Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

Student sues school that caught him cheating

Of course, the class was Corporate Ethics. Oh, the irony.

hxxp://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

Suspended UD student sues school

A University of Delaware student who was suspended after he was caught cheating on a test in a corporate ethics class is suing the school to be reinstated.

Frank Tenteromano, a senior, contends in his Chancery Court lawsuit filed last week that he did not know the quiz in the class Seminar in Corporate Governance was, in fact, a quiz.

He claims the class was not told it was a quiz, other students were "collaborating" and that the seminar "by its very nature, encouraged collaboration and discussion," according to the lawsuit.

Neither Tenteromano, who is a resident of Brooklyn, N.Y., according to a campus directory, nor his attorney, Jason Powell, of Wilmington, could be reached for comment Friday.

University officials would not comment. In the school's response to the lawsuit, however, attorneys said it was clear the professor was administering a quiz on March 10.

"All students were advised to remove materials from their desks and were handed a form with five questions," the school explained in court papers.

During the quiz, two teaching assistants saw Tenteromano and another student examining each other's answers. Afterward, the professor reviewed both students' papers and found they were similar, including one answer containing identical wording, according to the school.

Tenteromano claims in his lawsuit that he was denied due process and that his punishment of a two-semester suspension and receiving an F in the disputed class was "arbitrary and capricious."

His attorney has also asked the court for a temporary restraining order to prevent the university from carrying out the suspension so Tenteromano can graduate as scheduled this month.

School officials said Tenteromano claimed he did not know it was a quiz when confronted but also claimed teaching assistants had been "underhanded."

Before the university judicial system reviewed the matter, Tenteromano "boasted that he 'look(ed) forward to seeing (the University) in court' " in an e-mail, the university said.

University attorneys said a school hearing officer reviewed the case and Tenteromano's claims before finding he was guilty of violating the school's code of conduct for academic honesty.

While the other student involved received a lesser punishment, Tenteromano had three previous violations of the school's code of conduct, including for alcohol, and had been put on "deferred suspension" until graduation, according to court papers.

School officials said in the university's motion to oppose a temporary restraining order that Tenteromano's punishment was adjusted to allow him to complete his other classes for the semester and that he could complete the rest of his work and graduate when his suspension ends in the summer of 2006.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Obviously, this kid has bad parents.

If that ever happened to my kid, I'd beat the crap outta him for even pondering the notion of a lawsuit. I don't care if he's 30 years old... this sort of lack of accountability is bullshit.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cut off his dick.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Cut off his dick.

I'm a professor myself, and I wholeheartedly support this solution.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Alf
Pro Starter

I would have awarded him an A. Cheating in a "Corporate Ethics" class makes perfect sense to me.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Waste of his time. He's got nothin'.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote