make a mistake like that?

Last edited by Karim : 01-04-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:37 AM   #58
Karim
College Starter

The worst thing I've seen is still Kovalchuk whooping it up while scoring an empty net goal with one hand on the stick.

That and Frolov spitting in Sutherby's face. Frolov still hasn't been adqequately reminded...

And during the Russia Challenge against the WHL All-Stars, one of them spit in Phaneuf's face. I'm not sure if he's on this Russian team but I hope he is...

Last edited by Karim : 01-04-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #59
Travis
Pro Rookie

Man, I hadn't heard that about Ovechkin before, but I'm surprised nobody has 'stopped' that little pregame ritual before this. I never played at a super high level, but even in bush league, as a defensemen, I wouldn't let an opposing player come anywhere near our goalie during warmups.

Hopefully we're allowed to hit tonight, some of these ref's are horrible, anybody heard who is going to be in charge tonight?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 AM   #60
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's the transcript of McKenzie's report about Ovechkin's antics:
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=109954
Old 01-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Is it a certainty that the game is going to be on TV? I haven't done any research yet, but just thought someone could give me a definitive answer before I'd find anything.

Agreed. Do we have confirmation that the game will be on ESPN2?

A man needs to know these things to put the wife on proper notice.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #62
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Do we have confirmation that the game will be on ESPN2?

A man needs to know these things to put the wife on proper notice.

Apparently not
Old 01-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #63
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Interesting. As soon as I made my post above I saw some little " What's coming up on ESPN(2) " Ticker at the top of some page over there and it said the game was going to be on ESPN at 8 eastern.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #64
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Those fuckers. I was referring to the "What to Look For" piece that is at the top of the front page of ESPN.com. It's not listed anymore like it was late last night. I don't doubt that it has something to do with the Orange Bowl being tapped on ABC tonight.

I'm pissed.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #65
Simms
FOBL Commish

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #66
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

(I think Team Canada is going to win...)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #67
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Any drama so far? Score update?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #68
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

6-1 Canada after 40 minutes says TSN.CA
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #69
Simms
FOBL Commish

6-1 Canada....10 mins to go.

Ovechkin got hit every time he touched the puck and after missing most of the 2nd to get his shoulder worked on, he was in street clothes at the start of the 3rd.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #70
Simms
FOBL Commish

Over. 6-1 final.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #71
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The score was flattering to the Russians, if it's possible. The only real drama was seeing how many times Ovechkin could get drilled before his night was over (he ended up leaving the game after two periods).

And no hot-dogging or other antics, on either side.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #72
Blade6119
Coordinator

Did he do the little warm-up thing? AND HELL YAH TO OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS....YOU GUYS JUST MADE MY NIGHT, AND NOW USC IS KILLING OHKLAHOMA!!! I LIKE TONIGHT, SO THANK YOU AGAIN FOR HUMILIATING THOSE PRICKS AND NOT US!!!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #73
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i love canada now. love em!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #74
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

They didn't show the warmup, but they never mentioned it so I'll assume it didn't happen tonight (which proves that he's smarter than he looks).
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #75
Johnny93g
College Starter

BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 AM   #76
Karim
College Starter

Arguably the best team ever iced at the world juniors...

Phaneuf named best defenceman and Carter named best forward...

Bergeron was MVP...
Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #77
andy m
High School Varsity

this thread is hilarious.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #78
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
And no hot-dogging or other antics, on either side.
I would have laughed soo hard if they had done their antics when scoring that lone goal when they were down like 4-0...that would have been funny...Canada is my new favorite country borded to america!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #79
bbor
Pro Starter

That Russian coach had to be the worst i had ever seen.Why would he not have Malkin and Ovech on the PP together?

Why not call a T.O when the game goes 4-1 to settle your team down??

Why be bullied by Canadas not to play your best player because Canada is line matching??

Guy was a complete moron.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #80
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

bbor I agree, I also don't think he should have yanked the goalie after the third goal, ya it was a weak one, but the score was still close and now you're throwing a cold backup to the wolves.

My favorite moment was when Dion Phaneuf pretended to be a bowling ball and narowly missed one russian, only to cream the russian behind him instead.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #81
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, I think this pretty much cements it. Canada has won every major tournament there is over the last few years. Olympics, World Championships, Canada/World Cup, and now the World Juniors. It's a high time for Canadian hockey.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #82
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Jumping in late here...but, I'll reiterate what many Canucks have already said...WJC is synonamous with Christmas/New Year's and I'm always stoked to watch Christmas morning.

Great to see our boys dominate every opponent, but that sometimes makes for boring hockey when it is so one-sided. I'd have to say that the USA/Russia game Christmas Day was probably the best game of the tourney...especially the 2nd period. It was run 'n' gun with both teams just pouring it on for the full 20 minutes...just great all around game for both sides!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #83
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
Jumping in late here...but, I'll reiterate what many Canucks have already said...WJC is synonamous with Christmas/New Year's and I'm always stoked to watch Christmas morning.

Great to see our boys dominate every opponent, but that sometimes makes for boring hockey when it is so one-sided. I'd have to say that the USA/Russia game Christmas Day was probably the best game of the tourney...especially the 2nd period. It was run 'n' gun with both teams just pouring it on for the full 20 minutes...just great all around game for both sides!!!

I gotta ask how you can be bored watching your team just crush everyone they played.......I enjoyed every second of it...They were classy, they played hard, smart, and a fun brand of hockey....Sure it wasnt that competetive, but thats because this team was so good.....I cant wait tell next years tourny in Vancouver
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #84
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Congrats to Canada, and to Grand Forks for putting on a great tournament!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #85
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Well, I think this pretty much cements it. Canada has won every major tournament there is over the last few years. Olympics, World Championships, Canada/World Cup, and now the World Juniors. It's a high time for Canadian hockey.

Don't forget Women's World Championships and Olympic Gold as well.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #86
Karim
College Starter

Check that... Ovechkin was named top forward, not Carter.

On the TSN feed, Gretzky was handing out medals and shaking the players' hands. Syvret completely ignored Gretzky and left without even looking at him. Apparently, he and his parents were almost immediately bombarded with phone calls wondering about the audacity of the kid in not acknowledging the Great One. Syvret apologized later to someone in Gretzky's entourage.

Last edited by Karim : 01-06-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #87
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wait... Wayne Gretzky has an entourage?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:49 AM   #88
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Phil Kessel to commit to the Gophers tomorrow!

We got him!

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=116919
Old 03-04-2005, 06:17 AM   #89
Karim
College Starter

When I heard the report, I figured Cards would be happy...
Old 03-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #90
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
When I heard the report, I figured Cards would be happy...

Very happy Karim!

Here's a Chucko article from todays Star Trib for you!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5272403.html

Gophers men's hockey: Little to fight about
Dean Spiros, Star Tribune
March 4, 2005 UP

There is no name for it, which seems unfortunate considering it has been Kris Chucko's signature move this season.

Time after time, the Gophers' freshman winger has found himself tied up with a member of the opposition, having either just delivered a crushing hit or finished an extended battle with a defenseman in front of the opponents' net. Then it happens.

As play turns the other way, Chucko pauses for a brief but distinct moment to look into the eyes of his fellow combatant. And then he skates away.

Facing the same situation a year ago as a member of the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the British Columbia Hockey League, Chucko often would have done what comes naturally to him -- drop the gloves.

While it didn't define him as a 16- and 17-year old standout, and it wasn't the reason Calgary made Chucko their first-round draft choice last summer, his toughness was part of the total package. So this is one freshman who has had more to adjust to than dorm food and a heavier academic workload.

"I'm not going to lie, I enjoy them," Chucko said of one-on-one hockey fights. "In my two years in juniors I think I had 16 or 17 [fights]. I think it's a good thing, it eliminates some of the chippy stuff that goes on with guys hiding behind cages."

So in those brief moments when reflex tries to take over, Chucko thinks about -- then thinks better of -- trading a few right hands.

"I was a lot hotter as a 16-year-old than I am now," Chucko said. "I'm sure that will continue to be the case next year. I just have to learn to play between the whistles. There's nothing after the whistles here."

Chucko (6-2, 207) has talked about the adjustment with teammate Danny Irmen, a player who shares the label of power forward.

"Sometimes [in hockey] when things aren't going your way a fight is a good way to turn things around," Irmen said. "That definitely was one of Kris' strong points in juniors, getting himself and his teammates in the game. And from what I hear he's pretty good at it."

Added Gophers coach Don Lucia: "He wasn't afraid to throw 'em."

Chucko had 161 penalty minutes in 53 games last season. Silverbacks coach Garry Davidson said that as one of the team's top scorers Chucko was keyed on by most opponents.

"But they found out he could look after himself," Davidson said. The Gophers found that out, too.

"We saw him as a prototypical power forward," Lucia said, "and maybe not the type of player you see a lot in the state of Minnesota. We thought he was someone we could really use in our lineup."

But he's in the lineup -- and considered an excellent NHL prospect -- because he can play the game.

"The reason I came here was because I needed to get better skill-wise," Chucko said. "So the fact that [fighting] isn't allowed helps me. You have to learn to play a different game. There aren't as many big guys here, so you have to be faster and be more skilled."

Lucia said Chucko has improved in those areas as the season has progressed.

"I think he'll take a big stride next year," he said. "He's good around the net. He can make plays and make passes in tight areas and he's got a good shot.

"He's going to be a solid 215 or more when next season rolls around."

In other words, a true heavyweight.

Dean Spiros is at [email protected].