Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Winning Eleven 8 Question

For those of you that own this game, I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions before I purchase it.

First, is it a game that I'll enjoy if I have virtually no current knowledge of soccer?

Second, how well do you like the career mode? I read a review online and it sounded very good, but I was wondering if there are any problems that crop up over time (like being able to get any player you want, or players developing so much that teams are full of stars, or whatever else might come up).

Third, how many games are in a season? Is soccer like Baseball with 162 game marathon seasons, or is it more like football with 16 game seasons? Somewhere in between?

Fourth, related to the third question, do you play out each of your games?

Fifth, how long does a game take to play out?

Sixth, how much have you actually played it? (I've been impressed by games in the past but found for one reason or another that after the first week or so I put it on the shelf and never played it again, even though it was a fine game.)

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Seventh, how the hell do you score goals? I've played maybe 7 matches and only scored 1 goal. When playing vs my buddy, I was able to score in each game against him, but I'm at 1 goal in 7 games vs the AI. I've practiced, done some tutorials and all that stuff. Any general tips would be appreciated.

I was glad when I finally won my first game (1-6 vs the AI) on penalty kicks. I think maybe I should turn down the difficulty level, as I can't seem to score goals on the default level. My D is pretty good, I've given up 0 or 1 goals in 6 of my 7 games.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
For those of you that own this game, I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions before I purchase it.

First, is it a game that I'll enjoy if I have virtually no current knowledge of soccer?

Second, how well do you like the career mode? I read a review online and it sounded very good, but I was wondering if there are any problems that crop up over time (like being able to get any player you want, or players developing so much that teams are full of stars, or whatever else might come up).

Third, how many games are in a season? Is soccer like Baseball with 162 game marathon seasons, or is it more like football with 16 game seasons? Somewhere in between?

Fourth, related to the third question, do you play out each of your games?

Fifth, how long does a game take to play out?

Sixth, how much have you actually played it? (I've been impressed by games in the past but found for one reason or another that after the first week or so I put it on the shelf and never played it again, even though it was a fine game.)

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

1. Probably, although some basic understanding might help. The training mode might help you pick stuff up fairly quickly.

2. Career mode if rather interesting, but suprisingly fun. Rather than having a budget and salaries, you basically get points based on performance. Do well buy good players, do poorly have to sell good players. Differerent but seems to work fairly well. I haven't played too many years in, so not sure if you become an unbeatable dynasty after a while.

3. I believe it's 38 (or it is in the English league). Can't recall off hand about the Master League (career mode)

4. Yes, you have to I think.

5. Depends on how long you set the game length. I choose 30 minutes (real time), you can choose down to 10 minutes I believe.

6. Played it alot ... more than most console games. Then again, I like soccer, but it has alot of replayability IMO.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with all of these answers. I still play this more than any other console sports game (but MVP is catching up.)

As far as 7th.. Cristiano Ronaldo helps a lot.. I can score in the lower leagues like crazy with him

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-09-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I tried being Brazil or Spain against a crappy team like Senegal (or someone) and I still lost 1-0. It's almost 5 AM, but I'm gonna boot up a game now I think. Just a few vauge, general tips for scoring would be tremendous. Thanks in advance...or better yet, is this game discussed on operationsports or another forum site like that?
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Yeah, I tried being Brazil or Spain against a crappy team like Senegal (or someone) and I still lost 1-0. It's almost 5 AM, but I'm gonna boot up a game now I think. Just a few vauge, general tips for scoring would be tremendous. Thanks in advance...or better yet, is this game discussed on operationsports or another forum site like that?

Pass the ball around a lot to try and open up holes for your forwards. The more you pass it around, the better the chance of forcing the defense out of position. Use the triangle button to send angled through balls for your forwards. Try double-tap crosses from the wings for headed goals.

Instead of forcing a play into the opponent's end, reset the offense by giving the ball back to your defense if nothing is open.

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-10-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #7
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Assuming you have PS2, use the R2 button when around opponents to run. You'll run a little slower, but it makes it harder for opponents to push you off the ball. One of the big things that has helped me out is stopping the ball completely with the R2 button. Practice stopping the ball in front of an opponent and when he starts to come up to defend you, you can just move diagonally while holding R2 and move past the defender easily.