Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Scholes
High School Varsity

Blue Ice (Not Blue Steel)

Sabres Try Blue Ice

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- If the ice is colored a soft shade of blue, what does that make hockey's blue lines? Orange of course.

Don't adjust your TV sets -- the Buffalo Sabres are using Rochester, their AHL farm club, to try out a new colored ice surface that could become the standard once the NHL resumes playing.

The first test comes Sunday, when Rochester plays Cleveland at Buffalo.

"It's an experiment, let's leave it at that," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said Tuesday while watching Rochester practice.

Quinn said the test came after NHL officials discussed whether changing the ice color from white would enhance how the game is viewed by fans in arenas and on television.

The Sabres offered to try it and, after some experimentation, settled on painting the sheet in what they call "electric powder blue." To offset the new colored surface, arena officials decided to make the blue lines fluorescent orange, which is also the color used for the faceoff circles.

The center line, normally red, is now dark blue.

NHL officials will attend the game to study the changes and how the new colors might affect the play or change the viewing experience. The Sabres will also produce a game video that will be sent to the league offices for review.

"We'll monitor it for sure," NHL spokesman Frank Brown said.

At first glance, the new color schemes are distinctive. The blue provides a softer tone than the glare that generally reflects off the white surface.

"It gives a very good first impression," Rochester Americans president Steve Donner said. "When you first walk into the building, it's like, 'Wow."'

Americans' players liked it.

"It's kind of cool, actually," forward Thomas Vanek said. "It doesn't affect my game."

Goaltender Ryan Miller said he initially had difficulty picking up the puck, but is in favor of changing colors if it helps market the game.

"Any kind of change would help," Miller said. "If they feel like people aren't able to watch or follow on TV, we should make it more television-friendly."

There's only one question left if the new colors ever came into effect: what would you call a defenseman?

"Guess, I'd become an orange-liner," Jeff Jillson said.

My first impression was that it reminded me of roller hockey. I think it looks alright, but I'm not sure if I want it in the NHL.

Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Would this make it easier to follow the puck on TV? I'm not sure I understand why that is. I'm not sure that people can't pick up the puck because of "glare."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Scholes
High School Varsity

Agreed. I think the black puck on white ice is as good visually as you're going to get. I think people can't follow because it's small, moving quickly, hidden by the boards, and being overshadowed by giant hockey players. Blue ice isn't going to change any of that.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
Agreed. I think the black puck on white ice is as good visually as you're going to get. I think people can't follow because it's small, moving quickly, hidden by the boards, and being overshadowed by giant hockey players. Blue ice isn't going to change any of that.

Unless they add some strobe lights and Barry White music.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Unless they add some strobe lights and Barry White music.

Lionel Ritchie.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Ksyrup

That would work quite well. Throw in some Jackson Browne and James Brown, and we'd have "music to beat your opponent (or get beaten by your opponent) to."
Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
mhass
High School Varsity

I'm going to go out on a limb and say blue ice isn't going to rehab hockey. Blue Man Group, yes. Blue ice, no.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

They saw Boise State's blue football field and figured "Hey, that drew a few fans, we'll try the same!"
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote